Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla locking loaner cars in chill mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's wrong with it?

Loose front passenger seat due to cross threaded bolt and bracket on the floor plate. Tesla say the car is unsafe in current state if involved in an accident, but that's only if the seat is occupied. It needs a new bracket welding to the floor plate, which means dropping the battery and removing the floor plate. The car is at a Tesla approved bodyshop, but awaiting delivery of the brackets. Once they start the work I plan to inspect the car with the battery removed etc, which should be interesting.

Reactions: Dre78 and Durzel
Loose front passenger seat due to cross threaded bolt and bracket on the floor plate. Tesla say the car is unsafe in current state if involved in an accident, but that's only if the seat is occupied. It needs a new bracket welding to the floor plate, which means dropping the battery and removing the floor plate. The car is at a Tesla approved bodyshop, but awaiting delivery of the brackets. Once they start the work I plan to inspect the car with the battery removed etc, which should be interesting.
Ouch, sorry you’ve had to deal with that. That’s pretty significant! There’s me thinking it might just be a mundane part that is inexplicably proving difficult to source.

Doesn't seem to be a great deal of logic to it, from my experience.

I've had the red S from Birmingham, which was locked in chill mode, and the black X that has ludicrous mode and full FSD.

Neither were mentioned as pros or cons when I picked the car up.

The 3 I test drove was a P and was not locked in chill mode. They asked if I'd driven a tesla before, I said no, they just said to watch out for the acceleration. They were right of course.

I've had that black X from Brum and it was the same. Car was also rough as given the miles/age.

I think it's totally fine locked, it's a free loaner, usually fully charged. There's also wear like tyres for them to concider.

Test drive you should be able to test what you might buy. When I tested the 3P at Solihull they took my details, showed me a short video, gave me the keycard and said come back when your done... Man was that first mash of the accelerator thrilling!

The extra performance is in my opinion unnecessary for the purposes of it doing its job - being a courtesy car. You're not being given it with a view to you potentially buying it when you return.

It seems like you see courtesy cars as an opportunity to hoon about in someone elses car? (no offence intended).

Well I am sure it was Elon himself that at one point wanted all courtesy cars to be the top of the range P cars to give people a taste of their flagship products...

To be fair to Tesla, Porsche never gave me a courtesy 911 whenever mine was in for a service/warranty work. Anything else was fine, Panamera, Cayenne, Macan, Cayman and Boxster, but never a like for like 911. A bit strange as the monetary value and performance of some of the stuff they loaned me was on a par with a 911 sometimes. Just seemed to be their policy.

Test drives were different though, with the added bonus of full use of their Silverstone facility once you’ve purchased :) You can see where some of the profit goes though, amazing place!

I think that courtesy cars being limited is fine, it's more or less standard for the industry - I was once given a 1 Litre Citroen AX when my 3.6 Litre Jag was in for a few days - but reducing the performance down to Chill for test drives is a bit weird in my opinion.

I was given a M3P in Chill when I went for a test drive and they told me it would give similar performance to the LR that I was considering. Not even close, it made my ICE car feel positively responsive by comparison, so that tactic could have backfired badly if it wasn't for the fact that I wanted to see how the car felt and what the handling was like rather than feel the performance.

Thinking about it now, I don't understand why Tesla don't have several "chill" type modes that allow you to take the performance down to the slower vehicles as well as the current chill settings (So a P can perform like an LR, an SR+ and chill).

I actually asked if they could take off chill mode - they said no, its their policy? A lovely 2016 P90D.

Although, I had a 2017 75D in which the screen kept freezing and glitching, so they changed it to the P90D, but the charge port does not close automatically and the rear passenger door outside handle does not work :(

75D was not restricted.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but if just picked up my loaner after being told my car would be two months! In the shop waiting for apart. Chill mode on the loan car caught me out as I tried to floor it to get into a gap in traffic and got nothing. It's frustrating that they do this. It's practically dangerous because it's such a slow pick up.

Got to disagree with the thing about it being a safety issue too. Surely everyone who has a Tesla loan car already owns a Tesla? So they'll be used to the performance

I do. I guess it's because it's sooooo much slower than my car. You get used to being able to get into gaps on a motorway. To lose that ability is unnerving. And it's certainly going to make any long trips much more tedious.
I used to drive a 44t truck loaded with steel for a living, completing many thousands of safe miles and deliveries, and with this experience I would respectfully suggest that if you need the extreme performance of an unrestricted Tesla to "get into a gap" on the motorway, then that gap that you're effectively forcing yourself into is far too small! Incidentally, other than for 'demonstrations' I always run my Tesla in chill mode which I find more than sufficient!

I used to drive a 44t truck loaded with steel for a living, completing many thousands of safe miles and deliveries, and with this experience I would respectfully suggest that if you need the extreme performance of an unrestricted Tesla to "get into a gap" on the motorway, then that gap that you're effectively forcing yourself into is far too small! Incidentally, other than for 'demonstrations' I always run my Tesla in chill mode which I find more than sufficient!
Not really no. There's a huge difference between driving a trick and a car as you know. It's not the difference between a performance car and chill mode car. It's the difference between any car and a car stuck in chill mode. You just can't make quick progress on a motorway becasue you can't pull out and overtake unless there is a huge gap.

• Disagree
Reactions: Exy1
"There's a huge difference between driving a trick and a car as you know."
Unfortunately there is, but there shouldn't be as the way each is driven hugely affects the other. Driving Trucks is all about anticipation and being prepared and leaving room for the mistakes and impatience of others, and that applies whether those 'others' are driving cars or indeed other trucks.
It's the difference between any car and a car stuck in chill mode. You just can't make quick progress on a motorway becasue you can't pull out and overtake unless there is a huge gap.

It seems to work ok for me in chill mode but perhaps because even though I've now retired I still try to apply the qualities I've previously mentioned which have served me well over many years and miles. I will say once again: "I would respectfully suggest that if you need the extreme performance of an unrestricted Tesla to "get into a gap" on the motorway, then that gap that you're effectively forcing yourself into is far too small!"

You just can't make quick progress on a motorway becasue you can't pull out and overtake unless there is a huge gap.
A Tesla in chill mode is actually still quicker than most other cars on the road! If you’re struggling to drive it normally then the problem can’t really be said to be the car!

Every car you drive that isn’t your own needs some degree of extra “assessment” as to its performance before you decide to make a manoeuvre that places particular expectations on acceleration, braking or handling. (We probably all do that when first driving an unfamiliar hire car.) However, to avoid any issues for drivers I think it would be a good idea for Tesla to let them know if the car has been set in Chill mode. (People reading this thread will have no excuse because we now know about the issue and can check the car settings before driving off.)