Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Lending in one state & register in another

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question that I cannot find the answer to. I am scheduled to pick up my Tesla on 12/16 at the Blue Ash SC in Cincinnati. I live about 20 minutes away in Kentucky, where Tesla doesn’t offer lending (sigh). However, my parents live in Tennessee. I was wondering if I am able to change my registration to my parents address on the Tesla website, which would allow me to then fill out a loan through Tesla and then register the car in Kentucky at a later date. Has anyone done this before?
Thanks
Main reason for wanting to do this is Tesla currently offers a better rate than my credit union.
TL;DR I want to take delivery in Cincinnati, apply for the loan through TN, and register in KY.

Last edited:
I have a question that I cannot find the answer to. I am scheduled to pick up my Tesla on 12/16 at the Blue Ash SC in Cincinnati. I live about 20 minutes away in Kentucky, where Tesla doesn’t offer lending (sigh). However, my parents live in Tennessee. I was wondering if I am able to change my registration to my parents address on the Tesla website, which would allow me to then fill out a loan through Tesla and then register the car in Kentucky at a later date. Has anyone done this before?
Thanks
Main reason for wanting to do this is Tesla currently offers a better rate than my credit union.
TL;DR I want to take delivery in Cincinnati, apply for the loan through TN, and register in KY.
I had to buy my car out of state with another address because my state didn't let Tesla sell cars at the time. Be careful of sales and registration tax differences. You won't get money back, other than maybe a deduction if the sales location has higher taxes. Some places you may pay full taxes twice.

I had to buy my car out of state with another address because my state didn't let Tesla sell cars at the time. Be careful of sales and registration tax differences. You won't get money back, other than maybe a deduction if the sales location has higher taxes. Some places you may pay full taxes twice.
Thanks for the info, from what I’ve seen I won’t pay sales tax for TN but will when I register in KY, which is fine with me.