TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Leather Seat Issues- Wrinkles/folds

Discussion in 'Model S' started by patnun, Aug 23, 2017.

1. patnun

patnun New Member

Hello everyone,
    I just bought a new Tesla 75 RWD and received delivery a few days back. It was a good experience expect for what I noticed with the seats. This is brand new factory delivered car with just 7 miles when I took delivery. I don't consider myself very detail oriented but I felt seat leather condition/folds/wrinkles was not acceptable considering the price we are paying and Tesla's quality standards. Of course delivery manager and others dismissed that as "normal". This is the passenger side seat , felt the driver side seat cover is also a little loose. I need some opinions on whether I am being reasonable or overthinking this.In light of the recent lawsuit and reading online about seat issues I felt Tesla has inconsistent quality of seats.

http://nypost.com/2017/08/17/millionaire-sues-tesla-over-small-seat-tear-to-spotlight-atrocious-customer-service/
    IMG_6023.JPG IMG_6022.JPG IMG_6022.JPG

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Is this a 'tan leather' or the new 'premium cream'? I doubt you got a custom build of the new material that quickly (or you ordered back when?)... So, hoping (sorry) it's the old leather that is somewhat prone to wrinkles. On what to do about it, I would think this would warrant replacement, when it comes this way from the start. Not would I would expect at all.

Welcome to TMC, BTW!

3. JasJ

JasJ Member

Your seats are actually better than the first replacement seat (image below) for wrinkles in my MS (also has loose bolsters and stitching pulling apart prior to anyone sitting in it).

20170712_173153.jpg

Ask them to fix it, it should not be delivered that way.

Seat #3 is being shipped to the local SC for my car. Hope it is wrinkle free.

I suspect the reason they moved to all synthetic is for the wrinkle problem.

4. oktane

oktane Active Member

Way better than my seats on delivery for a brand new $155,000 car. Tesla has terrible quality control. This is "normal" for a Tesla. Don't sweat this stuff, you'll never be happy with the fit and finish compared to a mass-manufactured car. It's just awful, but nothing you can do about it. Accept that Tesla has sub-standard quality and enjoy the EV drive train. Dump the car when another EV comes out and don't look back.

5. arlorose

arlorose Member

This is sad but true. I've had an insane number of quality issues with mine, seat folds (way worse than this) included. And service has been abysmal. They've either broken (or in one case crashed) it every time it's been in... and yes, that means that every time I've brought it in, it goes back for something they've done. It's now waiting on a new front bumper (they backed another car into mine), a new hood (manufacturing defect), and new dash parts (they've taken mine apart so many times the materials are bent and the clips have worn). And I bought the car in March.

Do I love this car? Absolutely!

Will I buy another? Don't know.

If BMW (where my brand loyalty was for 27 years) comes out with an EV that's not a joke will I switch? In a heartbeat. (had an i3, regretted it)

• Like x 1
  6. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

My seats have these wrinkles, but didn't consider it something to be upset about.

Still don't.

7. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

I do had wrinkles on my seats. My driver side was a lot better, but my passenger side was a mess. I had the service center order new seats for me from day one of my delivery and waited for about a good 4 months and had them installed. Now they do look a lot better. I also had wrinkles on the glove box leather too.

Attached Files:

8. jjh1234

jjh1234 Member

This makes me kind of glad I got the non-premium gen 1.5 seats. They are a mix of cloth and what I'm assuming is vinyl. They are comfortable to me and seem sturdy enough. I guess time will tell.

I can tell you the leather seats on my BMW X5 did not have any wrinkles like that, but then again, they were rather hard. Are the Tesla ones very soft?

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Looks fine to me. Many cars have "give" in their leather. It helps it to wear better. Some even add more to give it that "luxury" look. I have original seats where the leather was as tight as can be. I see creases in my fronts that may be problematic in the future.

• Funny x 1