Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Light Show: Custom Show Creation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm lost at this point. Any ideas?
My first thought is to make sure there is no other content, or at least not the Senty folder per the instructions on Github. Also the folder name and files names are case sensitive so verify they match. Also make sure its formatted as FAT (FAT32???) And not NTFS.

My second thought is did you wait long enough? It may take 60-120 seconds after inserting the drive for it to register.

My third thought would be to reformat the drive, remove your senty thumbdrive, and see if it works for setry mode with the in car format feature. When it does (presumably), delete the sentry folder and add "LightShow" folder.

My first thought is to make sure there is no other content, or at least not the Senty folder per the instructions on Github. Also the folder name and files names are case sensitive so verify they match. Also make sure its formatted as FAT (FAT32???) And not NTFS.

My second thought is did you wait long enough? It may take 60-120 seconds after inserting the drive for it to register.

My third thought would be to reformat the drive, remove your senty thumbdrive, and see if it works for setry mode with the in car format feature. When it does (presumably), delete the sentry folder and add "LightShow" folder.
So it is a completely empty drive, formatted as FAT 32. Only folder on the drive is named LightShow and the two files in that folder are named lightshow.fseq ( the show created in xlights) and lightshow.mp3 (my mp3 file) so I think i have the structure right.

I may not have waited up to 2 minutes so will try again waiting a longer time period.

I did remove the Sentry drive and tried just the lightshow USB drive but again, maybe Im not waiting long enough.

Thanks for the input, will try again and see what happens.

So it is a completely empty drive, formatted as FAT 32. Only folder on the drive is named LightShow and the two files in that folder are named lightshow.fseq ( the show created in xlights) and lightshow.mp3 (my mp3 file) so I think i have the structure right.

I may not have waited up to 2 minutes so will try again waiting a longer time period.

I did remove the Sentry drive and tried just the lightshow USB drive but again, maybe Im not waiting long enough.

Thanks for the input, will try again and see what happens.
Another two thoughts... Firstly did you change the timescale to I believe 20ms per Github Instructions? And secondly you could always try the example light show... That would prove the files and drive are correct... They seam to be per your response so maybe the XLights setup...

I think, there will be some evolution awaiting and probably later there will be options to choose from multiple Lightshows if USB holds more folders containing / starting with LS or something like that. Isn't it @TeslaBC ? [Edit] I would suggest a folder, starting with LS_ and the rest of the name will be displayed as Lightshow-Title, maybe the folder can hold an icon or picture too. So "LS_Happy New Year" would contain Abba's song, a perfect light show and a fireworks icon to be displayed in the lightshow-list...
So does this look right? I left one as default LightShow in case it is the only one that will work.

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 5.49.33 PM.png

Last edited:
Yes.. The other poster @SpeedyEddy was making that suggestion to Tesla. It's not implemented yet.

Also those two light shows where very good!
Hope Tesla makes the change. Guess at best that would be in 2022.4.x.x. Being on FSD Beta we are usually behind on added features so it would likely be a few weeks later before I would get. But it would be great to have a selection to chose from in the car.

Hey TMC,

We're the Tesla Body Controls Firmware Team; we’re the folks that make electronic features on Teslas open, close, move, light up, etc!

We created the Tesla Light Show feature for Software V11.0.
Blog, Instagram

For Light Show, we've also created a way for *anyone* to create their own Light Shows, no Tesla vehicle required. Shows are created using xLights, free open-source software.
See this Tweet

We're so excited to see what you come up with!

Check out our documentation:
GitHub - teslamotors/light-show: Tesla Light Show

And if this type of work interests you, we're hiring.
Software Validation Engineer, Body Controls
System Integration Engineer, Body Controls
System Validation Engineer, Body Controls
Embedded Software Engineer, Body Controls

We'll monitor this post for any feedback.

Happy Holidays!
Tesla Body Controls Firmware
Im a new Y owner and sm having trouble getting the update to download. Message says I have connect to wifi, but I AM connected to wifi. Any advice?

• Funny
Reactions: SpeedyEddy
So I should have had my glasses on when I read the time limit instructions. I read it as 6 minutes and not 5. The test file I was using is 5:10. :oops:

Back to redoing what I had already done.
Didn't think of that issue! In any case just trim the last 10 seconds off and hopefully the xLights sequence will be the same with minimal changes. Good luck.

So I should have had my glasses on when I read the time limit instructions. I read it as 6 minutes and not 5. The test file I was using is 5:10. :oops:

Back to redoing what I had already done.
You can trim the audio sequence in xlights itself. Don't have to redo anything.
Change the duration using File -> Sequence Settings -> Sequence Duration (300 for 5 minutes)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Wnuk and okcazure
I will try that, thank you. I tried scrubbing on the timeline without success so thought I’d just start over. Only did the first 30 seconds so I wanted to test and see if I had things setup right.

Hey TMC,

We're the Tesla Body Controls Firmware Team; we’re the folks that make electronic features on Teslas open, close, move, light up, etc!

We created the Tesla Light Show feature for Software V11.0.
Blog, Instagram

For Light Show, we've also created a way for *anyone* to create their own Light Shows, no Tesla vehicle required. Shows are created using xLights, free open-source software.
See this Tweet

We're so excited to see what you come up with!

Check out our documentation:
GitHub - teslamotors/light-show: Tesla Light Show

And if this type of work interests you, we're hiring.
Software Validation Engineer, Body Controls
System Integration Engineer, Body Controls
System Validation Engineer, Body Controls
Embedded Software Engineer, Body Controls

We'll monitor this post for any feedback.

Happy Holidays!
Tesla Body Controls Firmware

I want to be able to make the car speak remotely and wink the lights remotely. Thanks.

also — it would probably be pretty easy to create an automated light show that responds to any input music. I used to see screensavers do this 20 years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: SpeedyEddy
Or buy a pile of cheap thumb drives :). For instance $2.99 each Micro Center 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Micro Center
That is not the problem. I have an SSD for DashCam and an after market Qi which I will unplug. USB slots are hard to reach so probably will add a hub. Still the BIGGEST problem is Murphy's law that you have a 90% chance of having the plug "upside down" and even then it takes about 3 more tries before a USB will go in.:mad::mad: Why has the transition to USB-C been SOOOOOOOO SLOW and spotty?🤔

Reactions: Wildcat84
Anyone offer a download library of pre-made shows?
Literally the post directly above yours. 😜