Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Lease Insurance Deductable Requirement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to car leasing -- on my second Model S and decided to lease this time.

Anyway, I just received notice from the servicing bank (US Bank) that the proof of insurance information I provided was inadequate because it didn't "show comprehensive coverage with a maximum deductable of $500". (My current deductable is $2500.

So, is this very low deductable a normal requirement for car leases? Seems like the deductable amount is an issue between the owner and insurance company, not the leasing bank. Hate to see what this will do to my premiums...

Just curious if this is something I can challenge, or if I 'm just stuck with it (my fault for not reading the fine print, I guess).

You don't own the car, the leasing company does. You are just borrowing it. They get to make the rules. Yes, a $500 deductible is commonplace for leases.

I'm new to car leasing -- on my second Model S and decided to lease this time.

Anyway, I just received notice from the servicing bank (US Bank) that the proof of insurance information I provided was inadequate because it didn't "show comprehensive coverage with a maximum deductable of $500". (My current deductable is $2500.

So, is this very low deductable a normal requirement for car leases? Seems like the deductable amount is an issue between the owner and insurance company, not the leasing bank. Hate to see what this will do to my premiums...

Just curious if this is something I can challenge, or if I 'm just stuck with it (my fault for not reading the fine print, I guess).

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones

You could possibly negotiate with them if you have significant account(s) held with them, or you put $2500 down as a deposit against damage/loss. But I suspect you wouldn't have much luck, but it can't hurt to try right?

I am leasing and it is also through US Bank. I just reviewed the insurance section and the maximum deductible is $1000, not $500. Review your lease agreement to see if your language is the same. Perhaps it varies by state.

18. INSURANCE

Unless otherwise agreed, you must provide insurance coverage in the amount and types indicated below at your expense during the Lease Term and until the Vehicle is returned to us:
A. Fire, theft and comprehensive insurance with a maximum deductible of $1,000;
B. Collision insurance with a maximum deductible of $1,000;
C. Liability insurance for bodily injury or death to any one person in the amount of $100,000 and for any one accident in the amount of $300,000 or combined single limit coverage of $300,000;
D. Property damage insurance for $50,000

my old Chevy Volt lease had a max insurance deductible of $500. I quietly upped it it $1000 after a year or so. I don't recommend doing this btw. i'm just saying it is what I did.

I didn't have any claims on my record during my 3 years with the Volt so I can't say what happened if I did. The one accident I did have I was not at fault and the at fault party covered everything.

I saw the 500 minimum, and told them the best I could do was 1000. I am, however, a US Bank customer with a mortgage, and several accounts. I believe they lack common sense, and hire people with limited cognitive ability.

I told them that he difference between a 500 and 1000 deductible equate to whether a customer could pay the 500 more if an accident should occur. Let's see, just leased a 90,000 dollar car. Are they really worried I can't cover 1000 ? I offered to put 1000 in a separate "escrow account" for the comp and collision deductibles. I know this is not the answer, but I told hem I had an umbrella policy, which doesn't resolve he issue, but it impressed them. Ultimately,my he Tesla Finance people were pretty helpful.

US Bank honestly weren't able to grasp what I was trying to do. If they want to ensure I can cover a 1000 deductible, why don't they just hold 1000 for me. They gave me the lease. This is from a company, that when I refinanced, wanted my "original" social security card. Not the copy you can get any time from ssa.gov. They solicited the refi also.

How messed up are they ? on a solicited refi they sent me, they said my title wasn't clear. My last two loans were through USBank. They said a previous loan had not been paid off.

When asked, they said the unpaid loan was through USBank. OK, then I asked if US Bank showed unpaid loans against the property. No, they didn't. OK, how do you propose we resolve this ? They said contact the originating bank, which was THEIR OWN BANK.

I honestly think they can't see the forest through the trees. It gets worse... The title insurance company that cleared the title on the alledged unpaid loan, refused to make good on the insurance. What a scam.