Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Light Show: Custom Show Creation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey TMC,

We're the Tesla Body Controls Firmware Team; we’re the folks that make electronic features on Teslas open, close, move, light up, etc!

We created the Tesla Light Show feature for Software V11.0.
Blog, Instagram

For Light Show, we've also created a way for *anyone* to create their own Light Shows, no Tesla vehicle required. Shows are created using xLights, free open-source software.
See this Tweet

We're so excited to see what you come up with!

Check out our documentation:
GitHub - teslamotors/light-show: Tesla Light Show

And if this type of work interests you, we're hiring.
Software Validation Engineer, Body Controls
System Integration Engineer, Body Controls
System Validation Engineer, Body Controls
Embedded Software Engineer, Body Controls

We'll monitor this post for any feedback.

Happy Holidays!
Tesla Body Controls Firmware

Hey TMC,

We're the Tesla Body Controls Firmware Team; we’re the folks that make electronic features on Teslas open, close, move, light up, etc!

Blog, Instagram

For Light Show, we've also created a way for *anyone* to create their own Light Shows, no Tesla vehicle required. Shows are created using xLights, free open-source software.
See this Tweet

Happy Holidays!
Welcome...it's great that you are here. I hope that this thread stays on topic and that you are not deluged with questions or comments that don't fall in your lane.

First off, props for enabling the custom light show!

Second, do you also connect with the UX team?

If so and you can pass it on, you will get a lot of end user feedback on the changes.

Here’s some to start

1. Why is profiles hidden under car icon now? it’s slower to change seat position this way especially with the users going in and if the taller driver is forced into the shorter drivers profile automatically

2. Why is dashcam recording also under car icon? vs easier to hit in top right corner in previous layout (and no sometimes we don’t want to honk to save)…sentry quick icon is useless to have on launcher since you have to be parked to use it and that could actually be hidden into another menu.

3. Why can’t seat heaters be on the bottom next to the temp icons on both sides?…auto is nice but sometimes want to change the heat setting without diving into the HVAC menu (and swiping up to get to it is an extra step not needed)

4. Why is wipers menu hidden? The auto function is not the best so having it on launcher area let’s driver adjust quickly to speeds and off/auto.

5. Why is tire pressure hidden in another menu when swipe cards were so much easier?

6. Why is trip/efficiency hidden as well?

Rest of the UX is good but that’s my opinion as is the above comments

Hey TMC,

Blog, Instagram

See this Tweet

Happy Holidays!
This is fantastic that you guys integrated support for xLight sequences. What would really be awesome is if we could stream realtime sequence data to the car somehow so that we could use FPP (Falcon Player) so that the Tesla could be sequenced with the rest of the house for full shows. Not sure if its technically possible with what you have going on but there are a lot of us Tesla owners also involved in the sequenced light show world.

Reactions: Big Earl
Hey TMC,

Blog, Instagram

See this Tweet

Happy Holidays!
Thank you and happy holidays! The light show made our Christmas Eve even more special. Joy and laughter are underrated ha ha!

My one UI wish would be to have shortcut-from-the-car-icon be real. Even better if that shortcut menu was customizable with different items from controls (like trips, profiles, service, etc). That would be awesome.

We really appreciate your hard work and your inclusion of fun and joyful programs in these releases. We smile every time we drive! I’ll forward your job postings to friends who are qualified. Happy holidays and happy new year!

Reactions: K5TRX
Haven’t had a chance to download the files from github yet, but are we able to control what LED the headlights display, in place of Tesla?

Also right before the show starts, there is a loud thump/thud from the subwoofer, and when the trunk is set to open, it unlatches, but doesn’t seem to have enough force to fully lift open so it closes right away. If I give it a little push at that specific time in the show when its set to open, its able to do it and works fine after that. The trunk opens normally using all other methods.

Reactions: K5TRX
The light show put a smile on everyone’s faces last night. Enabling owners to program their own show is even more fantastic; I’ll never likely do it, but I look forward to experiencing some of the hundreds of custom shows that your team has enabled. Thank you.

Reactions: K5TRX and Nolakai
Hey TMC,

Blog, Instagram
Super cool. The neighbor's kids love it!

P.S. Long standing bug that may fall in your domain: If a sentry alert is triggered, auto-high beams are turned off when you return to the car. Happens every time. Simple flick of the stalk turns them back on. I can provide more detail, if needed.

• Informative
Reactions: n.one.one
Thanks @scoobybri and @n.one.one !

@EVer, yes - we work with the UI team. Will pass on your feedback.
Thank you. While adding some new features, it’s not absolutely necessary to take away some essential ones.

My friends are apoplectic at this change, most of them newcomers to Tesla based on my recommendation.

It behooves Tesla to listen to this critical feedback.

Hey TMC,

Blog, Instagram

See this Tweet

Happy Holidays!
Thank you! I just loaded the custom Light Show that @CarForce247 shared on Twitter. You folks are nuts, brilliant, and awesome for opening this up.

Here's that custom Light Show: New video by Steve

Hey TMC,

Blog, Instagram

See this Tweet

Happy Holidays!
Well I downloaded Xlights for Linux, picked a song (radioactive by imagine dragons), did a really simple "test" show, and it worked perfectly! Not to difficult with your instructions on github but it seams a proper sequence will take a good bit of time. I have some songs picked to make a proper show - It'll be lot's of fun! Much thanks and Merry Christmas to you and all of the Tesla team!