Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla looking to recognize more FSD revenue for 2020 Q1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What features were in pre-March 2019 FSD list that Tesla removed at that point?

Pre-march 2019 FSD was essentially L4 or L5 driving. Not a specific, short, list of things the car would do and MAYBE someday do any of them better than level 2. It was a promise you could get into the car, need to DO NOTHING, and it'll entirely drive you to your destination on virtually any type of road, local or highway, clearly marked or not, then you get out and it goes and parks itself.

No supervision, no intervention, no "be ready to take over"

Pretty massive difference from the current promise.

W
I don't think anyone pre-March 2019 is getting anything different from what March 2019 onward will get (i.e. everyone is going forward with the new h/w platform and re-written FSD software). Are you thinking there is a "bait and switch" where what pre-March 2019 FSD purchasers thought they were getting is different than what post March 2019 purchasers are getting?

Yes, pretty clearly so too.

The product sold pre-march-2019 is VASTLY larger in scope and promises.

So I expect Tesla is gonna end up with 2 options:

1) They can deliver what they promised the post-3/19 folks (which doesn't require anything beyond L2 driving-so pretty much having NoA handle intersections and roundabouts WITH supervision and they're basically there), and that'll be most owners at that point, and they realize their HW is not capable of delivering on the pre-3/19 promises- so they just refund the pre-3/19 FSD buyers (possibly a less than full refund, but expect lawsuits if that happens- but even full it's "only" 3-4k depending when you bought so they can probably do that comfortably)

2) Pre 3/19 buyers get additional HW upgrades if they actually realize they CAN do that in a way that's remotely affordable and actually delivers what those folks were promised.... (and I suppose they could then sell THAT package as "Enhanced FSD" to current FSD owners).

There's a third option- Tesla somehow magically actually accomplishes L4/L5 driving with existing HW2.x sensors and HW3 driving computer... but I don't think anyone but the most optimistic Elon fans actually believe that's possible with current HW...(though I'm willing to reconsider if the AP 3D labeling re-write drastically improves things)[/QUOTE]