Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Light Show: Custom Show Creation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a bit confused about the difference between a .xsq file and a .fseq file. Some of the projects Tesla users have worked on and are available for download include a .xsq file and no .fseq file. Do you have to convert the .xsq file or something like that?

I'm a bit confused about the difference between a .xsq file and a .fseq file. Some of the projects Tesla users have worked on and are available for download include a .xsq file and no .fseq file. Do you have to convert the .xsq file or something like that?
The program XLights works with the .xsq file. That file can be edited. The .fseq file is the output file. That file cannot be edited.

I kinda feel that creating a custom light show with Xlights could be hard to do, especially for people without a lot of software experience. I found 1 github repo and like what? Two youtube videos on this topic. I know it's a big ask, but I wish Xlights had a better UI and there was some proper YT tutorial out there other than that repo. Who's with me?

Reactions: Ruffles
I kinda feel that creating a custom light show with Xlights could be hard to do, especially for people without a lot of software experience. I found 1 github repo and like what? Two youtube videos on this topic. I know it's a big ask, but I wish Xlights had a better UI and there was some proper YT tutorial out there other than that repo. Who's with me?

There's literally years worth of content in how to use xLights out there. It doesn't have to be Tesla specific

Free software and documentation, probably developed in the developers' free time, to implement a cool feature on your car that wasn't even there when you brought it, and you're asking for more?

Free software and documentation, probably developed in the developers' free time, to implement a cool feature on your car that wasn't even there when you brought it, and you're asking for more?
xLights is literally -the- software for developing incredible synchronized christmas light shows, the fact that Tesla made templates for it and support playing the files in the car is awesome. It is one of the most documented open source tools on the internet with months worth of youtube videos on how to work it. Not sure what else one could want.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
xLights is literally -the- software for developing incredible synchronized christmas light shows, the fact that Tesla made templates for it and support playing the files in the car is awesome. It is one of the most documented open source tools on the internet with months worth of youtube videos on how to work it. Not sure what else one could want.
Now don't get me wrong- I'm not saying xLights is bad. What I am saying though is that xLights, much like anything else in this world has room to improve. With that said, I'm also not the type of person that criticizes things just for the fun of it. So here are my ideas:
We could try and automate this manual drag and drop process, perhaps with something called beat tracking which essentially detects the beats in a certain mp3 file by finding the points where there is a spike:
1659587588579.png

Using the start point of these "spikes" the program can make the lights flash at the start of and during a beat.

So yes. Although we should be thankful for what we've got SK360 and all the others who have taken the time to reply, when we can improve on certain aspects, I believe we should.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Now don't get me wrong- I'm not saying xLights is bad. What I am saying though is that xLights, much like anything else in this world has room to improve. With that said, I'm also not the type of person that criticizes things just for the fun of it. So here are my ideas:
We could try and automate this manual drag and drop process, perhaps with something called beat tracking which essentially detects the beats in a certain mp3 file by finding the points where there is a spike:
View attachment 836465
Using the start point of these "spikes" the program can make the lights flash at the start of and during a beat.

So yes. Although we should be thankful for what we've got SK360 and all the others who have taken the time to reply, when we can improve on certain aspects, I believe we should.
Already done and heavily documented with Queen Mary Vamp Plugins....

Last edited:
Hey TMC,

We're the Tesla Body Controls Firmware Team; we’re the folks that make electronic features on Teslas open, close, move, light up, etc!

We created the Tesla Light Show feature for Software V11.0.
Blog, Instagram

For Light Show, we've also created a way for *anyone* to create their own Light Shows, no Tesla vehicle required. Shows are created using xLights, free open-source software.
See this Tweet

We're so excited to see what you come up with!

Check out our documentation:
GitHub - teslamotors/light-show: Tesla Light Show

And if this type of work interests you, we're hiring.
Software Validation Engineer, Body Controls
System Integration Engineer, Body Controls
System Validation Engineer, Body Controls
Embedded Software Engineer, Body Controls

We'll monitor this post for any feedback.

Happy Holidays!
Tesla Body Controls Firmware
I was so excited to see this but then my MX 2020 LRP is not supported. Any chance to request this to be support?