TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Loses Two Model S Executives Before Sedan Makes Debut

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by grisnjam, Jan 13, 2012.

1. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

#2 ckessel, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    You know, yesterday Elon tweets about "herding cats" and I thought "that's weird, must be something frustrating at work" and I damn near decided to sit on my money for a few days. Should have trusted that instinct. I feel somewhat ill. Losing the chief engineer and chassis engineer? Yea, kind of crucial elements in a car.

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

OK, without getting too excited.........

How much will the loss of Rawlinson and Sampson hurt Tesla and their future development?

4. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

He was. I just hope that he left for personal reasons, not because he didn't like choices that were made or something like that.

5. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I am very curious to know why they left. Tempting to put more money into it, but this time it is a disturbing development that caused the fall. hhmmm.

6. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

The fact it's two at once is what really bothers me. That can't be coincidence. People don't leave like that when things are going well.

7. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

I wonder if they were bought out by another car maker. The fact that Tesla's technology is so far ahead of other EVs, and that the Cheif Engineer and Chassis Engineer left at the same time. Would not be surprised to see them at Nissan or GM or maybe even Fisker in the near future. If that happens, we might see some lawsuits too.

Might just be about money.

8. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

There are some non-prof at teslas top. They don't want to know what the customers want/need - destroying potential. I still wonder why they finally made a type 2 mennekes charging cable - after more then one year i was waiting for it.

9. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

They were destroying the value of their options.

10. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Found this on the official tesla forums, but no link.

PETER RAWLINSON AND NICK SAMPSON LEAVE TESLA! | Forums | Tesla Motors

11. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

12. agileone

agileone CDN P#40

From Forbes

A Tesla spokesman told Reuters that “having completed conceptual and design engineering work on Model S, Peter has decided to step away to tend to personal matters in the U.K.” Sampson, Tesla added, had “fully transitioned” off the Model S at the time of his departure.

The company said Jerome Guillen, formerly an engineer with Daimler AG, will assume Rawlinson’s duties. Former Volkswagen executive Eric Bach will take over for Sampson.

TSLA in the regular session fell $5.46, or 19.3%, to $22.79; the stock has recovered a bit after hours, rebounding $1.33, or 5.8%, to $24.12.

13. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

this is article on bloomberg

14. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I heard the rumor that Rawlinson was out this morning. Looks like it's true. Odd to leave before launch. Looks bad regardless of the reasons.

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

#16 Doug_G, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    It may not have actually been simultaneous, and could be completely uncorrelated. Announcing them together gets the bad news out of the way in one go.

Personal reasons are entirely possible. I'm not sure how old Peter Rawlingson is, but he's obviously not a youngster and may be wanting to slow down. From all accounts it's a highly caffeinated environment at Tesla.

In terms of timing, this is probably the best time to go if he wanted to bow out. You don't leave a company in the lurch by exiting in the middle of a major project. The vast bulk of the Model S engineering is complete; right now they're polishing the details and doing the production transition. Probably the major design elements of Model X have also been completed.

16. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

According to the article, one of the execs left for personal reasons, the other unknown. Both did proper handing off of work before leaving, and worthy replacements (from Daimler and Volkswagen) have already been found.

As for the stock price, that's likely just an over-reaction, like Mycroft said.

It'll definite rebound after the Model X event in February.

17. dnarva14

dnarva14 Member

18. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

#19 JRod0802, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  19. 1young1

1young1 Model S #P5673