Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla listed as one of '10 Cars Almost No Women Drive' by Marketwatch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the article says that on average more women buy based on fuel efficiency, safety and economics. Given that women earn less than men (even with same education and experience level), it is not surprising. Model S is still expensive, but we know it has no competition on engendering, performance, style, fuel cost, environmental impact AND safety, so just wait til the Gen III comes out, then lets see what these articles say.

+ 1

Hmmmm. Let's see if there might be a plausible explanation. Notice anything the cars on the list have in common? That's right, they're all expensive enough that anyone who is economically disadvantaged will have a correspondingly harder time justifying the purchase. What's next? The revelation that not many first-time car owners buy Teslas? Or that they're disproportionately owned by people in prosperous nations?

Shocker!!

There are more women drivers than men:
More women drivers than men on U.S. roads now

However only about 35-40% of cars are registered to women:
If you look through all the major automakers: Toyota, Chevy, Ford, Honda, Nissan, Volkswagen, Dodge the percentage of registration by women ranges from about 28% to 45%
I didn't multiply the percentages by market share, which is what it would take to get an accurate number, but I think 40% is a good guess.
Men Prefer Flashy or Brawny Vehicles; Women Prefer Import Brands and Smaller Vehicles According to TrueCar.com Study

So there is a significant gap from 50.5% women drivers to 40% women registered owners. It is probable that most of those in the gap are actually in a household that ( jointly ) owns a car, it just isn't registered in their name.

We have role reversal in our household, as I am the one to whom all three of our cars are registered, and I'm the one who is obsessed with and is buying the Tesla. My husband could give a hoot about cars—he wants practicality and affordability (he had a Honda civic and now drives a Prius. I also drive a Prius V after trading in my Volvo XC60 for it to save gas). He always opts for the base model of a car while I get the fully loaded versions. In my suburb, I'd say I see a disproportionate number of women driving Audi Q5s/Q7s, Mercedes crossovers (GL?), and Lexus RXs. Men drive sedan versions of those brands and Infinitis.

Leilani M. recently posted a tweet by a Lindsey Turrentine who tweeted that few women own/drive a Tesla all based on what SHE has observed driving around her town. Absolutely not based on any data but her cursory observation. As a woman owner/driver of a Model S, I take offense at the stereotyping that so many people make. From reading the many posts on this forum and Tesla's forum, there are quite a few women happily driving a Tesla. Women can appreciate a great car. And I would have gone with the bolder Signature Red if it was still available.

We have quite a few Tesla's running around our town and at least 50% of them are being driven by women. My wife likes nice cars but is not obsessed with any of them but cannot get her out of the Model S, she even does the Tesla time with anyone who asks her about it.