TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla lied about VROOM Match!!!!

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by Aalian, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Aalian

Aalian New Member

Hello,

I have never posted on here before but I felt compelled to do so to warn people about tesla’s business practices.

I would consider myself an early adopter of the Tesla model S as i purchased a new 2013 model s 60 kW model s with tech package, premium sound, paint trim protection, and air suspension.

I love the car, And was hoping to trade in for a model 3. The vehicle is in great condition with 31,000 miles on it And it has 2 1/2 more years on an extended warranty.

Tesla gave me a lowball offer of $32,500 where bluebook is up to $43,000. Given that the trade-ins or associated with tax savings, I was elated when teslas said that they would match Vroom’s offer. Vroom offered $40,500 And prior to placing my reservation for my all-wheel-drive model three that I was ready to buy, I called to Confirm the offer.

I received an email saying that they cannot offer the VROOM trade in match. What irks me is that I bought the car when nobody knew if the company was going to survive because they believed in them and what they were doing.

As a loyal customer And an early adopter of Tesla, I am Extremely disappointed at tesla’s business practices. It seems Tesla lies to their customers And refuses to Honor their word when the deal does not favor their interests.

I love the car and thought I would be a long time Tesla owner, but after this and how I was treated I will be looking at an Audi E-Tron hybrid vehicle.

Take a look at the emails below.

Andy

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Active Member

#2 omgwtfbyobbq, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    I've read that Teslas are the one car where Tesla won't match other offers, I think on this forum. I understand it's frustrating dealing with whatever Tesla's trade-in system is, when it's not accurate for their own cars, but AFAIK they never match other groups on Teslas, and they were up front about that when you actually spoke to someone.

I also wouldn't go to a dealership if you're looking for more transparency or honesty. I know it's a pain to handle two separate transactions, but I would stick with the 3 unless you like the E-Tron more.

Edited after reading the whole thread.

• Like x 1
  3. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

They did the very same to me with a none Tesla trade in here in the UK and essentially said tuff sell your car somewhere else.

I’d already ordered the car so couldn’t walk away without losing the 4K but honestly I still want the car even though they *sugar* on me, I’m buying the car not the customer service.

Plenty of dealers have lied to me over the years, nothing new for me.

Good luck with Audi.

• Like x 1
  4. wooter

wooter Member

So what's the issue? Sell to VROOM, get a Model 3, done.

It seems to me the sales associate made an error assuming Tesla would match. But like you can read in the answer, you're still free to sell privately.

• Like x 10
  5. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

To me it comes down to whether it's common practice at Tesla to offer to match Vroom or CarMax pricing, and then to turn around with "Oh, nope sorry".

I might test this myself as my offer from Tesla is $44K for a 2015 Model S 70D that's fairly well loaded.

The Vroom offer is $47K, but I'm not confident in that offer. The reason is they didn't have the right options for me to select. Like there was no way for me to tell them that I had the next-generation seats, the cyclone wheels, or the cold weather package. They didn't even ask for me to upload pictures.

So I don't know where they pulled the $47K offer from. I certainly wouldn't match Vroom offers if I was Tesla considering how little info Vroom gets before making the offer.

That being said $47K is obviously greater than $43K so it's worth my time to see if Tesla will match it.

My feeling is in your case a single employee made the mistake. Now sure you can blame Tesla because of bad training, etc. Or that you think they should eat the loss due to an employee that made a mistake.

I don't think its news to anyone that Tesla Sales people are making a boat load of mistakes right now, and they seriously need to get it under control.

6. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

The OP wants both Vroom's offer PLUS the sales tax deduction.

He likely lives in a state with high sales tax like mine and trading in a car lowers the amount the tax is on by the amount they give him. In my case the sales tax reduction is around $4K so it's a non-trivial amount.

• Informative x 1
  7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

What they did with me is use a CarMax offer as guidance. I’m wondering if this is being translated at some point as we will take the car for that amount and being corrected later.

I got a CarMax offer on my clean but 2009 BMW 328 for 9500 and Tesla said what they do is ‘send the car (that offer)’ out to their network of used car brokers. They had accepted that offer (someone wanted my car) in three hours. Which I heard from Tesla was quick.

I’m thinking that what they want is an ‘accepted’ appraisal from certain places like CM to send out. Other places may or may not be equivalent. And someone still has to accept the car (your precise car) for resale. Tesla does not sell used cars except Teslas.

I did get this amount as a trade in deduction off the price of my Tesla, to be clear.

That’s what I understand of the process from what I went through. YMMV and hope it’s helpful.

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Someone at Tesla gave you wrong information. As a Tesla owner since 2013 like myself, you know that Tesla is good at a lot of things, but communication isn’t one of them. It’s been a long time since Tesla matched trade-in offers. I think that ended with the Model 3. You’re going to buy an Audi instead of a Model 3 because someone at Tesla made a mistake? Who does that hurt, you or Tesla? Just sell your car to Vroom. Or better yet, get an offer from Carvana first. That’s what I did and Carvana beat their offer by several thousand dollars.

Maybe my advice will make you more money that what you would have saved in sales tax!

By the way, saving money on sales tax by trading in is a legalized scam designed to make money for the franchised auto dealers. It allows them to get used cars at below market value— they can offer less than a used car dealer and you’ll take the lower offer because of the tax savings. It serves no public policy purpose to allow someone to only pay sales tax on the difference if they trade in, but not if they sell to a used car dealer or privately. Just one more thing the auto dealer cartel gets from owning many of the state legislatures.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  9. Darren Donovan

Didn't Tesla make a big deal about them not being like the "evil stealerships" ?

10. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

It looks like Tesla offered to match the Vroom offer on August 10th and then denied it on August 14th... Escalate to a Mgr :cool:

[​IMG]

• Disagree x 1
  11. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

We’ve seen the emails the OP posted. No reason to cut and paste them as if you’ve discovered something new. An employee made a mistake. He gave incorrect information. Don’t expect a manager to do what’s against Tesla policy because of that. Tesla doesn’t match trade in offers when buying a Model 3. Never has. The OP should sell the car he planned to trade, as we all have, and move on.

• Like x 1
  12. Buggle

Buggle Member

I don't think this is a huge deal. Tesla's primary focus is not on flipping used cars. Their offers are well known to be horrible. Just accept it and move on. They offered me $700 for mine, I sold it privately for $3k. I smirked at their offer, no more no less.

13. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Incorrect... Tesla has matched trade-in offers from Carmax and Zoom for at least 5 years... search the forums if you are still confused. :cool:
    In fact, the OA offered to match the offer in writing on August 10th... the OP should ask a manager if and when the policy was changed.

14. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

But they don't match offers on Teslas. So the OA just wasn't thinking when he copy/pasted a standard reply that applies to non-Tesla cars.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

Well, that's between that employee and the company. Good service is not passing that buck onto the customer.

• Disagree x 3
  16. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

Wish we had a sales tax system like that in CA!

We're just under 10% here in LA County, and there's no offset or netting out for trade-ins. One of the factors that pushes a lot of folks here into leasing, which taxes only the portion of the car's value which you consume.

• Informative x 2
  17. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Based on feedback in the forum when I bought my Model 3 I never even considered a trade in. Instead used several of the leading used car companies like Carmax, and VROOM and avoided having to deal with Tesla. Simple and very easy.
    Believe it or not Toyota gave me the best offer on my Prius V. Low mileage and in great condition. Did the same for financing, found out the best offer from a local Credit union knowing Tesla wouldn't be able to match it.

As others have pointed out communication is not a strength of Tesla's and unfortunately the employee provided incorrect information.