Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Lease End Inspection Info - Tesla Finance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

The lease on my 2015 S 85D through Tesla finance expires in a couple of weeks and I wanted to provide a brief update. Tesla reached out to me about a week ago and gave me the info for an Autovin inspection and we also scheduled my turn in date.

I have 21inch rims that I have scraped the hell out of and I got a few estimates to repair them for $125-$175 per rim.

Given that I saw Tesla only charges $125 per rim, I decided not to waste my time or money repairing them (plus I thought 1 might pass).

The day before the inspection I found my 2nd key fob and had my car washed inside and out.

I had an Autovin appointment window of 9am-1pm, but the inspector called me about 8:30am and said he was 45 minutes away.

He was very thorough and it took about 30 minutes and he indicated my report would be available within 24 hours. He showed my some tiny chips on my windshield (from rocks) that I honestly had never seen, but I guess my windshield was too clean, and they didn't concern me as I assume every windshield has them. About 6 hours later my report was available, and it had a number of surprises including 80 photos

I had some dings and scratches I was concerned about, but they all fell into "normal" wear and tear (happy surprise)

All 4 of my rims were "excessive" wear and tear but listed at $125 per wheel. (expected result)

The windshield was listed as "excessive" and needed to be replaced at an expected cost of $465 (unexpected). Again I had never seen the little chips until he pointed them out to me, and it didn't sit right with me. I checked the Tesla website and if there are more than 2 chips on the windshield that is "excessive".

I happened to be near a windshield repair place today and stopped by to see if they could repair the chips. Apparently chips cannot be repaired, only cracks, which makes no sense to me, and they also indicated there is no aftermarket windshields and only Tesla windshield can be used. I then stopped by the Tesla service center in Marietta, GA (about 1/2 mile form the glass place) and asked them to get me a quote on the windshield . The guy said he would text me the quote. 10 hours later I still haven't heard anything from him. Incidentally I normally use the Decatur, GA service center and those guys are great.

I found out that my comprehensive coverage will pay for my windshield replacement (minus $100 deductible), so I figured great I will save $365.

I emailed my Tesla lease end advisor so see if I could turn my car in and have Tesla replace the windshield. She told me know, and recommend Safelight who is a Tesla certified replacer.

I called Safelight and found out it takes a week for them to get the glass from Tesla and the price of the windshield alone id $1600.00, so I had to push my turn in back a week.

Luckily that is no big deal as the other good news is that I will finally make my 2015 S P85D my daily driver.

The point of this long post is that if I simply turned in my car assuming I'd only be charged the $465 I would have been surprised when I got a bill showing $2000 plus for the windshield. Then I have to get Tesla service to recalibrate my front camera.

Finally, I reached out to my friendly normal service advisor to see if Tesla will simply do the windshield replacement and recalibration to save me some time.

So, anyone who does the Autovin inspection prior to lease turn in should probably give themselves at least 2 weeks and don't assume the Autovin report will be the actual costs.

Just trying to post something helpful given all the help and info I have received from this forum. I will keep you all posted

• Informative
Reactions: Brettski
The windshield was listed as "excessive" and needed to be replaced at an expected cost of $465 (unexpected).
The point of this long post is that if I simply turned in my car assuming I'd only be charged the $465 I would have been surprised when I got a bill showing $2000 plus for the windshield. Then I have to get Tesla service to recalibrate my front camera.
Are you sure of that? If that's true they can come back to you with another $5K for new wheels if they determine fixing the ones you have is not possible? I would think their estimate is binding, or is there some fine print that says "this is an estimate only, actual price may be 10 times the amount"? I've never returned a Tesla lease, but other leases I returned the dealer did the inspection, then just subtracted the estimate from the trade-in value and that was it, I never had to wait for the actual repairs to take place and then cover (or be refunded?) the difference between the actual costs and estimates.

I would think if you accept their estimate, you trade the car in, pay the amount, and you're done. Have you ever heard of anyone getting charged more or getting a refund after the fact? Also, if they would come back to you saying 5x the estimated price, you should have the option to say, "in that case I will fix it myself", get the car back and keep it however long it takes to order the new windshield have the insurance company pay it, and have free few weeks of driving.