TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla loaner - supercharger idling fees?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by jgd108, May 22, 2018.

1. jgd108

jgd108 Member

Hi,
    I did google searches but couldn't find anything..

I'll be getting my first loaner this week and was wondering if you get charged supercharger idling fees?
    I assume Tesla won't be billing you?

Also do you have to return the loaner with a meaningful charge or it really doesn't matter?

Thx!

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Member

ummm.. Just don't do it.

• Like x 10
  3. ooandyoo

ooandyoo Member

I'm curious too. I got a P85D loaner but they didnt include the J1772 adapter with the car. My adapter is still in my Model 3 which is still being serviced.

When you pick up your loaner, make sure that you have your adapter or that the loaner has one. I've been struggling keeping it charged with daily L1 charging.

• Informative x 1
  4. nogajim

nogajim Member

Don’t be a dick, even if it is free.

• Like x 13
  5. jgd108

jgd108 Member

Ha! Great point. I will remove my adapter box from the car so I can have all my options in case I can't just supercharge it.

6. lasdj

lasdj Member

Sorry a bit off topic. I also have a loaner but just wanted to know if super charging is free. Thinking of going to SD which is about 130 miles 1 way. I won't let it idle. Also do i have to bring the car back to SC full charge?

7. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

To get a firm answer, you should ask the Service center that is providing your loaner.

If customers abuse their loaners, it will just be a matter of time until Tesla cuts them off, so as others have said...don't be a dick.

If you take your loaner back, with no charge, they will need to take it out of service for the time it takes to charge for the next guy. This reduces their being available as a loaner so the next guy will be out of luck.

Think of how you would feel if your Brother borrows your car for free, and brings it back with an empty tank.

People are really happy when they get their loaners fully charged. Do your part to make that happen for the next guy. Pay it forward.

Doubt that Tesla would charge you for neither Supercharging nor idling fees, but clogging up a busy Supercharger or bringing it back with little charge would be weak.

When you go to San Diego, remember the Qualcomm charger is usually clogged. Supercharging at San Clemente or Capistrano going in and out would be a good idea. If going down I-15 the new Supercharger at Lake Elsinore Outlets is mostly always empty.

• Like x 3
  8. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Tesla should charge you quadruple the usual rate.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  9. ooandyoo

ooandyoo Member

oops. I didnt realize the OP was talking about idling fees. I'm interested if there are normal charge fees if I bring the model S loaner to the super charger.

10. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

Why would anyone think this as a reasonable thing to consider? If I had my way I'd send you for EV etiqutte education.

• Like x 1
  11. lasdj

lasdj Member

Thanks for the response. I was going to bring it back at 80% because the nearest one takes about 10% to get there, but my friend did and I gave them this look of why?! Thanks for the info with where to charge in SD. I will be looking into the Lake Elsinore Outlets one. Is there a website for planning trips. I tried the Tesla one, plugshare and evtriplanner but was not sure which one is best to use.

12. MosquitoFloss

MosquitoFloss Member

Loaner or not, what are the idle fees?
    I was walking back to the supercharger this weekend after using it for the first time in my 3's maiden voyage and I got a notification that said "Charging complete, disconnect to avoid idle fees" (or something like that). I couldn't find the itemized charges, and am curious (without an etiquette lecture- yes, I know 'don't be a dick, others are waiting') what the idle fees are like.

Thanks.

13. jgd108

jgd108 Member

Not sure why I'm getting so many comments of not being a dick and EV etiquette.
    I guess I should've just waited to ask the service center myself (btw they said no charges for idling).
    I don't plan on leaving the car unattended after the charge is done, it's more of a what would happen if I did.
    And yeah the San Diego supercharger seems uber busy. Will try home charging on 110v where I'll be staying if possible..

@MosquitoFloss check this out: Supercharger Idle Fee

• Helpful x 1
  14. vinnie97

vinnie97 #WalkAway

Or just give him an ICE as I've received (nearly 4 weeks now with it, I want my Prius back).

• Like x 1