Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla M3 Cabin Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi

I am going to take the delivery of a new Model 3 this week. It is the long range single motor. I have heard that the Model 3 has significant cabin / wind noise issue on highway. Just wanted to confirm if that is the case.

Regards
S

hi

I am going to take the delivery of a new Model 3 this week. It is the long range single motor. I have heard that the Model 3 has significant cabin / wind noise issue on highway. Just wanted to confirm if that is the case.

Regards
S

That is not the case with my dual motor car. It is, of course, louder than when it's stationary, but that's to be expected.

Unsure of the source:
S5pPHNs_0PzChLzSX5hBcJHvqUCUGE0EFf42Zj-udfo.png

I don't find the wind or road noise excessive. It is just more pronounced since there is no engine or exhaust note to drown it out.
I really don't think that's the case. The engine in my previous ICE car wasn't really audible while cruising on the highway. The insulation between the wheels and the car body just isn't up to par for this price class IMO. I have also done a test drive in the Audi E-tron last week and it is MUCH quieter even though being an EV. This is something that Tesla needs to work on.

That said, it isn't unbearable or anything and shouldn't deter people from an otherwise great car.

I really don't think that's the case. The engine in my previous ICE car wasn't really audible while cruising on the highway. The insulation between the wheels and the car body just isn't up to par for this price class IMO. I have also done a test drive in the Audi E-tron last week and it is MUCH quieter even though being an EV. This is something that Tesla needs to work on.

That said, it isn't unbearable or anything and shouldn't deter people from an otherwise great car.

Yeah, I guess it is just what you are used to. Some manufacturers invest a lot more money on insulating the doors, wheel wells, etc. All the vehicles I have owned with performance tires, run-flats, etc. tend to be noisy on the highway.

If you read 20 posts about it on these forums, then assume that it isn't a problem. People often come to a forum to complain, very few come to praise.
Is it perfectly quite, no, the car isn't built to be perfectly quiet like so many old fart cars. It's pretty quiet. Actually there's a number of folks who propose that the reason why it sounds louder is that you don't have an engine to drown it out!

• Informative
Reactions: cfichuck
I bought 2 rolls each of the "P-shaped" and "Z-shaped" seals and installed them the other day, including cutting out the 2 @ ~1" areas under each door's water drains at the bottom of each door. I didn't bother to actually try to measure the sound difference, but I do hear a difference in road noise, particularly on textured pavement.

Well worth the $30-40 investment and 30-minute installation time, IMO

• Informative
Reactions: Arpe
I would be willing to bet tesla was trying to save weight. You can do thick glass and more sound deading but it all comes at a weight cost (and monetary cost of course too) You could do something like dynamat the vehicle and add the seals. To mat the whole car you would be looking at about ~60lbs of material.

Reactions: rickdogg82
I did a long roadtrip in a 2011 Sonata and never thought it was too noisy. Okay, I've never owned a 'luxury' vehicle. The one prior to that was a Lexus ES. But even after moving to the Sonata, while the ride was not as smooth, noise was not a concern. Riding in the Model 3, noise-wise it was fine. After reading about it online, seeing everyone moan about excessive wind noise and tire noise for a car this 'expensive,' yes, subjectively it did sound loud on the freeway. After six weeks at one point, I drove the Sonata again to keep the oil going, it was assuredly louder than the Model 3 on the freeway. So, if you think about it too much, then yes it's going to sound bad no matter what because you're looking for it. You're paying more money for an entirely different class of vehicle. One day maybe Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack will have a compatible tire for Tesla vehicles.

Reactions: Bblsttx and GoCartz