Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Looking for Good Drivers to Test Full Self-Driving System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

If you want to be a beta tester of Tesla’s Full Self-Driving system, you’re going to need to be a good driver.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted that owners will soon be able to request access via a button in the car. This will give Tesla permission to evaluate owners’ driving for seven days before they’re included in the beta testing group.

Musk also tweeted that that Version 10.1 of the FSD Beta is estimated to arrive on September 24th. The beta request button will be included in the update.

The V10 update was well-received, with some reviewers showing their cars navigating through areas that it was previously unable to complete without driver intervention. Musk has said the next version will be another noticeable step in performance for the system. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Battouttahe77
Any Android users been able to get the app version 4.1 yet to check safety score? It's not showing up in the play store and I tried deleting and reinstalling like one person said they did and still got 4.0.2. I'd like to be able to see my score.

Any Android users been able to get the app version 4.1 yet to check safety score? It's not showing up in the play store and I tried deleting and reinstalling like one person said they did and still got 4.0.2. I'd like to be able to see my score.
I installed it per the video below.

Apparently, the new Tesla app is out on the Google play store but not available to everyone. Not sure how Google manages the servers and availability of apps.

I've seen several references to the 'apk mirror' and then this video popped up on my YT subscription list. I followed it to do the install. I then deleted the file and the app. I had to give it authority to do the 'side load' or whatever it is called.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neon001
I used APK Mirror and updated to 4.1 without issue FYI. I did have to give the APK Mirror app permission to install untrusted apps. I also heard you can search Google Play Store since 4.1 is a separate update that doesn't show up as an update to the Tesla app you already have installed.

Reactions: Neon001
I installed it per the video below.

Apparently, the new Tesla app is out on the Google play store but not available to everyone. Not sure how Google manages the servers and availability of apps.

I've seen several references to the 'apk mirror' and then this video popped up on my YT subscription list. I followed it to do the install. I then deleted the file and the app. I had to give it authority to do the 'side load' or whatever it is called.

Thanks, that worked. Looks like I've got a 98 right now, mostly thanks to my long, easy highway drive over the weekend. Red on follow distance (25%) though, which isn't surprising at all.

Do we have any other details on how it all works to qualify you? What score is needed? Are there a threshold number of miles it needs to collect to consider a score valid (as in, if I don't drive the rest of the week, I'll be all good)? What about folks that don't make the cut - can they keep trying to improve their score or are they forever blacklisted?

I imagine no one knows, but figured I'd ask just in case.

Reactions: scottf200
So far from my experience, full regen does not trigger hard braking at all. On autopilot or off.

Just stay completely off the brake pedal and you’ll be fine
No. These events were on the open road under Autopilot with no traffic. I didn't touch the brakes. I know where they were because the only braking events on Drive Safe & Save were on the map in essentially deserted roads where they approached a down and dropped the speed limit.

I never use the brake pedal anyway unless I have to stop going downhill.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Imprecise estimate from a drive last night:
At 60mph, TACC setting of 7 is roughly 4.5 seconds.
Tesla's website says that unsafe following is measured by 1 second or under.
This measurement is called headway. Unsafe following is the proportion of time where your vehicle’s headway is less than 1.0 seconds relative to the time that your vehicle’s headway is less than 3.0 seconds. Unsafe following is only measured when your vehicle is traveling at least 50 mph and is incorporated into the Safety Score formula as a percentage.

My problem is that I shoot for 2 seconds so there is hardly any less than 3.

Tesla's website says that unsafe following is measured by 1 second or under.
My problem is that I shoot for 2 seconds so there is hardly any less than 3.
Hmm ... is says a 'proportion of time' less than 1 relative to being less than 3 seconds ... so it really seems that 3 is the real 'safe' number. There are literally millions of site that indicated 3 is the appropriate number. This count is 14B -- 3 second following rule - Google Search

Quote: "proportion of time where your vehicle’s headway is less than 1.0 seconds relative to the time that your vehicle’s headway is less than 3.0 seconds."

• Informative
Reactions: Dan D.
Hmm ... is says a 'proportion of time' less than 1 relative to being less than 3 seconds ... so it really seems that 3 is the real 'safe' number. There are literally millions of site that indicated 3 is the appropriate number. This count is 14B -- 3 second following rule - Google Search

Quote: "proportion of time where your vehicle’s headway is less than 1.0 seconds relative to the time that your vehicle’s headway is less than 3.0 seconds."
3 seconds is the cutoff for the measurement. ~3.1 seconds or longer means following time isn't being measured. If you're following between 1.1 and 2.9 they're happy with that

If 3 seconds was the ideal there would be an increasing penalty the closer you get. As it is, just stay beyond 1.1 seconds and you'll be fine, stay between 1 and 3 seconds to improve your score, or beyond 3 seconds which does nothing good or bad.

I agree but, disagree on the good driver bit. They are going to need as many on beta as possible as the only way to teach the system is by allowing the good, bad and ugly to participate to make a "better" you. You don't want drivers with perfect scores as that's NOT the real world. The few thousand out there who had this option operating for a few years were the "perfect world" now it's time for the "regulars" to rip off the band aid.

I would love to do this- I drive alot- like a real estate agent but without the commission!- but I haven’t added the autopilot feature, when I picked up my X it was a 7$ upgrade. Now I think it’s 10$. Should have done it back then…..
if you can ever get enhanced autopilot take it as i bought mine with it and it's only lacking traffic lights and stop signs so I get from A to B real fast ;-)

I agree but, disagree on the good driver bit. They are going to need as many on beta as possible as the only way to teach the system is by allowing the good, bad and ugly to participate to make a "better" you. You don't want drivers with perfect scores as that's NOT the real world. The few thousand out there who had this option operating for a few years were the "perfect world" now it's time for the "regulars" to rip off the band aid.
I believe you're misunderstanding the role of the testers being added. The task is to test and evaluate the system, not train it.

This system is kind of flawed. I drove the past two days, now mind you I commute 100 miles round trip. 90% is on the freeway. once on the freeway I tap into FSD. Bay area driving with Bart off to the left of the vehicle which has red/green lights for the BART. If the Tesla detects the red light in its sensors it will abruptly break. going from 75MPH hard break down to 50 in seconds, all on FSD. traffic will be going smoothly, all of a sudden traffic will slow down and the Tesla will not detect the break lights sooooo what happens.....HARD BREAK all on FSD. First day score was at 68. Second day I was able to get my score up to 89. I would take over if BART was on my left or if I saw traffic slow down I would take over. So if this is supposed to score off FSD by far needs more work to hand over FSD BETA.

This system is kind of flawed. I drove the past two days, now mind you I commute 100 miles round trip. 90% is on the freeway. once on the freeway I tap into FSD. Bay area driving with Bart off to the left of the vehicle which has red/green lights for the BART. If the Tesla detects the red light in its sensors it will abruptly break. going from 75MPH hard break down to 50 in seconds, all on FSD. traffic will be going smoothly, all of a sudden traffic will slow down and the Tesla will not detect the break lights sooooo what happens.....HARD BREAK all on FSD. First day score was at 68. Second day I was able to get my score up to 89. I would take over if BART was on my left or if I saw traffic slow down I would take over. So if this is supposed to score off FSD by far needs more work to hand over FSD BETA.
You'll have to restrict your driving hours to off-Bart hours. If this doesn't work for you you'll be required to move to a NON-Bart state