Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla LightShow: How difficult is it to hack/malware a Tesla once physical access to USB is gained?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many thanks to TeslaBC and all the Tesla LightShow contributors for the fun new feature of customizing light shows.

Maybe it was all the JWBs I drank on New Years Eve but I woke up in a cold sweat dreaming of my autopilot (TACC) failing on my M3P and crashing me into a tree, by disabling my controls. Then I got to thinking, theoretically, wouldn't it be a maliciously great hack for a bad actor to release a fun new feature for Tesla's (I.e. LightShow customization) that owners eagerly installed on their own USBs, bypassing all the Tesla server firewalls, that flashed the lights and played music but also secretly loaded time sensitive malware/virus code into our cars. Then when the AI overlords demand it, the malware would trigger and suddenly 1000's of Tesla would do surprising things we don't expect or want.

Sorry for my paranoia but is there any protection from Tesla if physical access is granted to our cars? Should we build community oversight for all new private software so we don't find ourselves with dangerous or bricked, cars?