Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Lease offer 70D: reasonable or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, every "company" charges this when you return your lease, it's waived of course if your getting a new one from the same place to replace the one your turning in. So if you get a new Tesla when your lease is up you won't pay the disposition fee...

Jeff
interest didn't know that. My first lease.

a friend who leases Mercedes and bmws usually wil forgive mileage over as well

Here is a statement that once accepted will make you sleep a lot better: nothing about driving a Model S is reasonable. ;)

That said the main point of the lease is to lower your monthly payment. As such reducing the capital upfront (up to 25%) helps you do that even further. Where it can hurt you (other than not having that money in an interest-bearing investment) is if you need to terminate the lease early. If you do that you lose your upfront payment and USBank charges you a fee based on the remainder of the lease from an extra 2.5 lease payments down to nothing.

Everyone says you don't get the $7,500 refund, but wouldn't that money be put back into then car as a cap reduction? Or does the bank keep that as pure profit?

What many people are forgetting is, as the end of the lease, there's going to be a huge delta between the residual price and the typical used car price. So if you sell it yourself, you can make up a lot of the "loss" compared to buying without having a huge down payment (though $5,000 is HUGE for a lease) and having a lower monthly payment. I'm sure there are many who own their own business and love the low residual because we'll buy it with our personal money at the end of the lease after we wrote off the lease payments through the business.

Where it can hurt you (other than not having that money in an interest-bearing investment) is if you need to terminate the lease early. If you do that you lose your upfront payment and USBank charges you a fee based on the remainder of the lease from an extra 2.5 lease payments down to nothing.

There is no penalty for early termination. At least not official - Tesla will appraise the value of the car at the point of termination, and you pay the difference between that appraisal and the remaining balance due (assuming that the appraised value is lower than what is due on the car - which is almost 100% the case, especially if termination is more than a few month before the lease end).

Everyone says you don't get the $7,500 refund, but wouldn't that money be put back into then car as a cap reduction? Or does the bank keep that as pure profit?

The $7.5k is added to the residual in order to reduce monthly payments.

I've seen a few discussions on the lease vs buy and we were doing the calculation ourselves, so I thought I'd create a simple spreadsheet so you can do the calculation yourself. Plugin your car cost, monthly leasing amount (from tesla's website) financing costs, sales tax etc. and this will give you an idea of your gain/loss after three years. It doesn't take into account the time value of money, but it should be relatively accurate. For us given that we are planning on getting rid of the car after three years, didn't mind the lease restrictions and weren't sure of the resale value - it made financial sense to lease.

Please let me know if you see any issues - I know I could have made mistakes in here!

Tesla Lease vs Finance - Google Sheets

Thanks for putting this together.

Big error in your spreadsheet

There is an error here. You have to divide the interest by 12. Right now if you add the principal and the outlay you'll see the loan payment greatly exceeds the loan (50K + 40K = 90K and Loan is for ~72K). If you correct the calculation the Lease vs Finance is much closer

C11 formula should be:

=Financing!B4+CUMPRINC(Financing!B1/12, Financing!B3, Financing!B4, 1, C7*12, 1)

The interest needs to be divided by 12 which is missing.

If you change that Principal goes about 20K.

Thanks Omar! Corrected the spreadsheet with that info - it makes a $12,600 difference in the principal balance. Comes out to pretty much even leasing vs purchasing with that change (depending on what you assume you sell the car for). I also put in telsa's buyback price in there just for comparison (also pretty much even).

I have a LEASE right now on a Nissan leaf, AND I got the $7500 tax credit... it does not go to the bank, IT goes to the person WHO FIRST registers the car....has nothing to do with the bank... ITS a TAX CREDIT....

I have a LEASE right now on a Nissan leaf, AND I got the $7500 tax credit... it does not go to the bank, IT goes to the person WHO FIRST registers the car....has nothing to do with the bank... ITS a TAX CREDIT....

Nissan is trying to incentiveze you to get a Leaf out the door with lowered monthly payments and then keep it at the end of the lease. both Chevy and Telsa add the $7500 tax credit to the residual meaning that they keep the tax credit.

There was a time when the $7500 tax credit was not added back to the residual for Volts leased through US Bank but I don't think that is happening anymore. I leased with Ally and did not receive this benefit. But I knew I would be getting a Model S at the end of my lease.

regarding a Model S lease: I specifically asked this what happens to the$7,500 tax credit and was told specifically that Tesla adds it back to the residual, which means if you choose to buy your Model S at the end of the lease, you lose the tax credit.

When I leased my LEAF, Nissan subtracted the $7500 federal tax credit from the (already discounted) price of the car and calculated the monthly lease payment based on that. Numbers were approximately:

MSRP $31,000
Discounted price $28,000
Less federal tax credit $7,500 = $20,500

Monthly lease fee calculation was based on that.... at least, that's what they told me!

it does not go to the bank, IT goes to the person WHO FIRST registers the car....

This is not accurate.

The tax credit goes to the 1st title-holder of the car. That's why inventory Model Ss are eligible for the tax credit but CPO cars are not. (CPO cars were previously titled, but inventory cars have yet to be titled so the credit can still be claimed by the 1st purchaser.)

who appears on the registration is less relevant.

when you lease, the leasing company is the title holder and the 1st to be titled on a new vehicle so the leasing company gets the credit.

Now weather your leasing company is nice enough to pass this credit onto you is a different story. The point here being that Nissan does it but Tesla does not.

Here is my lease breakdown
My Lease 70D Breakdown

I've read a few thread on leasing and this being my first least, wanted to share my breakdown. I read on here many people say that US Bank adds the 7,500 to the total or at the end of vehicle. When looking at the lease, that doesn't seem to be 100% correct.

When financing a car, we pay a financing fee 0% - 3.9%. I assume when leasing the car, we do the same. Pay some form of financing fee %. That is on the leasing contract as a value, rather than indicating what % you are paying.

Base Car w/tax = 84,200
- downpayment = 5,000
===============
total = 79,200
- residual value = 51,284 (the value Tesla determine it cost after 3 years of ownership)
===============
total = 27,916
financing + 7,515 (this is the financing charge for leasing the car, I assume for me it's 3.7%)
===============
total = 35,431.72 (this is the total you will be paying for the lease
lease/mo = 36 months
===============
total 984.21 per month leasing before sales tax

My lease mileage is 15,000

That is what my lease breakdown is, hope that helps anyone who is curious what does the lease agreement look like.

So my my question is if you were to finance the car over 6 years, at 3 years mark, wouldn't the cost be similar? I think the only advantage for finance is lower interest rate, but need higher down payment to sustain low monthly fee. While leasing u have lower monthly fee, but higher interest rate.

Their GAP insurance coverage is a bit cryptic lol.
[\QUOTE]

With regards to financing, it is not preferable to do that for 6 years as the amount you pay in interest goes up significantly and if you want the sell the car 3 years later, the amortization schedule completely screws you as you will be paying off very little of the principal over the first 3 years. On a 6 year loan at the beginning you are pretty much paying inters and very little goes towards the principal. It is a horrible idea to finance a car for 6 years and sell after 3 years as you are going to en dup with a car with a huge amount of negative equity. Either lease for 3 years or finance for 3 years.

Here is my lease breakdown
My Lease 70D Breakdown

I've read a few thread on leasing and this being my first least, wanted to share my breakdown. I read on here many people say that US Bank adds the 7,500 to the total or at the end of vehicle. When looking at the lease, that doesn't seem to be 100% correct.

When financing a car, we pay a financing fee 0% - 3.9%. I assume when leasing the car, we do the same. Pay some form of financing fee %. That is on the leasing contract as a value, rather than indicating what % you are paying.

Base Car w/tax = 84,200
- downpayment = 5,000
===============
total = 79,200
- residual value = 51,284 (the value Tesla determine it cost after 3 years of ownership)
===============
total = 27,916
financing + 7,515 (this is the financing charge for leasing the car, I assume for me it's 3.7%)
===============
total = 35,431.72 (this is the total you will be paying for the lease
lease/mo = 36 months
===============
total 984.21 per month leasing before sales tax

My lease mileage is 15,000

That is what my lease breakdown is, hope that helps anyone who is curious what does the lease agreement look like.

So my my question is if you were to finance the car over 6 years, at 3 years mark, wouldn't the cost be similar? I think the only advantage for finance is lower interest rate, but need higher down payment to sustain low monthly fee. While leasing u have lower monthly fee, but higher interest rate.

Their GAP insurance coverage is a bit cryptic lol.
[\QUOTE]

Last edited:
Isn't that the big attraction of leases used for business ? When used for business you can write off lease payments, but need to use mileage deduction method if financed (bought).

This thread is interesting to me, and this comment more so....can you elaborate? I'm by no means an expert on US taxation, but since I have a small business, I do have something to write-off against. At one point I tried to make the argument to my CPA that my Model S (purchased/loan) was a tool of the business, since I cannot design new products without it (which is perfectly true, but she didn't accept it). My business miles perhaps account for 10% of annual mileage, so there's little tax benefit based on mileage deduction.

I've been considering selling my S85 to upgrade to some of the newer toys, but because we're in the middle of building a house, that's a tough business case, but a lease would help, especially if the payments can be written off to the business. Would leasing via the business (which is just a sole prop) overcome the need to provide evidence the car is a 'tool' of the business?

Don't worry, I won't hold anyone to this, but there's people on this thread that know what they're talking about, so would welcome any advice.

This thread is interesting to me, and this comment more so....can you elaborate? I'm by no means an expert on US taxation, but since I have a small business, I do have something to write-off against. At one point I tried to make the argument to my CPA that my Model S (purchased/loan) was a tool of the business, since I cannot design new products without it (which is perfectly true, but she didn't accept it). My business miles perhaps account for 10% of annual mileage, so there's little tax benefit based on mileage deduction.

I've been considering selling my S85 to upgrade to some of the newer toys, but because we're in the middle of building a house, that's a tough business case, but a lease would help, especially if the payments can be written off to the business. Would leasing via the business (which is just a sole prop) overcome the need to provide evidence the car is a 'tool' of the business?

Don't worry, I won't hold anyone to this, but there's people on this thread that know what they're talking about, so would welcome any advice.

Get a new accountant. I put my wife on the payroll to write off a car for her too. We do have a 3rd car as the "house hold car."
You lease as you normally would with your name, but pay with the corp account. If the auditor want's to be strict, you're suppose to have a log for mileage and where you're driving to and from. I don't know anyone who does that.

I thought the tax vehicle write off law changed a few years ago and limit by car weight? Like u can't buy a Honda Civic and write it off, has to be truck or some sort?

If you BUY a vehicle with I think 6,000 gross vehicle weight, you can write it off as a working truck. You can spread it out over a few years, or all in one year. Something like a BMW X5 just made the cut off.
A lease is totally different situation.