Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Lowers Price of Model 3 (and others) after New Year to "absorb" tax credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was surprised I didn't see anything here, but I noticed the prices on Tesla.com are all down. Surprised there wasn't a thread, but please point me in the right direction as this is a fairly wide topic.

Every Tesla Just Got $2,000 CHeaper

I expected this to happen, and I worry Tesla moved so many vehicles because of this compelling moment, they'll have a hard time finding enough demand in 2019 to keep their production volumes up to what they're now capable of. I factored this into my purchase, but I do worry that over time they'll keep slashing prices to keep them moving, hurting resale and somewhat negatively impacting earlier adopters. I know this happened before with PUP and exists in the whole car market, but Tesla doesn't really have an MSRP and tweeks pricing regularly so they can get away with this more. Traditional car makers just run rebates but hold the actual sticker price the same.

There will be another push on June 30th, then possibly a subsequent price reduction again, and then another on Jan 2020, one day the tax credit may not have really been worth anything, who knows...

Cheers

Did you not really notice the massive price drop of the stock on this news? Much ado about nothing. There has been a lot of price movement in the last year. When I ordered my car in June, I paid $1000 for red paint and I got free lifetime connectivity. Today that same paint costs $2500 and connectivity is I think $100/year. Those are just two examples.

Besides, if Tesla were an ICE dealership, you'd never know how much a car really cost.

• Funny
Reactions: DB-Cooper
Did you not really notice the massive price drop of the stock on this news? Much ado about nothing. There has been a lot of price movement in the last year. When I ordered my car in June, I paid $1000 for red paint and I got free lifetime connectivity. Today that same paint costs $2500 and connectivity is I think $100/year. Those are just two examples.

Besides, if Tesla were an ICE dealership, you'd never know how much a car really cost.

Raising prices doesn’t have the same effect on current owners as lowering. I figured this would happen, and I understand it, but to make such a huge marketing push and then immediately lower the price leaves a funny taste, that’s all, it happens all the time.

Thanks!!!
Don’t see why it hurts owner as we all got 7500 federally cut. Plus model 3 is expanding internationally so price stock should rise.

Effectively a new car now costs $2k less so resale is basically affected negatively. Had they not lowered the price, in 2-3 years, when the rebates are long gone, a car that costs more in the market tends to cost more used. Similarly, cars that sell at or above sticker have higher residual values than cars that are routinely sold with huge discounts. It’s just economics, regardless of the rebate, the value of the car was just reduced by $2k. It happens all the time, but the $7500 rebate is from the government, not Tesla so comparing them is almost irrelevant. I’m not surprised, and I suspect they will continue dropping prices to keep moving the cars. Tesla is relying on the fact that people will think $3750 is better than $2000, but that logic in my opinion is flawed.

Thanks!!!

Effectively a new car now costs $2k less so resale is basically affected negatively. Had they not lowered the price, in 2-3 years, when the rebates are long gone, a car that costs more in the market tends to cost more used. Similarly, cars that sell at or above sticker have higher residual values than cars that are routinely sold with huge discounts. It’s just economics, regardless of the rebate, the value of the car was just reduced by $2k. It happens all the time, but the $7500 rebate is from the government, not Tesla so comparing them is almost irrelevant. I’m not surprised, and I suspect they will continue dropping prices to keep moving the cars. Tesla is relying on the fact that people will think $3750 is better than $2000, but that logic in my opinion is flawed.
If you’re concerned about resale then you’ve made a huge mistake. Look at what early Model S performance models are selling for (EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings). Someone who bought in December is still better off than someone who bought in January or am I missing something? They paid less for the same car.