Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla lost my check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hang them the preapproval check from my bank and took delivery on the 20th. Today they call me and said they may lost my check. Does anyone of you had a situation like this? What do I have to do? And what kind of options do I have if I need to ask my bank for another check(return the car, ask for an upgrade, etc.....) they said they will call me again if they cannot find it. So I want to know what I can ask at the time they call again.

Please let me know if I post on a wrong section.

I hang them the preapproval check from my bank and took delivery on the 20th. Today they call me and said they may lost my check. Does anyone of you had a situation like this? What do I have to do? And what kind of options do I have if I need to ask my bank for another check(return the car, ask for an upgrade, etc.....) they said they will call me again if they cannot find it. So I want to know what I can ask at the time they call again.

If they call you then you go to the bank and ask the bank to cancel the old check (in case they find it while you send them a new check) and ask the bank for a new check

Free car for sure. Kinda like when an item doesn’t scan the first time at the store and is therefore free.

either that or the stop check fee credited back.

First thing would be to check with the bank if it cleared. If so, provide a copy of the cancelled check.

Reactions: mluu510
This reminds me of threads on another forum where the dealer would call back that loan fell thru and they want the car back.. Except it's Tesla and they're not into dealer shenanigans

You guys should read the first post carefully and stop being so quick with the asshole responses. It's also pretty clear that English is not the OP's first language. As someone who doesn't speak English as my first language, you should take care not to interpret a nuance to what the OP is saying, which never existed in the first place.

It's a loan check from his lender. You can't just log on to online banking and cancel it.

@chuhouse2003 - you will have to call your lender and have them reissue the disbursement check. Better yet, give the finance manager at the Tesla store (assume the person who called you) the contact info of your loan representative and have them work together directly to handle it.

Reading the first line again, you are probably correct that a "preapproval check" was a loan check. And yes, the correct thing to do if that is the case is to put Tesla in contact w/ the bank. The would like to stop payment and reissue the check. Perhaps charging Tesla for the fees.

It could also be a cashiers check or any other instrument.

But, why oh why is the OP asking for free stuff because Tesla lost the check? The Nissan dealer I purchased our Leaf from lost the title - took them 6 months to get it figured out. Stuff happens. Yes, It would be a nice gesture if they would give out a $10 Starbucks card.

It's unacceptable for a business to lose a customer bank check in a situation like this - they should offer him something for the time and hassle. If only out of embarrassment. It's a lot of money and very unprofessional. Some service credits or something.

I don't know what he means by "upgrade". It seems he was thinking he might have to return the car and start over. Under that line of thinking, an upgraded set of wheels or something is totally within reason. That said, as we all know, it will not come to that as the lender can definitely reissue the payment check.

hello,
How did tesla handle this situation? I am in the same situation, but a bit more complicated. My check was lost in transit. Check was stolen and cashed out. Tesla is not taking any responsibility and will not release my car’s title until they get paid, but they did. 🤦🏽‍♂️

hello,
How did tesla handle this situation? I am in the same situation, but a bit more complicated. My check was lost in transit. Check was stolen and cashed out. Tesla is not taking any responsibility and will not release my car’s title until they get paid, but they did. 🤦🏽‍♂️

Your situation does not appear to be similar to the OPs. There is a very large difference in handing someone a check (Op says 'I handed them the pre approved check") and "my check was lost in the mail and cashed by someone.

Surely your check was not mailed to tesla via regular mail and was sent via some trackable method, right? Start there, and with proof from your financial institution of the signature.

Reactions: vickh