Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla M3 passenger door check strap making popping noises when closing and opening.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I have a 2021 model 3 SR+ and I've noticed the passenger door makes these clicking/popping noises when I open and close door (I know it's the check straps) BUT my main question. Is it covered under the manufacture warranty? I've tried to call my local SC but the guy that worked there literally told me "I don't really know". I've also heard that the Sacramento SCs are kind of bad. Anything suggestion will help a lot! Thanks in advance.

Yes, its covered. Sadly Tesla has done nothing since the issues started in 2018/2019 on early model year 2017/2018 cars... no redesign of the part or change of materials to prevent it from happening again.

The SC or MS tech will replace one or both sides for you (even if just one failed enough to start clicking/ratcheting), and you will likely have the same issue in another year or two and on and on.

NB - the check-straps from the Model Ys are slightly different and do not fit the 3, but they are also no better. Same design flaw.

Yes, its covered. Sadly Tesla has done nothing since the issues started in 2018/2019 on early model year 2017/2018 cars... no redesign of the part or change of materials to prevent it from happening again.

The SC or MS tech will replace one or both sides for you (even if just one failed enough to start clicking/ratcheting), and you will likely have the same issue in another year or two and on and on.

NB - the check-straps from the Model Ys are slightly different and do not fit the 3, but they are also no better. Same design flaw.
Thank you so much for the fast response! That helped a lot :)

The exact same problem has surfaced in my 21 Model 3 SR+. Has been getting progressively worse over the last few months so just put in a service request. It’s interesting this is the exact same problem and noise that I had on my ‘93 Chrysler Intrepid front doors with the door checks. They redesigned those though and the problem eventually got fixed.

The exact same problem has surfaced in my 21 Model 3 SR+. Has been getting progressively worse over the last few months so just put in a service request. It’s interesting this is the exact same problem and noise that I had on my ‘93 Chrysler Intrepid front doors with the door checks. They redesigned those though and the problem eventually got fixed
UPDATE: they fixed mine for free under warranty when I brought the car there. They told me it took 3 days and gave me $100 uber credit for my ride home. Literally 3 hours later, they called me saying everything was done. Good experience :)

Reactions: gforce2002
Its an easy (albeit tedious and a bit annoying) replacement. Problem is the noise will come back, the new silent parts will fail within months-years over and over again, relative use.
Can you point to the procedure? I could dig up my manual or poke on YouTube but …lazy.

Also do you know what the design flaw is and can the check straps be rehabilitated or serviced in any way to stop the noise?

If left as is, is there any issue? Will they work without failing years down the road unexpectedly? (Obviously not caring about the noise.)

I don''t have it handy and youtube does not do it justice - in fact, there is no video posted that details the replacement itself. You can find the step by step procedure on the Tesla factory service site.

The issue has to do with the materials used in the strap, and the construction. If it was all metal, would be fall less prone to failure.

And yes, even with the noise, it will continue to work for years and may never fully fail. The actual hinges do the bulk of the work, with the door check only preventing opening the door too widely and damaging the door/fender.

I just had my driver's door check strap replaced. Now I notice that the other 3 doors are also making similar sound (not as bad as the driver's was). Funny thing is I think the doors have been like this since delivery. How common is this issue?

I just had my driver's door check strap replaced. Now I notice that the other 3 doors are also making similar sound (not as bad as the driver's was). Funny thing is I think the doors have been like this since delivery. How common is this issue?
I haven't heard about this issue before, and haven't experienced it on my car. My Model 3 was made in March of 2018 and I've driven it over 140,000 miles.

2019 M3, I replaced both front door straps under warranty at 40.000km / 25000miles, now you cannot hear them at all. Rear doors you hear them a little but I don't use them as much.

Before replacement my wife didn't hear them at all but unfortunately as ex mechanic you hear everything.

Easy to solve (remove door panel+speaker) and I also have seen the straps on AliExpress so I think that means they go bad very often.

Ours has done that from day one on the driver side rear. When we had the speaker replaced (shorting) I asked about it and the service advisor wrote it down. He said it’s a common issue and the part is backordered. That was months ago haven't heard back….actually forgot about it till this thread! So…put it on the app and at least document it.