Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Loaner program change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
So I have yet another problem with my car, emailed them asking for a service appointment. Was pleasantly surprised that they have something next week.

FYI: I also got this:
As for a Tesla, we have recently changed our loaner program. If alternate transportation is needed, we can surely provide a vehicle for you during service. However, it is dependent upon what we have that day. It will either be a Hertz rental vehicle, which is on site here, or a Tesla loaner. It is a first come first serve basis.

Seems they no longer let you reserve a loaner, and they changed from Enterprise to Hertz.

Must be *very* recent. I just was in for an "annual" service (went with Owings Mills this time) and I was able to set up a time that I would be getting a loaner.

I made sure to caveat my appointment scheduling with the fact that I was in no rush so the next available loaner would be fine whenever.

I feel like this might just be more of the Service Center inconsistency we've seen with regard to policies and the like.

Reactions: vrykolas
It's been that way for the three years I've been involved. They reserve a comparable loaner if you are able to schedule in advance, or give you what they have (or a rental) if the appointment is more urgent. My loaners have ranged from an Enterprise SUV to an S60 to a P85D over the years. It seems reasonable that they would occasionally renegotiate rental terms with local vendors and switch as appropriate.

It hasn't been that way at Tysons. I made it very clear in my email I'll wait for the next appointment, no hurry, to get a loaner. My problem is more of an annoyance. They said, well you can read it above in post 1, loaners are not scheduled anymore.

I don't care if they would've given me a base S 60 as a loaner, I just don't want the hassle of them driving me over to Enterprise, waiting to get a car, etc. It's a lot faster to get a loaner, plus I'd rather drive another Tesla vs. an ICE.

This must be a local recent change at Tysons then.

Reactions: madodel
It hasn't been that way at Tysons. I made it very clear in my email I'll wait for the next appointment, no hurry, to get a loaner. My problem is more of an annoyance. They said, well you can read it above in post 1, loaners are not scheduled anymore.

I don't care if they would've given me a base S 60 as a loaner, I just don't want the hassle of them driving me over to Enterprise, waiting to get a car, etc. It's a lot faster to get a loaner, plus I'd rather drive another Tesla vs. an ICE.

This must be a local recent change at Tysons then.

It might be a response to a disconnect between the workload and number of available loaners.

If they don't have enough work to keep all the available techs busy but don't have loaners to give out right now (like they are waiting for parts in several undrivable cars or something,) this would be a reasonable solution.