Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Leased Annual Maintenance Requirement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just had a question if anyone else who has leased a Tesla with Barclays bank are required to take their vehicle for annual check up with Tesla? I remember paying around £1500 for 3 year maintenance. I am asking because I just read online that since 2019 Tesla has removed that yearly check up requirement. Thanks.

Trying to get Tesla to give your car a good look-over on the grounds that a mechanic (Ooops sorry 'technician') might spot stuff Joe Driver doesn't is met with puzzled looks followed by offering a pick-list of overpriced options.
Perhaps more important is whether the money you paid within the lease will cover anything Tesla do annually at no further cost to you. If that happy situation exists then get them to check alignment (£200), brake service (£200) air filter (£cheap) every 2 years coolant dessicant (recommended in in my S anyway at not cheap 'cos they have to regas!).. survey seals and lube as necessary and push for a check of the logs for unusual activity. There's a fair bet that alignment went out during transport/delivery and never got checked since they don't PDI....

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it. Tesla just confirmed that my 3 year maintenance began from 2018 and will expire this year. I do remember Tesla telling me that I do not require maintenance for the 1st year for a new vehicle so that is why I chose 3 years instead of 4 years which is my lease period.

I there’s 2 questions here.

If the lease says ‘maintained to accordance to manufacture guidelines’ you’ve nothing to do to comply, it it specifies anything different like annual inspection then you need to do that as a minimum

What is sensible regarding serving, and how it’s paid for is another matter,

Rather than start a new I thought I'd piggy back on this one!

I'm just about to take a 3 year lease on a Model 3 LR via Vanarama. I'm doing it through a salary sacrifice scheme with my work.

Vanarama are trying to persuade me that adding on the maintenance package (£62.88 per month) is a good deal as it includes all servicing, brakes, tyres etc.

Obviously as I'm salary sacrificing then I save the 40% tax on this amount which brings it down to £37.73 per month or £1358.21 over the 3 year lease.

I'm just trying to gauge if this is a good deal or not or whether I'd be better off keeping the money and just replacing brakes, tyres and any other servicing needs as required over the 3 years.

Any advice regarding the cost of maintaining a Tesla Model 3 LR would be gratefully received!

There is no requirement for annual service for Model 3.
Every two years change the air filters (supposedly you can buy them and do it yourself but it is a right pain in the bum). Check the brake fluids and replace if needed (every two years too) and service the aircon unit every six years. Brake pads I doubt you will need to replace during these three years since you will barely be using them (under normal driving circumstances).
Regarding tyres rotate every 10-12k miles (you dont need tesla for that) and replace when needed.
Down to you to decide if 1358£ over three years is worth it :)

Having dealt with ALD and Tesla recently - the lease companies slap the same Service and maintenance charges on there they do with ICE, despite not having the same requirements. Only when pressed do they reassess. It's almost as if they like getting free money...

I wouldn't pay that, for the reasons excellently detailed above

Reactions: shrimpergarry
Am currently contemplating if I should book our Model X in for its first ever service.......Its currently 3.5 years old and has done 40k. I kinda of feel bad its NEVER been 'serviced', but at the same time I have no idea why it needs a 'service' apart from maybe a brake fluid change + air con regas?

Am currently contemplating if I should book our Model X in for its first ever service.......Its currently 3.5 years old and has done 40k. I kinda of feel bad its NEVER been 'serviced', but at the same time I have no idea why it needs a 'service' apart from maybe a brake fluid change + air con regas?

I think aircon unit needs servicing more often than model 3 for S and X. Regarding brake fluid you can check it yourself I believe. My plan for my 3 is to take it over to the SC for filter swap and a quick check when it hits 50k. Just for my peace of mind. I cant be bothered changing those filters myself. Looks really awkward for RHD and I am pretty sure I will end up breaking something ;)

I asked my local SC about a 1 year service/inspection, and they basically said it shouldn't need one but if I wanted to get it done I could? So I have no idea what to do really.

Does a 1 year old M3P that's done ~1200 miles need a service?

After 3 years I would definitely get the brakes serviced. Servicing in this case is not so much about the wear (or lack of it) in the pads and discs, it's about cleaning and lubricating the moving parts. The callipers and pins in particular are prone to ceasing and can suffer corrosion.

Any garage should be able to do this, it doesn't need to be Tesla as the brakes are standard Brembo components.

As you say, makes sense at the same time to have the condition of the brake fluid checked and replaced if needed. Again, not a Tesla only job.

I know it's an old thread but just wanted to update. So last month I traded in my Tesla and emailed Tesla that since due to Covid lockdown in 2020 I was not able to use the Tesla Maintenance plan which I fully paid for in advance and also sent them attached document as proof. I further informed them that I was only able to use the Plan in August 2021 and now have traded in my car, so shouldn't I be refunded for the lockdown year and this year as I was not able to use the plan which was at the time of lease recommended by their representative.

Tesla financial dept. came back with a reply saying that since I had already traded in my car and am no longer the owner, so they will not refund the money. I think this is extremely unfair as it was Tesla that clearly states that their new vehicles are not at all required any annual maintenance and this was right after I leased my car back in Sept 2018. This seems really sneaky way to keep the customer's money that was paid for a maintenance program that could not be used under country wide lock-down. What do you guys/gals think?

I know it's an old thread but just wanted to update. So last month I traded in my Tesla and emailed Tesla that since due to Covid lockdown in 2020 I was not able to use the Tesla Maintenance plan which I fully paid for in advance and also sent them attached document as proof. I further informed them that I was only able to use the Plan in August 2021 and now have traded in my car, so shouldn't I be refunded for the lockdown year and this year as I was not able to use the plan which was at the time of lease recommended by their representative.

Tesla financial dept. came back with a reply saying that since I had already traded in my car and am no longer the owner, so they will not refund the money. I think this is extremely unfair as it was Tesla that clearly states that their new vehicles are not at all required any annual maintenance and this was right after I leased my car back in Sept 2018. This seems really sneaky way to keep the customer's money that was paid for a maintenance program that could not be used under country wide lock-down. What do you guys/gals think?
It's annoying but I suspect you'd have been better claiming at the time, ie as soon as they said it wasn't required. By leaving it place, you were at liberty to take it in, but didn't.

Have they suggested it's still in force for whoever now owns the car? If so, then you effectively sold on the cover/package with the car. The missing covid year might still be available to however now owns the car, although thats no comfort to you.

Reactions: NewbieT
It's annoying but I suspect you'd have been better claiming at the time, ie as soon as they said it wasn't required. By leaving it place, you were at liberty to take it in, but didn't.

Have they suggested it's still in force for whoever now owns the car? If so, then you effectively sold on the cover/package with the car. The missing covid year might still be available to however now owns the car, although thats no comfort to you.

Thanks for the answer GeorgeSymonds and yes I did mention it last year and was told that I should be able to get the amount back for unused period but they did not mention the fact that if I trade it in for another car make then I lose the money but lesson learned I guess. 😔