Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Loaner Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is running a lot of their loaners through auction in Nevada this week.

Here is a link to the run list.

workbook062617.csv

If you are interested in receiving weekly emails with Tesla's going through auction - please sign up for my weekly mailing list. (I do not sell, share or spam)

Tesla Weekly

Let me know if you see anything you like and I can send you pictures and a condition report. I can also assist with the purchase if you are interested.

I was sort of interested in the 4 Cylinder Model S on line 22, but really want a V6.o_O
4 Cylinder.jpg

Is that Tesla selling these loaners or is a separate company handling all this? I find it slightly sarcastic that Tesla is totally against dealers but when selling their loaners you have to be a dealer to bid on these? So they are making sure these cars end up with dealers.

Tesla has a policy. The Extended Service Agreement (additional 4 year/50K) warranty can not be purchased for a Tesla that has been owned by a dealer. Same policy does not apply if the used Tesla is purchased from a private owner. Check to confirm before you buy one from a dealer.

Wait so do you have to be a dealer to actually bid/buy these cars?...

oh well that's too bad. Why only dealers allowed?
The venue is Manheim Auctions, they are by far the largest auction company and a dealer to dealer auction. Cars are sold with reserve and thousands change hands everyday. The auction sales are no hassle to Tesla plus the auction can do reconditioning to the cars in house such as they have done to some of these cars. Tesla is not equipped to do the repairs in house and probably just wants out of excess hard to sell inventory and the MMR values are very accurate. Tesla will sell at auction rather than at a lower retail price because of the finality of the sale and it helps maintain higher resale values. If they retailed used cars at a lower price they would hurt new and CPO car pricing and that is where they make money. Virtually all large dealers wholesale cars.

Last edited:
Do you have an estimate/guess at the average discount to MMR? 5%? 10%
MMR is a very accurate estimate of the sales price because it is based on actual sales of the cars at Manheim auctions. If the price is lower than MMR there is usually a reason for it being a less desirable car than others of the same make, model, year and condition. MMR factors in the previous recent sales of the same car, it's condition rating and miles. The MMR is so accurate that Manheim knows the car can be resold by them again at the approximate same price they will offer DealSheild, a guarantee that can be purchased at time of sale so a dealer can return the car and get a full refund of purchase price and buyer fees no questions asked if the dealer can't resell the car in 21 days as long as the car is in the same condition and hasn't driven over 500 miles.

Last edited:
(serious question)-- why have an auction at all? Why not just sell the cars at MMR price? How often do cars go above MMR price and by how much?

that isnt very true at all. at least not for the Tesla's that run through manheim, I've actually taken a dive into it for a few months and the prices are all over the place, I've seen them sell for as low as 10k under MMR and they do sell above the stated MMR. it really depends who is there that day and what they are willing to pay. the MMR is also not accurate because it does not take into account the options the car has. remember this is a live auction, there really is no telling how much a car can or cannot sell for.