Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla M3 completely disabled with 'Vehicle shutting down' and 'Rear motor temporarily disabled'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My tesla M3 is just 8800 miles, took delivery in Sep 2021. Few days back I was backed my car on to road and as I started driving, it jerked and stopped with tons of warning "Vehicle shutting down', 'Power reduced - Read motor temporarily disabled' and tons of other things disabled. It also mentioned getting in and out of car may fix it. I did that few times and reboots etc. but no success. It would go forward a little bit but them would stall with same messages. But eventually it worked. I was able to use it for new 2 days. And now today, I was just trying to change from park to R and it happened all over again (thankfully it is in my garage and not on road like last time). I tried reboots and many other work arounds mentioned online but nothing helped. I booked service appointment when I it first happened and its on July 6. I am trying to reach out to service department for last 30 mins and on hold.

Extremely disappointed at such a poor quality on 60k car and poor customer service to reach them. I hope Tesla tows car tomorrow and get it fixed ASAP.

My tesla M3 is just 8800 miles, took delivery in Sep 2021. Few days back I was backed my car on to road and as I started driving, it jerked and stopped with tons of warning "Vehicle shutting down', 'Power reduced - Read motor temporarily disabled' and tons of other things disabled. It also mentioned getting in and out of car may fix it. I did that few times and reboots etc. but no success. It would go forward a little bit but them would stall with same messages. But eventually it worked. I was able to use it for new 2 days. And now today, I was just trying to change from park to R and it happened all over again (thankfully it is in my garage and not on road like last time). I tried reboots and many other work arounds mentioned online but nothing helped. I booked service appointment when I it first happened and its on July 6. I am trying to reach out to service department for last 30 mins and on hold.

Extremely disappointed at such a poor quality on 60k car and poor customer service to reach them. I hope Tesla tows car tomorrow and get it fixed ASAP.
Has there been a resolution to this?

My 3 month Tesla Model 3 LR broke down yesterday showing me a message "rear motor temporarily disabled". Car stopped suddenly even without allowing me to park the car to the side. This happened on Saturday and I was planning my long awaited road trip to France but Tesla service won't even tell me if I will have a loaner car. Not sure what my options are or is this something Tesla can fix within a day.

Reactions: zoomer0056
My 3 month Tesla Model 3 LR broke down yesterday showing me a message "rear motor temporarily disabled". Car stopped suddenly even without allowing me to park the car to the side. This happened on Saturday and I was planning my long awaited road trip to France but Tesla service won't even tell me if I will have a loaner car. Not sure what my options are or is this something Tesla can fix within a day.
Same happened to my 2022 MS Pull Over Safely MSLR built Feb 2022 . I will pick it up on Tuesday after 12 days in the service center. Nothing difinitive was fixed. Over the 12 days the procedure was to check low voltage connections and drive it. They did rent a loaner Mercedes for me.

My rear motor failed with just 850 miles on the car. Message warning toggled between "rear motor disabled - power reduced, avoid steep inclines. If issue persists, contact Tesla Service" and "speed limited to 37mph." I called Tesla service immediately, as both the 37mph and the steep inclines were unavoidable in order to get home. They had me drive the car (keeping under 37mph) to a place that was closer to the Tesla Service Center near my house than it was to the Tesla Service Center closest to me when I called. Apparently Tesla's Roadside Service team can't direct the car to be towed to a location further than the closest service center. I had no problems driving the car the 5 miles it took to get past the line that allowed them to tow the car to my local service center. The repair is presently underway, and the diagnosis they shared I that a faulty seal in the cooling system allowed coolant to leak into the rear inverter, and so the rear inverter must be replaced (major repair / 1 week timeframe). I'll update if that changes.

I have not read anything in this forum where someone said a motor failed but that car could still be driven.
I am a new M3 owner with less than 500 miles on it. My issue is the front motor disables. It does allow me to drive with only the rear motor, so it based on what I have read on this forum of these issues, the rear motor might be required whereas the front motor can fail and the car still be driveable.