Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla LTE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to Tesla and some questions about Tesla internet that comes with Model X ...

Is that lifetime free? Is that LTE? Is there roaming charge if the car is driven out of country (like Canada?)? Is that fast? Can it be used as a hotspot?

As explained to me by my SC walk through, Tesla provides LTE for four years. The earliest model S is just hitting four years so we'll see if there's a fee associated with connectivity. No roaming charge because Tesla is footing the bill so far. LTE speeds are fast enough for music streaming (with some initial song buffering) and navigation. It can't be used as a hotspot.

Also at walk through I was told they didn't allow us to replace the AT&T SIM with our own SIM, which would be a problem if they decide to require a cost for the service in the future.

AT&T is much slower that T-Mobile in most places nationally, but I understand AT&T pretty much gives away the service so I can understand why TM uses them (for now).

Also at walk through I was told they didn't allow us to replace the AT&T SIM with our own SIM, which would be a problem if they decide to require a cost for the service in the future.

AT&T is much slower that T-Mobile in most places nationally, but I understand AT&T pretty much gives away the service so I can understand why TM uses them (for now).

Supporting evidence please

There are 2 basic issues here: available bandwidth and geographical signal coverage.

AT&T has better signal coverage within the United States, because they own a lot of sub-1 GHz licenses. Low frequency signals typically have better range and resistance to degradation from obstacles than high frequency signals.

T-Mobile LTE primarily runs on Band 4 (AWS), which is 1700 MHz up and 2100 MHz down. Bandwidth and latency are typically very good for this kind of midrange spectrum, but range is only mediocre. T-Mobile needs a lot more towers per unit area than AT&T to cover the same ground. The advantage is that T-Mobile has a ton more available bandwidth where they do have coverage (assuming adequate backhaul connecting the tower to the Internet). T-Mobile also has a number of Band 2 LTE deployments (1900 MHz) and an increasing number of Band 12 (700 MHz) areas. Band 12 is what is allowing better coverage, but the available bandwidth is not as high as Band 4.

AT&T was Tesla's only logical choice back in 2012, because they had the best coverage nationwide on a GSM 3G network (most of the world uses GSM). Verizon has arguably better coverage, but at the time still heavily reliant on CDMA derived 3G, which was only common in the U.S. and Japan. Sprint and T-Mobile did not have enough coverage back then to be realistic contenders.

With everyone moving to LTE, perhaps at some point Tesla will offer a choice of service providers, but for now, I think they will stay with AT&T to keep things simple.

Totally agree, and this seems a highly likely thought process for 2012. Looking ahead to a possible future where TM charges for mobile access, it would also make sense to allow customers to select a provider-of-choice. And I wouldn't pay for the current quality of connection I get, browsing is so slow as to be useless.

• Informative
Reactions: Imafrog

Really, I thought it was the opposite. I use Verizon thought it is fine in my area. I used all 3 ATT, Verizon and T-Mobile. So far Verizon and ATT seem to be very similar but Verizon is slightly faster.

All I know is that the Internet browser app is useless in my Model X. Websites either take forever to load or never load at all. It's a complete joke, even when the LTE shows all bars of coverage. It affects the dynamic Google maps too, as sometimes by the time they're done loading I've already driven off the displayed section of map!

Put your phone into hotspot mode?

All I know is that the Internet browser app is useless in my Model X. Websites either take forever to load or never load at all. It's a complete joke, even when the LTE shows all bars of coverage. It affects the dynamic Google maps too, as sometimes by the time they're done loading I've already driven off the displayed section of map!

Probably a location specific problem. Working fine in Naples, FL area with ESPN loading pretty quickly in an area that often is dicey. Of course, most of snowbirds/tourists are gone so perhaps a contributing factor.

As explained to me by my SC walk through, Tesla provides LTE for four years. The earliest model S is just hitting four years so we'll see if there's a fee associated with connectivity. No roaming charge because Tesla is footing the bill so far. LTE speeds are fast enough for music streaming (with some initial song buffering) and navigation. It can't be used as a hotspot.
I thought some time in 2014 else n musk said Tesla will give 4 yrs free for all cars from that point in time. Overriding the basic 4yr coverage that come with the cars. I believe it was to show appreciation for Tesla's success thus far. I'm on mobile so i can't really add a source but I will later.

Edit: the free Internet for 4 years was announced in Jan 2014 according to an owner. Still trying to find a source.

Edit 2: found this link

Tesla announces free data connectivity and Internet radio for four years :) | Tesla Motors

Seems like it written in 2013 Q4 earnings report.

So we won't know until the end of 2018 or at least middle of 2018 what kinda connectivity Tesla will offer free of charge if at all.

At least on model 3 forum, people are speculating that model 3 will come with basic connection for gps and ota downloads. Kinda irrelevant but thought I would throw it out there anyways.

Last edited:
or lack of processing power/software optimization in the center tablet display.

It's the lack of processing power or insufficient ram. They are using an ancient version of webkit, but that wouldn't affect the sluggishness. They can upgrade the system for a paltry sum, but they have a disincentive to do so. Web browsing is not an essential part of the car and they're probably paying for the bandwidth.

• Informative
Reactions: Roentgen
I know they said 4 years of free internet coverage included, but I imagine they are reevaluating since releasing autopilot. The autopilot system sends 10KB of data up to the cloud for every mile that you drive, so it's in everyone's best interest that every single car has a data connection.

My guess is that there will always be a free connection for at least autopilot, software updates and the basic (non satellite) google maps and traffic data. Maybe they'll offer a paid version at some point that would enable internet radio, the web browser and the satellite view on the google maps.

I'm a little surprised about the complaints about the browser. When I did my test drive in an S the browser was fine. In fact, I brought up my webmail in one tab, opened an email, then opened a pdf attachment. t all worked great. The Tesla store was in Rockville, MD.

I do have a couple of questions:

if you open multiple tabs does the browser remember them when you get into the car the next time?

Has anyone tried bringing up the Apple calendar?

Is the signal strength of the LTE the same as on an AT&T phone when in the car?

Does the browser play flash?

Can you download and install Chrome extensions?

Has anyone tried playing a streaming video from any site? Like ESPN or MLB?

Can you have the browser as the top or bottom half of the screen?

There are so many intriguing possibilities; it would be a total shame to waste it in such an otherwise advanced car. My X is apparently in its second week of production, so hopefully I'll find out for myself soon. I've been looking forward to the browser app so I really hope I won't be disappointed the way some others seem to be.