Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Leather Seat Issues- Wrinkles/folds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine loooi worse. I took the X90D w 26k likes to Tesla today the adviser said he was going to try to get them replaced. I just picked this up last week. Guy wasn't large at all I'm kinda shocked he didn't take it in. I will keep you posted. Mine is tan leather 2016 X90D

Attachments

• F8401B27-7EDF-46DC-AD05-41C348B5CFA5.png
    F8401B27-7EDF-46DC-AD05-41C348B5CFA5.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 184
Mine loooi worse. I took the X90D w 26k likes to Tesla today the adviser said he was going to try to get them replaced. I just picked this up last week. Guy wasn't large at all I'm kinda shocked he didn't take it in. I will keep you posted. Mine is tan leather 2016 X90D

Tesla used to say the seats were Nappa leather, as I recall, which is supposedly extra soft. But whether or not it truly is/was Nappa leather, my 2015 car's leather seems very different from more recent cars (before Tesla switched to man-made products). The older leather seems thicker and tougher. After nearly three years, mine shows none of the stretching and wrinkling the newer seats seem prone to. So yes, the newer (Nappa?) seats are soft to the touch, and maybe more comfortable, but clearly more prone to stretching and wrinkling.

The dealer said there was a TSB for the seats. They ordered new frames and new insides. They no longer will replace the seats but they said the new items make the wrinkles go away. I am skeptical but we will see! I can keep you posted if you like.
They tried new frames for me - it didn't work. They did replace the driver's seat, but this was last year likely under the old policy. It is a softer leather than the new synthetic stuff, so a trade-off. I like the comfort.

Really a shame that Tesla is spending so much of their resources on seats. Making good seats is both art and science, and probably relies heavily on the sort of experience in design/manufacturing/supply chain that Tesla lacks.
If only they had developed good external sources for seats! Sometimes I think they get trapped by the "not invented here" syndrome and try to do too much themselves in-house that most car makers would buy externally from suppliers who are experienced and expert at what they do. This is probably why the seats and seat fabrics are more troublesome than on other cars, and possibly why Tesla lacks features so common elsewhere, like Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, good quality audio systems at reasonable cost, and so on.