Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Light Show: Custom Show Creation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha ha! I am sure therapy is all that’s needed to make the wipers stop going crazy on us, right?

I’m sure therapy is all that’s needed to defog the windshield quickly without taking our eyes off the road on a winding mountain road?

Therapy is all that’s needed to make a 2 or 3 step process seem simpler than a one step process?

You must have a hell of an expensive shrink! 🤣
I'm not saying the issues aren't there...I am saying it is ridiculous to get 'apoplectic' about them! And really, how many of us are bombing down winding mountain roads...in the fog...and cant take our eyes of the road for a second? Likely not a scenario to worry the masses! Also, while I understand some people are unhappy with their wipers, I am not one of them. My wipers worked perfectly in a 5 hour drive from TX to FL last week, in a heavy storm. Absolutely perfect. Rain stopped, wipers stopped, light rain came, wipers on slow, heavy rain, wipers on fast etc etc. perfect. Yes, there are some things I would like improved and processes made easier but I am not going to get 'apoplectic' because a UI was changed around.
1640620924377.png

Last edited:
I'm not saying the issues aren't there...I am saying it is ridiculous to get 'apoplectic' about them! And really, how many of us are bombing down winding mountain roads...in the fog...and cant take our eyes of the road for a second? Likely not a scenario to worry the masses! Also, while I understand some people are unhappy with their wipers, I am not one of them. My wipers worked perfectly in a 5 hour drive from TX to FL last week, in a heavy storm. Absolutely perfect. Rain stopped, wipers stopped, light rain came, wipers on slow, heavy rain, wipers on fast etc etc. perfect. Yes, there are some things I would like improved and processes made easier but I am not going to get 'apoplectic' because a UI was changed around. View attachment 748876
We aren’t ‘bombing around through the mountains’. We go there to ski, hike, and other outdoor fun activities. Things you probably rarely take part in, from your comment. 😀

Looks like you think your sample of one is applicable to the large number of customers Tesla has. Amazing.
Do you even know why Tesla wipers are as bad as the way they are on the 3, but are fine on the S? No, you don’t know that.

Its clear from your response here that you lack the experience of owning Teslas, and lack of a clear understanding what constitutes unsafe changes to the interface with the car as you minimized the whole thing to ‘changes in the UI’ (as if we are talking about a smart phone).

Carry on sir. Good bye.

We aren’t ‘bombing around through the mountains’. We go there to ski, hike, and other outdoor fun activities. Things you probably rarely take part in, from your comment. 😀

Looks like you think your sample of one is applicable to the large number of customers Tesla has. Amazing.
Do you even know why Tesla wipers are as bad as the way they are on the 3, but are fine on the S? No, you don’t know that.

Its clear from your response here that you lack the experience of owning Teslas, and lack of a clear understanding what constitutes unsafe changes to the interface with the car as you minimized the whole thing to ‘changes in the UI’ (as if we are talking about a smart phone).

Carry on sir. Good bye.
So you can ski and hike but you cant hit a button on a screen without losing it! That's funny. And if you think about it, the VAST majority of users are satisfied with their vehicles...you are the outliers here. Looking at your posts it seems clear that you are only here to complain about Tesla...hopefully you will enjoy your MB although I am sure you will soon find out about the MB issues! Carry on yourself but be careful using your wipers on that lethal mountain pass shrouded in fog! LOL, Oh, re the wipers...yes there are some issues to some users but not all. In my group of friends we have 5 Model 3's...not one has the wipers issue that you harp on about. Not one. I guess that is the lucky 5 out of the 500,000 right? LOL. Go moan elsewhere! God Bless the Ignore button!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruffles
I've created a couple of sequences to be run on two Teslas at the same time. Is there a way to synchronize them?
This I’d love to see. Do they play the same song? If so, if you close the doors close enough to simultaneously and only play sound out of one car the lights should be close enough to get the effect without the two tracks sounding out of sync. Otherwise I don’t imagine there’s any technical way to synchronize them.

Then again, maybe in software V12 they’ll give us that instead of birds eye view? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Does anybody know how I can view the number of commands that I've used in the xLights build? I'm using a one minute song, however there is a disco happening with all of the light commands. I want to see if I'm coming in less than 681.

Last edited:
This I’d love to see. Do they play the same song? If so, if you close the doors close enough to simultaneously and only play sound out of one car the lights should be close enough to get the effect without the two tracks sounding out of sync. Otherwise I don’t imagine there’s any technical way to synchronize them.

Then again, maybe in software V12 they’ll give us that instead of birds eye view? 🤷🏼‍♂️
It is a duet but closing the door at right time is hit or miss.

Tesla could use the loud start sound to sync it. Tesla was able to sync the promotional video.

Reactions: Canyonero
Well I downloaded Xlights for Linux, picked a song (radioactive by imagine dragons), did a really simple "test" show, and it worked perfectly! Not to difficult with your instructions on github but it seams a proper sequence will take a good bit of time. I have some songs picked to make a proper show - It'll be lot's of fun! Much thanks and Merry Christmas to you and all of the Tesla team!
Hi, I am using linux too. I find no model S in "Layout". Maybe it depends on where the "tesla_xlights_show_folder" and the App are located? Any help? Thank you and best whishes.

stumbled upon... Lightshow Library Please send your "happy new year-version" (without opening any doors/windows because of fireworks-risks)
Can you download and install more than one LightShow on your Flash Drive and select which LightShow you want to play in Toybox or is it a one LightShow at time on the Flash Drive. Instructions make it sound like it can only address one LightShow.

"You can start the show in the Toybox by selecting "Light Show" then "Start The Show"

Can you download and install more than one LightShow on your Flash Drive and select which LightShow you want to play in Toybox or is it a one LightShow at time on the Flash Drive. Instructions make it sound like it can only address one LightShow.

"You can start the show in the Toybox by selecting "Light Show" then "Start The Show"
I think, there will be some evolution awaiting and probably later there will be options to choose from multiple Lightshows if USB holds more folders containing / starting with LS or something like that. Isn't it @TeslaBC ? [Edit] I would suggest a folder, starting with LS_ and the rest of the name will be displayed as Lightshow-Title, maybe the folder can hold an icon or picture too. So "LS_Happy New Year" would contain Abba's song, a perfect light show and a fireworks icon to be displayed in the lightshow-list...

Last edited:
Hi, I am using linux too. I find no model S in "Layout". Maybe it depends on where the "tesla_xlights_show_folder" and the App are located? Any help? Thank you and best whishes.
Everything follows Tesla's Github instructions except as shown below. I did try it on a Windows computer to see the differences. The windows setup matches the Tesla Github instructions.

First make sure you select the correct show directory. You should change permanently:
setup_dir.png

second make sure to right click when in Sequencer tab and select 3D:
setup_3D.png

Once you load (or create) a seqence and you drag for a selection to play on the timebar, the lights on 3D model S light up based on active "on" commands. NOTE This is a show I'm working on so the example sequence will not look the same.
playing.png

I don't know what to do with validator.py . I've learned a ton so far working on this, and I have a ton to learn still. I downloaded python, but I'm not sure how validator.py and python interact. How do you do that validator in python?

Thank you for your help,
STEVE
Per Tesla's Github instructions (below). You'll need to open a command prompt to do so. If you are using Linux and still have trouble I can help. If you are using Windows or MAC I can't really help, sorry!

For usage, run:
python3 validator.py lightshow.fseq

Expected output looks like:

> python3 validator.py lightshow.fseq
Found 2247 frames, step time of 20 ms for a total duration of 0:00:44.940000.
Used 16.45% of the available memory

This is my output under Linux and my simple demo script:
[username@ins11 Radioactive]$ python3 validator.py lightshow.fseq
Found 9340 frames, step time of 20 ms for a total duration of 0:03:06.800000.
Used 0.88% of the available memory

I've created a show, formatted a USB drive, setup the folder structure as required and added the 2 files under the LightShow folder. Renamed them as shown in the instructions and the darn thing isn't read by the car. Is it possible the USB drive isn't seen by the car? I recall certain drives being an issue when using for dash cam and sentry recording. I haven't run the python checker as I have no idea how to run python on PC. I have counted the switches and they are below the limit as is the Mp3 file below the time limit. I'm lost at this point. Any ideas?

Newby question. I've got things setup so far and have the Tesla sample with the Model S in xLights. Since I have a 2020 Model Y, do I need to swap the car out so I have the correct set of possible lights?
No... The 3D model is a model S but the setup is for all Tesla's. You'll need to read the instructions on what lights apply. For instance only model S has certain door handles and only model X has falcon wing doors. The chart on Github spells this out perfectly. The bigestest think to look at is model 3/Y front lights...

Reactions: Ruffles