Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Looking for Good Drivers to Test Full Self-Driving System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

If you want to be a beta tester of Tesla’s Full Self-Driving system, you’re going to need to be a good driver.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted that owners will soon be able to request access via a button in the car. This will give Tesla permission to evaluate owners’ driving for seven days before they’re included in the beta testing group.

Musk also tweeted that that Version 10.1 of the FSD Beta is estimated to arrive on September 24th. The beta request button will be included in the update.

The V10 update was well-received, with some reviewers showing their cars navigating through areas that it was previously unable to complete without driver intervention. Musk has said the next version will be another noticeable step in performance for the system. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Battouttahe77
I'd like to see some statistical proof that their criteria for "good driving behavior" is relevant. I find playing the Tesla minigame of watching the road and watching for the apply torque to the steering wheel message to be super frustrating. - And _yes_ I am holding the wheel. -- Maybe the current FSD is dramatically better than whatever I've got in my car, but the version that I have makes mistakes often. Which is why I prioritize maintaining awareness of whats going on around the car; I think that's more important for safety than playing the minigame. Apparently Tesla disagrees(?).
Welcome to the forum.

I’m less worried about how people drive, and far far more worried about the folks that have a “I want to get back at Tesla” approach for some reason or another.
(Usually because Tesla denied user caused damage, they felt Tesla should repair for free, or something like that).

These folks will post videos and verbiage with the sole purpose of trying their best to make Tesla look bad.
I could easily list the folks that fit this criteria, that frequently these forums. :)

I’ll put money on the table, we will see this dramatic, exaggerated reporting, and behaviour from these needy folks as sure as tax’s when they get the beta. :)

The aggressive drivers aren’t really what I feel is the biggest problem.
You think it'll be worse than the current gimmick features you get for $10,000? Like the smart summon that drives that car out of the garage and into the grass, or traffic light control that slams the brakes when approaching green lights at 55mph making you hit the accelerator to create jerky moves, or the people behind you hit brakes to avoid hitting you, in order to acknowledge the green lights? Or the above mentioned game of looking at the dash every couple of seconds to make sure you're applying enough counterforce or else you'll get put into Tesla Gulag.

Reactions: techlogik
I want to "trust it", not necessarily trust it but use it to assist me in driving, or make the driving easier. Instead I feel the autopilot/FSD now just frustrates me and makes me do more work than driving manually. Constantly glancing at the dash for counter steer warnings and the car jamming the brakes when approaching GREEN traffic lights is unreasonably annoying. I live in Florida and our roads here are like grids, most are very straight and run E-W or N-S so you need to make minimal input into the steering wheel when you drive. I feel as I have to make more input when on autopilot than if I was just driving manually.

You think it'll be worse than the current gimmick features you get for $10,000? Like the smart summon that drives that car out of the garage and into the grass, or traffic light control that slams the brakes when approaching green lights at 55mph making you hit the accelerator to create jerky moves, or the people behind you hit brakes to avoid hitting you, in order to acknowledge the green lights? Or the above mentioned game of looking at the dash every couple of seconds to make sure you're applying enough counterforce or else you'll get put into Tesla Gulag.
Did you mean to reply to someone else’s posting. I have no idea how your reply relates to my post ??

That’s exactly what I would have said before I took my most recent road trip about 3 weeks ago. Only time I had landed in AP jail was when I had truly become distracted enough to miss the multiple prompts. But as of last trip, when I got put in jail, after resetting and getting out I made a conscious and active effort to not get thrown in again! Almost immediately after the blue blinking reminder I would apply torque. The weird thing is, my notification from the blue warning seemed to decrease, and despite literally my best efforts to “jump on” the alert — I still was placed in jail twice more over the course of a 4 hour drive. It really felt like something had changed in the notification system - been doing this for almost 3 years. Anyone feel the same, or have knowledge of an update changing anything?
Interesting, I was not aware that an AP jail causes any long term changes to AP nag behavior. I do feel like that behavior changes with some ota updates…the length has certainly shortened over the years, and i also feel there are some random times that the nag will pop up much faster than normal. Or maybe it isn’t random, but has to do with conditions that make it unconfident. But certainly plausible that ap jail offenders temporarily get a stricter policies. It's not something I’m willing to test lol.

Doesn't sound very safe approaching lights at a junction at 55mph? You can avoid any jerky moves just by pulling on the stalk...smooth as butter. You don't have to look at screen to see if you are applying enough force...you will hear a beep if you aren't...

Doesn't sound very safe approaching lights at a junction at 55mph? You can avoid any jerky moves just by pulling on the stalk...smooth as butter. You don't have to look at screen to see if you are applying enough force...you will hear a beep if you aren't...
I’m in the refresh MS, no stalks so it makes you press the accelerator as it’s trying to brake for a green light

Most of the TMC anonymous nicks that complain all the time don't own a Tesla, let alone a $10k option like FSD, so they won't be posting any of their own videos or pics. They'll comment on other people's videos, pics, news articles, ...etc... Mainly a lot of drivel that Tesla owners mostly ignore.

I’m less worried about how people drive, and far far more worried about the folks that have a “I want to get back at Tesla” approach for some reason or another.
(Usually because Tesla denied user caused damage, they felt Tesla should repair for free, or something like that).

These folks will post videos and verbiage with the sole purpose of trying their best to make Tesla look bad.
I could easily list the folks that fit this criteria, that frequently these forums. :)

I’ll put money on the table, we will see this dramatic, exaggerated reporting, and behaviour from these needy folks as sure as tax’s when they get the beta. :)

The aggressive drivers aren’t really what I feel is the biggest problem.

Has anyone noticed that this is an amazing Data gathering campaign for Tesla?

Right now, they can only collect this data on people with Tesla insurance (so a small % of people in CA).

Suddenly a button appears, asking you for permission for your data in exchange for a lottery of getting FSD. You click it. They get your data. But you don't get FSD. So sad for you, but huge data for Tesla.

It's genius.

Has anyone noticed that this is an amazing Data gathering campaign for Tesla?

Right now, they can only collect this data on people with Tesla insurance (so a small % of people in CA).

Suddenly a button appears, asking you for permission for your data in exchange for a lottery of getting FSD. You click it. They get your data. But you don't get FSD. So sad for you, but huge data for Tesla.

It's genius.
They’ve already got this data. They just haven’t ever been given permission to attach it to a person. This button only maybe gives them 7 days of personal data. Not an evil plan.
This isn’t some genius plan. You guys are reading too much into it. :)

They’ve already got this data. They just haven’t ever been given permission to attach it to a person. This button only maybe gives them 7 days of personal data. Not an evil plan.
Actually, they don't. People with root have seen that the car does not collect this data unless the insurance flag is set. So Tesla is getting tons of data they do not have, across 49 states they don't have it in. And ironically, in the state they do collect it, they are legally not allowed to use it to set insurance rates!

Plus, there's no promise that opting in to this is limited to 7 days. He just said they would use 7 days to evaluate FSD beta access. For all we know it will be opt in forever, or as long as the "beta" runs (Remember, all AP functions are in beta, even after 5 years, even "auto wipers"...)

This is the kind of data that is worthless without being attached to a person/car anyway. The Tesla fleet had 1,487 ABS activations last month? What good is that if you can't tie it to a car, person, and activity? Maybe all of those are the 100 Tesla owners that track their cars and they all occurred on race tracks.

I'd like a list.
  • ABS Activation - Number of times ABS is activated
  • Hours Driven - Average daily driving time
  • Forced Autopilot Disengagements - Number of times Autopilot is disabled due to ignored alerts
  • Forward Collision Warnings - Number of times car detects a potential forward collision
  • Unsafe Following Time - Portion of time spent at an unsafe following distance
  • Intensity of Acceleration and Braking - Speed variance due to extreme acceleration and braking. Shown on a scale from 0-10 as measured against Tesla's internal fleet.
From other data, Tesla collects time spent within 1 second of car in front and 3 seconds within car in front.