Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Lemon Model S owner Rebuttal to Tesla's Blog Post

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can sometimes be a bull in a china shop, but if I had problems with TESLA I wouldn't want the world to know about it or hire a notorious attorney getting me on National News. Reading the blog and summary of your problems I think you have a questionable case. Furthermore, like stated above what is your end game? Do you want a TESLA or just to get rid of it? Most of us would question your motivation. But then again, you appear to have a history of complaining to car companies. Some people just have trouble following them. I am sorry for you on many levels. Maybe you should just go get a new FORD or Toyota.

I suggest the good doctor would be happier with a Chevy Cobalt.

I suggest the good doctor would be happier with a Chevy Cobalt.

Almost, check out this post

01-29-2013 #85

montgom626

Tesla does not have a choice like GM. Tesla has to update every few weeks or their cars would be in sorry shape. Version 4.2 is the latest Tesla MS release. Tesla has a long way to go and many many releases to come close to the Volt in features.

And a MS does not have front parking sensors. My Volt has them. The front sensors are not even an option on the MS.

Now, I love the MS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want one. So I am not MS bashing, just telling you the way it is.

8KW solar.array
96 square foot solar hot water array
Solar clothes dryer
Banned so often I should put it in my signature

There are two things that bother me the most. First, the door handles not presenting is a minor inconvenience. If they don't present, just unlock it with the key. It's such a minor issue yet it seems the door handles are one of his primary complaints. If I remember correctly, the video suggested he was unable to get into his car because the handles would not present.

Second, the lawyer's post focuses on the number of days out of service being over the legal limit set in Wisconsin's lemon law, but how many of these days were caused by the (possibly) self inflicted blown fuses? And how many were for complimentary updates at the customers request/leisure?

As to the lawyer's rebuttal, it is so incredibly sleazy how he suggests Tesla is making unfounded attacks concerning the tampering without directly stating anything. If it weren't true, I would expect a denial, but instead the lawyer uses evasive language.

I do agree with you that Tesla HQ should have at least responded to your letter that they got. That was a very bad move on their part.

You also put links in your article to every problem that has ever been found on the Model S. Are you saying that you have encountered all these problems? If I look into all the threads that you linked to, will I find a post in every one saying "Yes I have that problem also"? If not, why not?

I was intrigued by this point so I took a moment to manually inspect the first set of links from OP, all re doors & door handles. (Apologies if I've duplicated the work of others; I haven't yet read through the rest of this thread.)

http://teslaowner.wordpress.com/2013...d-doors-again/
No post connected with OP unless he is using a different handle.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...-handle-design
OP posts 2 of 129 posts.
OP posts, "That is what they have done with my door handles x3."
OP posts, "I have had the exact same experience. All documented by video... [with video citation supplied]"

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...le-not-working
No post connected with OP unless he is using a different handle (0 of 30).

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...-while-driving
No post connected with OP unless he is using a different handle (0 of 35).

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...-ranger-repair
OP posts 1 of 37 posts. OP posts, in its entirety, "How about a post that assumes we can stay on topic?
smile.gif
Where are the MODS?????? This stuff needs to be deleted. My post needs to be deleted.
smile.gif
"

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s...t-retract.html
OP appears to post nothing in this cited Edmunds article.

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s...matically.html
OP appears to post nothing in this cited Edmunds article.

Based on my unscientific sample, I conjecture that most (but not all) of OP's citations are intended to buttress his points but don't actually contain any statements or reports from him of his precise problems. Perhaps OP would benefit from reorganizing his original posting in this thread to clearly distinguish which citations he offers to (a) document his previous reports of problems in this or other forums versus (b) documenting his contention that others have seen problems that he believes he has also encountered.

I was also curious about the poll OP cites contending that, "In a poll, 20% of Tesla owners have had more than three visits." So I followed the link and found this TMC poll:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...-Have-You-Made

While this poll does indeed currently have a 20% rate of "owner had more than three visits", I don't think the poll has any statistical validity. The sample is limited to TMC members and, though we think much of ourselves, at this point we are likely a smallish fraction of the overall Model S and Roadster owner population. Moreover, there's a huge selection bias problem inherent in this poll and even in this community. There's no way to verify that all poll participants are in fact owners. Finally, there's no clear indication of why these visits took place. I think the safest, accurate statement about this poll would be, "20% of the purported owners who took this poll reported three or more visits to a Tesla service center, for unspecified reasons."

I, myself, have visited the Watertown, MA Tesla Service Center more than 3 times. Two of those times were for (a) original delivery and (b) repeat of delivery experience, since I was overwhelmed the first time. :) While one or two of my visits were for car servicing, they were visits I would never have bothered to make for ANY of my previous vehicles. Instead, I visited the Tesla SC because it was ***so damned easy & pleasant***. So how does one measure visits due to real pain -- such as the OP may be suffering -- versus visits that somebody like me makes for service-that-I-wouldn't-have-bothered-with-in-lesser-vehicles-from-lesser-companies?

Alan

In the video (now pulled from Utube) showing the handles and him not being able to open the doors, THEY WERE LOCKED! You are not supposed to be able to open the doors when they are locked. The entire time he was trying to open the door, the springs were attempting to retract the handles. They were NOT presented. This video was manufactured to look like the doors would not open. Owners who understand the operation of their cars can see the difference.
I wouldn't automatically assume it was "manufactured." I could go down to my car right now, with the key right next to the car, and record a video showing the exact same thing. You're correct that it's not the handles, though. In my case, Tesla thinks RF is interfering with the car's ability to recognize the key (they actually sent a team to my house to figure it out) and unlock via proximity. Supposedly I'll get a better-shielded Body Control Module whenever it's finished to help block the interference, but the SC said only a handful of cars have encountered issues, so I'd think it's probably very low priority. It's an annoying, but minor, issue. Even though it doesn't respond via proximity, I can hit the keyfob button to unlock manually if the car doesn't respond.

Long story short, I wonder if he has problems away from his house. Perhaps there's strong RF there.

In any case, it's 100% suspicious that Tesla's most damning claim went completely ignored in the rebuttal.

- what are the odds of someone getting a lemon from one company last year, followed by one this year ?

- do you consider yourself super-unlucky or super-lucky to get 2 lemons back to back

- which car would you try your luck next year? I recommend Toyota. They have the deepest pockets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, until there's a rebuttal to Tesla's position about fuse tampering I'm not gonna take any of his lemon law complaints at face value.
I've had my car in service 7 or 8 times already to fix various things (about once every other month at this rate), and yet I am still convinced that Tesla has an engineering masterpiece in the Model S.
Some people just like to sue as a hobby I guess... it's not very complementary to one's character...

Lemon laws are real laws and the OP probably qualify. And I'm sure it happens everyday all the time to all the manufacturers.

Tesla is revolutionary and is therefore a lighting rod for PR. This is where this went wrong... should just do it all in private rather than trying to go viral.

Now Tesla is complaining that it knew nothing when in fact Tesla knew back in November, by its own admission, of all the problems.
Inconsistent much? You are accusing Tesla of an impossible hypocrisy, saying that they knew nothing while saying that they knew.

Anyway, I suggest hiring a lawyer who has a modicum of professionalism, not someone who makes crappy youtube videos with cardboard cutouts. If your complaints are legitimate, then make your case in court.

Yeah, not sure it was wise to ask for an internet judgment of you and expect support. Between your lawyer's ridiculous video, Tesla's blog post, and widespread coverage of both in various auto related outlets, so far the opinion of your lawyer (and by extension, you) is very negative.

Not to defend the OP, but my car, on delivery, had a bad door handle, that would present but would not open consistently. The 3 other doors were fine. It was replaced by the service center and returned to me with the same problem. It was then replaced a 2nd time and now works fine. I do have a video if anyone is interested, as I didn't want the service center to think I was crazy.

The difference was I asked Tesla to fix it and worked the with SC and everyone was completely apologetic, recognized that it was a problem, and took care of it. No lawyers, just some emails and some person to person conversations.