Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Loaners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious what everyone's experiences have been with Tesla Loaners.

We took our MS in for a rear view mirror chrome plate replacement. The tint shop we used messed up and their heat gun damaged the chrome finish.

Anyways, long story short, we got a loaner MS 85 for the day. The car itself was fine, fully charged etc. except it was pretty beat up inside. Dark smear marks on the headliner, worn and cracking leather seats etc.

It's the Costa Mesa SC so I'm assuming they're really busy and their loaners take a beating. It still beats enterprise by a long shot but seems a little disappointing in the condition of the car. The car had 36k miles.

I've been driving a loaner S85 vin 24k range for the past 2 weeks / 3k miles (got it with 25k miles). Zero issues but apparent that the car has not yet been cosmetically reconditioned for sale (makes sense). Doesn't bother me one bit driving free miles on a car with a few scratches and wheel scuffs because it isn't mine and most people don't notice.

Is it bad that I've washed my loaner 2x so far? Before returning I will clean it again and vacuum the interior to bring it back to how it was presented to me.

I was told that loaners stay in the fleet until 40k miles and are reconditioned upon CPO sale. As a shareholder I agree with this method - age the trade ins but don't invest a dime until resale because you will likely end up doing it twice otherwise.

Reactions: MrJones390 and JC86
I've had a loaner twice from Watertown, MA. Both times for a day and both times they were older than mine and without autopilot.

But other than needing to remember that the turning signal stalk is in a slightly different position they both drove great. Reasonably clean inside. The second one interior had very low wear (10k miles). Normal multi day outside parked dustiness.

I asked about this at the Eden Prairie store/Service Center the other day when finalizing my order. My Owner Advisor said that they are trying to get more Autopilot equipped cars in their fleet, and that they recently got more so that now half of their fleet has AP & half doesn't. She said that they try to give owners with AP an AP equipped loaner whenever possible because they get complaints when someone loses AP when they're used to it.

• Informative
Reactions: JC86
But other than needing to remember that the turning signal stalk is in a slightly different position they both drove great. Reasonably clean inside.

The non-AP cruise control shifter threw me off as well. I kept engaging it when trying to engage my turn signal. I'm guessing that placement threw a lot of people off which is why they moved the AP shifter beneath the turn signal on the AP enabled cars.

Re-reading my original post, it seems like it comes off a little whiney and that really wasn't my intent. I was simply curious as to how Tesla handles their loaner fleet. The experience at Costa Mesa SC was top notch and everything was spot-on.

As an aside, it'd be pretty amazing if Tesla, with our permission, can upload our driver profiles to their servers, and push it to the loaner car assigned to your when you drop off your car.

Reactions: hybridbear
old beat up high mileage MS is better than new ICE of any flavor. Using older cars as loaners makes perfect sense to me.
Indeed. If they need to build out a loaner fleet, I'd be happy with just about anything (an old 2013 60kWh with 80k miles? Sure! Sign me up). Plus it can save 20-40 minutes sitting idly at Enterprise while they sort out the rental. For those of us with kids and car seats, learning how to mount the car seat securely in a new vehicle can also be very time consuming. A loaner, any loaner, is a pretty big deal. New and fancy is great, obviously, but considering the alternative I'd personally take whatever they can scrounge up.

Reactions: bhzmark
The non-AP cruise control shifter threw me off as well. I kept engaging it when trying to engage my turn signal. I'm guessing that placement threw a lot of people off which is why they moved the AP shifter beneath the turn signal on the AP enabled cars.

Re-reading my original post, it seems like it comes off a little whiney and that really wasn't my intent. I was simply curious as to how Tesla handles their loaner fleet. The experience at Costa Mesa SC was top notch and everything was spot-on.

As an aside, it'd be pretty amazing if Tesla, with our permission, can upload our driver profiles to their servers, and push it to the loaner car assigned to your when you drop off your car.

Waterman, MA uses the name "Elon" as the profile name so you can pretend.