Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla locking loaner cars in chill mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had a loaner MX from my Tesla service centre. It was locked in chill mode with the options buttons greyed out. I’ve heard Tesla have started doing this on some loaners. Anyone had this experience? I wonder why it is? I meant to ask when I returned their car but forgot to!

I recently had a loaner MX from my Tesla service centre. It was locked in chill mode with the options buttons greyed out. I’ve heard Tesla have started doing this on some loaners. Anyone had this experience? I wonder why it is? I meant to ask when I returned their car but forgot to!

My test drive Model 3 was locked in Chill
Mode. I even drove back and asked them if they could unlock it so I could experience what the car was really like, they refused. Seems all loaners are locked in chill as far as know. Might be a policy per centre though perhaps?

My test drive Model 3 was locked in Chill
Mode. I even drove back and asked them if they could unlock it so I could experience what the car was really like, they refused. Seems all loaners are locked in chill as far as know. Might be a policy per centre though perhaps?
That’s interesting. I wonder why? If I had a Porsche on test I wouldn’t expect it to be limited on performance.

I would've thought the reasons would be obvious.

The cars are a lot faster outside Chill mode. There is negligible benefit to Tesla, and certainly a LOT of potential headaches, from allowing customers to drive off in cars with performance they might be completely unused to.

You don't need full fat performance to know if you're sold on the X or S or whatever, and it's arguable that courtesy cars aren't meant (and certainly shouldn't reflect - sometimes they're a state) to be seen as being like an extended test drive.

The X I had as a courtesy car recently was locked in Chill too. Can't say it bothered me greatly, was grateful to just have something to use whilst mine was in.

Reactions: Adopado and Drew57
Think it’s obvious... no way in hell would there insurance allow them to give the loaners to most people if they weren’t locked!

The alternative is you end up with a Ford Ka as a courtesy car :)

Although a bit odd they gave you a locked test drive car, unless that’s a new policy - they gave me an unlocked M3 performance in January. Although the loaner S I had for the day was locked in chill with speed limiter at 80

I would've thought the reasons would be obvious.

The cars are a lot faster outside Chill mode. There is negligible benefit to Tesla, and certainly a LOT of potential headaches, from allowing customers to drive off in cars with performance they might be completely unused to.

You don't need full fat performance to know if you're sold on the X or S or whatever, and it's arguable that courtesy cars aren't meant (and certainly shouldn't reflect - sometimes they're a state) to be seen as being like an extended test drive.

The X I had as a courtesy car recently was locked in Chill too. Can't say it bothered me greatly, was grateful to just have something to use whilst mine was in.
Yes, they’re obviously much faster when out of chill mode. I disagree with your comments. The performance is a major part of the car. If you can’t be trusted and authorised to use a loaner or a test drive with the car how it was intended then you should not be allowed to use it (you also sign up to a hefty policy excess and liability when you take the car). You might not need the performance to be sold on the car, but there are many others that do. As a loaner, at a push I can see where Tesla are coming from. They only have limited models to provide unless they went ICE as loaners. However, most of the customers in loaners already have a Tesla so are used to how they drive. As a test drive I certainly can’t see the logic. When I had my test drives prior to purchase the Tesla representative made a big play on performance and I agreed how amazing it is. Throttling the performance of their cars on test drives and loan cars seems against one of the main pillars of the brand - i.e. performance.

Test drives, for sure, that's a viable sales prospect. I don't understand why @Jibjab 's car was locked.

You having a courtesy car while yours is in for service, not so much.

The extra performance is in my opinion unnecessary for the purposes of it doing its job - being a courtesy car. You're not being given it with a view to you potentially buying it when you return.

I guess we just have different opinions about what the purpose of a courtesy car is. For me, I'm glad to have something I can get to places with, while my car is in. The X I had recently did all of the things an X does, and enabled me to consider whether I would get one in future, but I didn't need to experience its performance because I already have a M3P, so I can just look at the 0-60 numbers, etc as a comparison.

It seems like you see courtesy cars as an opportunity to hoon about in someone elses car? (no offence intended).

Reactions: Exy1
That’s interesting. I wonder why? If I had a Porsche on test I wouldn’t expect it to be limited on performance.

But you don't have the tesla on test like the Porsche, you have it as a loaner/courtesy vehicle. You can test Tesla's all you want, just walk into the showroom, slap down your Drivers Lic and Insurance and tell them you want to take one for a spin!

Think it’s obvious... no way in hell would there insurance allow them to give the loaners to most people if they weren’t locked!

The alternative is you end up with a Ford Ka as a courtesy car :)

Although a bit odd they gave you a locked test drive car, unless that’s a new policy - they gave me an unlocked M3 performance in January. Although the loaner S I had for the day was locked in chill with speed limiter at 80
But you don't have the tesla on test like the Porsche, you have it as a loaner/courtesy vehicle. You can test Tesla's all you want, just walk into the showroom, slap down your Drivers Lic and Insurance and tell them you want to take one for a spin!
i was responding to the post about a test car that was locked in chill mode.

Reactions: DSolie
Test drives, for sure, that's a viable sales prospect. I don't understand why @Jibjab 's car was locked.

You having a courtesy car while yours is in for service, not so much.

The extra performance is in my opinion unnecessary for the purposes of it doing its job - being a courtesy car. You're not being given it with a view to you potentially buying it when you return.

I guess we just have different opinions about what the purpose of a courtesy car is. For me, I'm glad to have something I can get to places with, while my car is in. The X I had recently did all of the things an X does, and enabled me to consider whether I would get one in future, but I didn't need to experience its performance because I already have a M3P, so I can just look at the 0-60 numbers, etc as a comparison.

It seems like you see courtesy cars as an opportunity to hoon about in someone elses car? (no offence intended).
I agreed with your comments up to the last sentence. Why would you say that? Can you define hoon please?

I agreed with your comments up to the last sentence. Why would you say that? Can you define hoon please?
I meant basically that it seemed like you saw courtesy cars as a means to experience performance you might not otherwise be used to, for an extended period of time.

I can't personally see a logical reason why people would have a big issue with courtesy cars being locked in Chill, unless they - hand on heart - just wanted to have a blast in them. As said, I can see why Tesla might have problems with people having "watch this" moments in their courtesy cars, high excess notwithstanding.

You’re making huge assumptions. How did it seem like i saw courtesy cars as a means to experience performance I might not otherwise be used to? Where did I mention that or imply that in my post? Where did the ‘extended period of time’ come from? If you can’t see a logical reason then that’s fine, thats your opinion. Please don’t jump to conclusions on my motives and try to respect my opinions as I have yours.

• Disagree
It’s how it came across to me, I guess I was mistaken. Apologies.

“Extended period of time” was in reference to the fact that most people would have a courtesy car for a day at least, otherwise you might as well just wait around, and the period of time you have a courtesy car is likely to be longer than you’d get actually test driving a car.

You’re making huge assumptions. How did it seem like i saw courtesy cars as a means to experience performance I might not otherwise be used to? Where did I mention that or imply that in my post? Where did the ‘extended period of time’ come from? If you can’t see a logical reason then that’s fine, thats your opinion. Please don’t jump to conclusions on my motives and try to respect my opinions as I have yours.

It seems you may need to engage..... chill mode

Speaking of respecting opinions; Tesla own the loaner car - Tesla can do whatever they want to it.

It seems you may need to engage..... chill mode

Speaking of respecting opinions; Tesla own the loaner car - Tesla can do whatever they want to it.
Yes they do. And yes they can. Just because I challenge what Tesla do doesn’t make me disrespectful. In business companies, my own company included make business decisions, we all don’t have to accept them. Challenging and sharing views is not disrespectful it’s what forums are all about. Suggesting that you’re using services just to satisfy your unfulfilled desire for speed or to abuse someone else’s property with absolutely no evidence or reason to do so is disrespectful. Maybe it was a throw away remark. I’ve accepted the apology.

• Disagree
Doesn't seem to be a great deal of logic to it, from my experience.

I've had the red S from Birmingham, which was locked in chill mode, and the black X that has ludicrous mode and full FSD.

Neither were mentioned as pros or cons when I picked the car up.

The 3 I test drove was a P and was not locked in chill mode. They asked if I'd driven a tesla before, I said no, they just said to watch out for the acceleration. They were right of course.

Non-chill mode is dangerously quick on anything other than a test track. Yes it can be fun, but it is totally unnecessary and adds nothing to the experience of the car. Personally I think the government should limit acceleration on all cars to prevent deaths caused by aggressive driving. If you want to drive fast you can go to a track, that is what they are for.

Meh, aggressive driving happens in all sorts of vehicles, I don't think legal limits on acceleration will make much of a difference.

Sometimes a dab of the accelerator can get you into trouble, sometimes it can get you out of trouble, but bad drivers are always bad drivers and they never think that they are bad drivers.

• Love
Reactions: Dre78
My last loaner was locked in Chill Mode around March time and it made the return to my own S all that more pleasant on collection, plus I'd say it actually made me feel calmer about the 6 hour round trip :) So agree with the others, if wanting to experience performance when not owning performance then get a test drive. Agree also that Tesla have really missed out on upselling by not using performance variants in their loan programme per Elon's wishes; the business-case pragmatic outcome won out it seems.

When my M3P went in for some work I was disappointed to find that S75D courtesy car was locked in chill mode and the top speed limited to 85 mph. However, after 2 weeks with the courtesy car it reverted to "full fat mode" without me asking. It still feels slow compared to my M3P though, 0-60mph 4.4s compared to 3.1s for M3P! I'm guessing that the SC felt guilty about the long repair time and unlocked the performance; so far I've been without my M3P for 4 weeks, and they have no idea when one of the parts will arrive.