Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla LIED to us! (I maxed out a dyno in my car)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wish they had shown the results screen, or at least better described what numbers they saw...
Wish i could have seen the screen as well,
here's the description- Also- sorry for repost missed the other one

2013 Black Tesla Model S P85
21" Wheels - Continental Extreme Contact DW Rubber

Dyno maxed out at 2000 lbs·ft but on paper the car should be putting 4301 lbs·ft of torque to the wheels.

416HP Official Rated at the crank
436HP Measured at the wheels

Environment: 80% Charge on the battery, 26ºC outside temp, 24% Humidity, 1157 meters (Altitude, but this doesnt really affect EVs to my knowledge)

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere in the thread, but did the dyno owner disable the corrections? A typical dyno run attempts to correct for atmospheric affects, among other variables. Most or all of which don't apply to an EV, and would skew the numbers.

Wish i could have seen the screen as well,
here's the description- Also- sorry for repost missed the other one

2013 Black Tesla Model S P85
21" Wheels - Continental Extreme Contact DW Rubber

Dyno maxed out at 2000 lbs·ft but on paper the car should be putting 4301 lbs·ft of torque to the wheels.

416HP Official Rated at the crank
436HP Measured at the wheels

Environment: 80% Charge on the battery, 26ºC outside temp, 24% Humidity, 1157 meters (Altitude, but this doesnt really affect EVs to my knowledge)

It wasn't even a 100% charge? I can notice a difference between 80% and 100%

GUYS GUYS GUYS!! when comparing the Tesla with other cars, it DOESNT make 4000ft-lbs of torque compared to the viper, Camaro, etc, 400ft-lbs of torque.......
That dyno is a little misleading..... yes, the RPM is the rear tires.................. but more importantly, the torque is at the rear tires too!!!!! that Viper that posted a dyno would have near 4000ft-lbs as well at the rear tires.. BUT, its using the spark to determine engine RPM and rate of change of KE to determin HP and then calculates engine hp. NOT , road touching Torque.

Go back and do the math ................... The tesla makes 430rwhp, the torque will be LOT less than 4000ft-lbs.. remember, there is a 9.7:1 gear box in the Tesla too.

the reason for the confusion is simple.... the dyno had to use wheel MPH and vs it to HP on the Y axis. they took the MPH and made it RPM, but of the rear wheels, then the torque value becomes at the rear wheels and the RPM is correct, no need to multiply by 9.7. but, if you want to equate the rear wheel torque to motor torque,(as measured at the rear wheels), you divide the torque by 9.7. :)

make sense???????

- - - Updated - - -

your right, it doesn't ..... divide the 4k torque by the gear ratio, of 9.7 and you get your torque number. :)

- - - Updated - - -

this chart needs to be updated..... the tesla has the same torque as the other cars.... this figure was the rear wheel torque as measured at the rear tires, not the motor torque. divide that number by the gear ratio of 9.7 the number is more like 440ft-lbs

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23100&d=1370283832

sorry folks , the tesla has the same peak torque as any other car you would drive on the street... the difference is where that torque is. its 440ft-lbs and it starts at 0mph,,,, and then when you get going 130mph, plan on only having 90ft-lbs to accelerate. :(

it is cool that there is no gears and the sweet spot of HP (where it is max) is 40mph to 80mph, so if you are racing anyone in this range, you will be equal here, and at a disadvangage anywhere else.

a geared car with close ratio gear boxes can keep the RPM in the sweet spot off the line and up to max speed, with only a momentary loss for the shift time.

Actually, this is what I found on the official Chevrolet site for the Spark EV:

Electric Motor and Drive Unit

Type:electric, two-wheel, front-drive, coaxial
Motor:permanent magnetic drive motor
Power:105 kW / 140 horsepower
Torque: (lb-ft / Nm):327 / 444
Final drive ratio :)1):3.87
I'm not an engineer or mathematician. Still trying to figure out how they're arriving at 400 lb-ft. They're claiming a legit 327 lb-ft of output directly from the motor, which is still pretty mind-blowing for as small as the car is.

Yup. That's correct for a 2015 Spark EV. The 402 ft-lbs is for the 2014, which also has a lower gear ratio to match so the axle torque is the same.

We're not 100% sure why they made this change - best guess is to drive cost down somehow and maybe give commonality with the still not fully announced 2016 Volt. Since they're putting the money into retooling, I'm expecting them to announce the Spark nationwide shortly, too. But it's just a guess. (Why spend all the investment money for no visible performance gain if it is going to stay a compliance car?)
Walter

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23100&d=1370283832

sorry folks , the tesla has the same peak torque as any other car you would drive on the street... the difference is where that torque is. its 440ft-lbs and it starts at 0mph,,,, and then when you get going 130mph, plan on only having 90ft-lbs to accelerate. :(

it is cool that there is no gears and the sweet spot of HP (where it is max) is 40mph to 80mph, so if you are racing anyone in this range, you will be equal here, and at a disadvangage anywhere else.

a geared car with close ratio gear boxes can keep the RPM in the sweet spot off the line and up to max speed, with only a momentary loss for the shift time.

Well. I agree with the statement that the motor torque is what it is. But the difference is that when going 130 mph (as your example) the Tesla still have a 1:9.7 gear while most other cars at that speed have a gear that's 1:0.x. So while the motor torque at that speed is much lower, due to the gearing the actual wheel-torque will be much higher than most other cars.
It is the force at the point where the wheels touch the ground that matters, to figure out that number (which is really what you want to compare) you need to at least take into account the motor torque at a given speed, motor axis diameter, gear ratio (incl differential if any) at a given speed, wheel axis diameter and wheel diameter (and probably some more things).
Having a fixed 1:9.7 gear is a huge advantage for the resulting force.