Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla loses U.S. designation for some advanced safety features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been looking at message threads like this one on this forum for the last few days and I couldn't help, but to say the following. Nothing is being taking away from us permanently, all the "missing" features will be returned soon. As for NHTSA, they will test "Tesla Vision" and conclude it's just as good if not better than what was there before. Also, Tesla is not the only car maker making this move (Honda is doing the same thing and I am hopeful others will follow).

My concern is that this move is premature. Removing the radar was clearly accelerated by the parts supply issue. I have no doubt Tesla will figure out a way to get back the NHTSA rating and bring back the features they advertise. It is not clear how long this would take. My current EDD Is May 30, so I am considering to put the order on hold and wait until September to see if they figure this out by then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darblish
I have been looking at message threads like this one on this forum for the last few days and I couldn't help, but to say the following. Nothing is being taking away from us permanently, all the "missing" features will be returned soon. As for NHTSA, they will test "Tesla Vision" and conclude it's just as good if not better than what was there before. Also, Tesla is not the only car maker making this move (Honda is doing the same thing and I am hopeful others will follow).
NHTSA doesn’t test for the “checkboxes” on those safety features. For them to switch from “standard” to “no,” Tesla would have been the ones to tell NHTSA to make the change. Tesla will also be the ones to tell them to change it back.

You’re correct that Honda also changed to all-vision (and I think a single forward camera?). They didn’t disable extremely-common safety features when they did, though.