Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla M3P 2020 - Spacers = Vibrations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All - so I put Bloxsport 15mm on the front and 20mm on the rear of my M3P. Running the 20 inch performance wheels. took the wheels to get balanced unrelated to this so all is good there. however when I cross about over 60mph I notice vibrations thru the steering wheel. gets worse as I speed up and its not lane departure related. before I go crazy taking spacers off and trying new ones etc. does it make sense that spacers could cause vibrations in the wheel? since they are hub centric I thought not. I did see some random post saying spacer vibration is normal but doesn't seem right to me and if that's the case I want them off.

looking for any insight/experiences. if I can't track down an answer I will just have to test it with them off. someone also suggested getting the car aligned but want to rule this out before I spend that money to get no where.

thanks!

Don’t use spacers. Problem solved. You’ve effectively changed the front suspension design.

Buy a Civic if you want to do stuff like that.
Hi All - so I put Bloxsport 15mm on the front and 20mm on the rear of my M3P. Running the 20 inch performance wheels. took the wheels to get balanced unrelated to this so all is good there. however when I cross about over 60mph I notice vibrations thru the steering wheel. gets worse as I speed up and its not lane departure related. before I go crazy taking spacers off and trying new ones etc. does it make sense that spacers could cause vibrations in the wheel? since they are hub centric I thought not. I did see some random post saying spacer vibration is normal but doesn't seem right to me and if that's the case I want them off.

looking for any insight/experiences. if I can't track down an answer I will just have to test it with them off. someone also suggested getting the car aligned but want to rule this out before I spend that money to get no where.

thanks!
I have 15mm and 18mm Bloxsport and the fit and finish were impeccable. Makes the M3 look much better pushing those wheels out slightly so the fenders aren’t protruding a full inch beyond the edge of the wheels. You aren’t harming suspension in any way, shape or form with proper width spacers. I’d say 25mm is the absolute max you’d ever go. Consider returning for 15mm front and 18mm rears if they’ll do that. Spacers are commonplace on sporty cars and SUVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 15mm and 18mm Bloxsport and the fit and finish were impeccable. Makes the M3 look much better pushing those wheels out slightly so the fenders aren’t protruding a full inch beyond the edge of the wheels. You aren’t harming suspension in any way, shape or form with proper width spacers. I’d say 25mm is the absolute max you’d ever go. Consider returning for 15mm front and 18mm rears if they’ll do that. Spacers are commonplace on sporty cars and SUVs. Just ignore the lady that told you to buy a Civic, jeez…. What a helpful gal she was trying to be, eh?

appreciate the info. funny enough before i noticed the vibrations i ordered 25mm for the rear (they could use a little more of a better fit) so was going to test the 20mm i had on the rear in the front. feels like i just need to take them off the front to see if they are actually the issue.

also read some posts about how it is possible to get bad spacers just like a bad batch that maybe have a defect.

Some people just blindly slap the spacers on without even checking to see if they fit. Did you check?

yeah they fit perfectly. felt snug putting them on. also i installed them myself so i torqued them but also took them to a shop that does a lot of tesla work and they double checked the spacers/torque when they did some other wheel work for me.

I would check if wheels are in fact balanced correctly.
No issues with blox spacers on two M3s.
had the wheels balanced twice just to double check it. thinking it might just be a bad pair of spacers. mentioned it in another reply but did see a post saying they needed to replace their spacers. i just got 25 to replace the 20 in the rear. going to move the 20 up to the front and put 25 in the rear and see if that does the trick.

When you take the wheels off, do you have any stud marks on the pockets on the back of the wheels? Some have mentioned varying pocket depths on their wheels so the studs hit the wheel and keep it from seating fully (causing the vibrations you mentioned).

When you take the wheels off, do you have any stud marks on the pockets on the back of the wheels? Some have mentioned varying pocket depths on their wheels so the studs hit the wheel and keep it from seating fully (causing the vibrations you mentioned).

I am doing some work on the car tomorrow to take the wheels off. will add this to my checklist. main check is just pulling off the spacers up front going for a drive.

car is also slightly pulling to the right a buddy mentioned an alignment could help.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Took it to a shop. Two bent rims :) how special. Just my luck! Second time dealing with bent rims in like 3 months. Love those NJ roads.

Sadly, Tesla chose inexpensive and soft lowest-bidder wheels when shopping for 20" TM3P wheels.
Since roads in NJ are unlikely to improve any time some, you may want to consider going shopping for another set of wheels. Anything forged will be more expensive, but lighter and bulletproof.

Good luck!

Sadly, Tesla chose inexpensive and soft lowest-bidder wheels when shopping for 20" TM3P wheels.
Since roads in NJ are unlikely to improve any time some, you may want to consider going shopping for another set of wheels. Anything forged will be more expensive, but lighter and bulletproof.

Good luck!
good bit of info there. thank you. didn't realize their wheel quality sucks. may look into forged.

did the new 2021/22 Uberturbine wheels get any better?

You going to be racing? Do t bother with forged unless you've got money to burn or a specific application for them that you need. Flow formed is the way to go nowadays. Lighter, cheaper...
Konig, Aodhan, Forgestar, just to name a few.

You going to be racing? Do t bother with forged unless you've got money to burn or a specific application for them that you need. Flow formed is the way to go nowadays. Lighter, cheaper...
Konig, Aodhan, Forgestar, just to name a few.
no racing - would just like to upgrade to something that isn't going to bend all the time. blew out two tires and got two bends which made sense pot hole was huge but this round I can't explain how I landed with 2 bends and not even remember hitting anything and tires not going flat.

I will take a look at flow formed. appreciate the tip