Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Loaner Tires are AWESOME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At first I was very confused. I thought the post was about how Tesla was outfitting their loaner CARS, not just the wheel/tire. Now that I understand, it's quite smart.. and probably quite effective at getting timely returns.

I don't get how people can get away with stealing them.. it's not like Tesla doesn't know who they gave them out to right?

I'm sure it's just to make it easy to identify and encourage quick returns. Someone might be tempted to return a different wheel that has less tread life for example. Yes they have serial numbers but this makes it much more obvious they are being tracked.

Heard of a guy in the 70"s that rented a mustang. Then proceeded to swap that motor with his worn out motor. Never under estimate the desire of people to save some $$$ :)

Tesla would not be doing this unless they were having problems getting their tires back.

Current rental cars mark their tires (discreetly) to keep people from swaping them with worn out tires as well.

The story is, people were stealing loaner wheels so tesla had to make them undesirable enough for people to not want to keep them.

(told to me by a service center employee when I came to get wheels for my second flat, with a loaner on, and asked the question why it had stickers on it).

Makes sense if anyone thinks about it for a couple of seconds.

Haha, that was my first guess. They're intentionally ugly so people won't keep them and will be back to get their new wheel (not just a tire). My guess is that Tesla loans you a wheel and puts your tire on it (if your tire is fine).

The one they let me borrow was spray painted so that it showed a T.
3CAC4131-05F9-4E6A-865A-A1DE5491E008.jpeg

Haha, that was my first guess. They're intentionally ugly so people won't keep them and will be back to get their new wheel (not just a tire). My guess is that Tesla loans you a wheel and puts your tire on it (if your tire is fine).

actually, since in most cases you are on the road, they come with a wheel and tire (19s, regardless of what you have on your car if its a model 3). They put the wheel and tire on your car, and either:

1. Take your wheel and tire to the local service center, if you want them to, or
2. give you your wheel and tire (put in your trunk / in your car, wherever you tell them to put it) and send you on your way.

As I mentioned they have you sign an agreement that you have a loaner wheel / tire. You have a few days to deal with it. If you kept your wheel, then you deal with it, then take theirs back to a local service center. If you let the tow driver take your wheel to the local service center, you go there, they put a new tire on it, put it on your car, and take theirs back.

Reactions: Spacep0d
does a 19" fit on a P3D w/OEM 20"?

Yes.... Unfortunately I have first hand knowledge since I had to use roadside twice last year for flat tires, and I have a Model 3P with performance pack (so 20 inch OEM tires, and brakes).

The tire they bring doesnt have TPMS though, so the car complains about that the entire time you have the loaner tire installed.

Reactions: adhoc
actually, since in most cases you are on the road, they come with a wheel and tire (19s, regardless of what you have on your car if its a model 3). They put the wheel and tire on your car, and either:

1. Take your wheel and tire to the local service center, if you want them to, or
2. give you your wheel and tire (put in your trunk / in your car, wherever you tell them to put it) and send you on your way.

As I mentioned they have you sign an agreement that you have a loaner wheel / tire. You have a few days to deal with it. If you kept your wheel, then you deal with it, then take theirs back to a local service center. If you let the tow driver take your wheel to the local service center, you go there, they put a new tire on it, put it on your car, and take theirs back.

Ah, thanks for explaining the process!

Nice! Do they put your own tire on their loaner or is the whole loaner a complete wheel/tire assembly? I suppose this depends on what happened to your original wheel and tire. :D

My situation was different. Tesla scratched my sonic carbon wheel when replacing a tire. They sent it off to repair and gave me a loaner in the mean time. The tire is usually mounted on a loaner wheel while your tire is repaired.

The agreement I signed when RA sent out a loaner was that Tesla would charge me the full price of a new rim and wheel if I didn't return the loaner within 3 days. Which was somewhat alarming because the soonest SC appointment I could get to make the swap was 2 weeks out. It all worked out in the end but I spent a lot of time emailing/texting and even dropping in on the SC on day 3 to make sure they were aware I just wanted to own 4 tires, not 5.

ETA: my loaner had a Tesla logo sticker on it and the worst case of curb rash I've ever seen.