Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla LTE Connection is Unusable.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I learned early on that the beautiful 17" Touchscreen's internet connection is a joke. Even with 2 or 3 bars, and even connected to wi-fi, the speed when surfing the net is an absolute joke. Has anybody ever had success with this? It's like a throwback to using dial-up.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think the slowness has much to do with the connection speed. I think the browser and the 17" display hardware are both just slow.

Reactions: wesley888
IMG_0978.JPG
This is the max speed I got from the web browser while my car was connected to my 1000 Mbps network

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and deonb
View attachment 210346 This is the max speed I got from the web browser while my car was connected to my 1000 Mbps network
I think the web browser is so slow/CPU intesitve that it affects the speed test.

Using fast.com, I get 3Mbps over LTE with the browser open 1/2 screen, but less than 2Mbps when it's full screen.

Also, if I switch to the music screen right after starting the speed test, then switch back after the test is done, it shows 6Mbps.

I learned early on that the beautiful 17" Touchscreen's internet connection is a joke. Even with 2 or 3 bars, and even connected to wi-fi, the speed when surfing the net is an absolute joke. Has anybody ever had success with this? It's like a throwback to using dial-up.

You forget that Tesla is paying for this connection, not you. It satisfies the needs of the car as it is. A faster connection and everyone would be abusing it and Tesla would have to start charging you just like the new Supercharger plan.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
You forget that Tesla is paying for this connection, not you. It satisfies the needs of the car as it is. A faster connection and everyone would be abusing it and Tesla would have to start charging you just like the new Supercharger plan.
In that quote, @KBurbridge14 specifically mentioned wifi speeds. Like @KBurbridge14, I'm seeing slow speeds when I'm on wifi (that I'm paying for). Why should our wifi bandwidth be throttled? In my experience so far, my LTE connection has scored higher speeds than when I'm connected via wifi.

Hi there.. There are actually 2 bottle necks here.. :) One is the browser that is damn damn slow, and another one is Proxy servers that are used by tesla.. For exmpl, i live in Vienna (Austria).. When i connect over my WiFi i am getting speed of up to 5 - 8 Mbit/s on and of course i see my Austrian IP.. When i connect to the Internet over SIM in car, i am measuring max of 2,5 Mbit/s and i am connected over KPN IP (Netherlands).. So, it is cool that LTE connection has been established between the car and mobile operator here (T-Mobile in Austria) but as for surfing speeds you can forget it!

That brings me to the question.. Is it possible to to make some kind of request and change the SIM card in the car with your own or simply use an AP in car and then gain full access to Internet (Youtube and other video sharing sites)..

Thank you..