Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, Linux and the GPL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a pretty sad statement. You realize that most every embedded device these days runs Linux. You had an MRI lately? That's a Linux box. You have a wifi router at home? >50% Linux. You have a smartphone? 70% Linux. Your TiVo? Linux. Basically every single car maker has their next gen IVI system running Linux. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Jaguar, Land Rover, Porsche... all running Linux. QNX and VxWorks are both shrinking fast in market share.

Thankfully ATM's still use Windows Embedded XP

:p

The story that 95% of them run Windows XP has been often quoted but to the best of my knowledge it is inaccurate. Diebold has upgraded most of theirs to Win 7 embedded. NCR actually switched the majority of theirs to Linux :)
But yes, I'm sure there are still quite a few out there...

Moderators, I hate to cause you pain... but I feel like we have somehow managed to completely derail wk057's thread with all this talk about Linux and GPL and what not.
Maybe it's time to move all this into its own thread?

And once again and heart-felt THANK YOU to our amazing moderators for the swift response to my request for help... voila, our own thread...

Last edited:
The story that 95% of them run Windows XP has been often quoted but to the best of my knowledge it is inaccurate. Diebold has upgraded most of theirs to Win 7 embedded. NCR actually switched the majority of theirs to Linux :)
But yes, I'm sure there are still quite a few out there...

Moderators, I hate to cause you pain... but I feel like we have somehow managed to completely derail wk057's thread with all this talk about Linux and GPL and what not.
Maybe it's time to move all this into its own thread?

Yeah, I meant it more as a joke than anything factual. With that being said I do work for a company who still sells a product with Windows Embedded XP on it. We are in the process of updating it to Win 7 Embedded, but it like anything in SW world lately it's taking longer than expected.

The moderators do have their work cut out for them in keeping wk057's thread from constantly derailing because there is a fight just starting to brew between Tesla and the owners. Most just haven't really seen it or don't know of all the forces at play. I applaud WK057 for his efforts, and his accomplishments. What he's doing is absolutely critical for owners of Tesla's. It just might not be evident quite yet to most, but it will be. The one person who can shed a lot of light on this is noticeably absent from this thread. The only people who won't have a stake in it are the kind that keep a car only when its under warranty.

Luckily some recently passed legislation is squarely on the side of the customer, and basically okay's the work WK057 is doing.

It's OK to hack your own car, US copyright authorities rule | Business | The Guardian

Last edited:
I repeat, the FSF has nothing to do with this whatsoever. Please.
The FSF has in the past helped push forward these sorts of initiatives, they don't have to be the copyright holder to help those that are and to push for proper use of GPL products. I had naively assumed that they were doing their good work as so often they do in this department to help out.

I recommend you consult with the FSF if you have not already, unfortunately, Tesla often seems to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, so your only recourse may be for a lawyer to actually file suit in the courts. I'd bet they settle before it gets there, but without that level of threat they're unlikely to do the right thing.

Reactions: davidc18
That's a pretty sad statement. You realize that most every embedded device these days runs Linux. You had an MRI lately? That's a Linux box. You have a wifi router at home? >50% Linux. You have a smartphone? 70% Linux. Your TiVo? Linux. Basically every single car maker has their next gen IVI system running Linux. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Jaguar, Land Rover, Porsche... all running Linux. QNX and VxWorks are both shrinking fast in market share.

I wonder what Linus Torvald drives?

The FSF has in the past helped push forward these sorts of initiatives, they don't have to be the copyright holder to help those that are and to push for proper use of GPL products. I had naively assumed that they were doing their good work as so often they do in this department to help out.
You are confusing the FSF with the SFLC (Software Freedom Law Center). The FSF are the folks that run around yelling "You have to call it GNU/Linux" and in general live in a world that is slightly different from the world that most of us live in. The FSF in general denounces the use of any proprietary software. The SFLC is involved in some of the GPL enforcement, including some enforcement around the Linux kernel.
I recommend you consult with the FSF if you have not already, unfortunately, Tesla often seems to think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, so your only recourse may be for a lawyer to actually file suit in the courts. I'd bet they settle before it gets there, but without that level of threat they're unlikely to do the right thing.
The day I consult on anything with the FSF is the day of the finals in the Hell ice hockey cup.

Believe me, I know my way around open source, open source licenses, and especially the Linux kernel and its developer community. This has been both my day job and my hobby for most of the past 24 years.
I usually try to keep this forum separated from the rest of my life, but if you would like to understand why I say what I say, please google "Linus and Dirk" - maybe that will clear things up a little.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder what Linus Torvald drives?
He drives a 13 year old AMG SLK Mercedes. He has driven both my Model S 60 and my P85D but he really really prefers convertibles. I tried to interest him in a Roadster but he was very disappointed with the fit and finish when he sat in one (and his wife isn't thrilled with the safety concerns around the roadster).

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and davidc18
dirkhh, do you raise your fist and yell "Elon, you SOB", everytime you drive your car? :biggrin:
No
I hope Tesla will get its act together and do the right thing. They should realize having an owner like you can make a difference.
I tried that argument. I actually got Jerome to respond at one point, but only to punt to someone else and there the conversation again disappeared.
Maybe his wife will talk him into a Model X :cool:
(I assume you are talking about Linus' wife?) She drives a convertible, too :)

It's mainly just freaking annoying because they have this do-good image and that loud mouth joker at the helm who talks about "open sourcing patents" when his company can't even comply with the inbound license of the software that they use in their product.
I agree 100%, but that's just Elon's personality. He tells people what they want to hear, and does what he wants regardless.

Reactions: xborg
I agree 100%, but that's just Elon's personality. He tells people what they want to hear, and does what he wants regardless.

Go slightly OT here, but also why I feel the likes of George Blankenship being missing from the senior team is long term damaging to the brand.

We can see the result of Elon's personality being left unchecked, and while many put it down to communication blunders, I'm more inclined to feel it's lack of balance at the top.

For me the real question however is why Tesla feel the need to violate the licence terms. As others have mentioned they have received the benefit of a springboard and acceleration in their dev times, to which the quid pro quo is they should comply with the licence.

We could have put it down to a simple oversight, however it's pretty clear sight of the problem is known of at the top, so I can only speculate on their motivations.

I couldn't remember if they started from Debian or Ubuntu. Given how much they stripped away it doesn't really matter. My point is they aren't "running Ubuntu".
2.6.36. That hurts. Oct 2010. So they likely started from Ubuntu 10.10 and did the critical update to 2.6.36 (because .35 had serious issues) but haven't done much since then... And 2.6.36 has a TON of exploits - it hasn't received security updates in ages.

Sounds like a little security by obscurity, if they use wide open unmaintained libraries. Or maybe reputation saving by obscurity. It's not like other car manufacturers are any better, but Tesla's reputation is based partly on the images of being an IT minded company.

Of course, you can't keep the car on any kind of current update branch, but patching vulnerabilities in a reasonable time frame, especially around the browser, should be an obvious necessity on any networked system.

I don't know why I didn't realize you were that Dirk before. Crazy and tragic news about Ian Murdock today.
Yes. I have known Ian for almost 20 years. I wouldn't claim that we were good friends (we disagreed a lot), but we were well acquainted and I got him one of his jobs... He was more than five years younger than me. This strikes close to home.

"LetsGoFast" from Virginia doesn't give me much to go on - but since I lived in Virginia for a while in the mid 90s... do we know each other? :)

@dirkhh - Hi, I'm currently unable to PM you (either through ignorance of how this forum works or due to my newbie status).
If you are able to initiate a PM with me, may I request that you do so, I have some info I would like to impart of which you may not be aware - it is not Tesla related, so I don't want to go into too much detail on this thread. It is more related to things that you have said here and in the "Let the hacking begin" thread.

Cheers.

Paul..

:p

Ok, not the same, but guess who else uses Windows XP?

Britain's health service paralyzed in massive international cyber attack

Quote:

Krishna Chinthapalli, a doctor at Britain's National Hospital for Neurology & Neurosurgery who wrote a paper on cybersecurity for the British Medical Journal, warned that British hospitals' old operating systems and confidential patient information made them an ideal target for blackmailers.

He said many NHS hospitals in Britain use Windows XP software, introduced in 2001, and as government funding for the health service has been squeezed, "IT budgets are often one of the first ones to be reduced."

"Looking at the trends, it was going to happen," he said. "I did not expect an attack on this scale. That was a shock.

End Quote.

(sorry to continue to derail this thread...)

Ancient thread but it seems people are still interested.
I finally have a legal contact at Tesla and they asked requests for compliance with the GPL to be sent there... so if you happen to want access to the source of the Copyleft software running in your car, drop me a PM (I don't feel comfortable sharing that email in a post that can easily parsed by spam bots... that would seem unkind...)

Digging up an old thread to note: the constant haranguing to Tesla about their GPL violations seems to have finally met the ear of someone with some weight. Who said constant nagging didn't get anything done?

Tesla has open-sourced their tegra 4.4 branch of the linux kernel for the CID and IC (IC Still runs 2.6.32.2 FWIW), as well as their version of buildroot for the AP2 Computer and the MCU2/Model 3 entertainment environment. Both sources, as well as a few other interesting GPL projects and forks, are available on Tesla's Github account.