Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla M3P 2020 - Spacers = Vibrations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly, Tesla chose inexpensive and soft lowest-bidder wheels when shopping for 20" TM3P wheels.
Since roads in NJ are unlikely to improve any time some, you may want to consider going shopping for another set of wheels. Anything forged will be more expensive, but lighter and bulletproof.

Good luck!
the saga continues! so i had a wheel warranty. bought my tesla at a porsche dealership so they did the repair on the wheels and put the two used to be bent rims in the rear. guy said he test drove it and seemed good to him. i pick up the car and it feels better but still something there. so without any other options i drop it at Tesla and tell them to drive it up to 80mph to feel what i feel. get it back the SAME day - they tell me alignment is good, internals look good and that the tech couldnt replicate the vibration? baffles me. so now i think im crazy - had a buddy drive it and he agrees. last thing i can think of is the spacers so removing them tomorrow but honestly that makes no sense. if somehow the spacers come off and it was the spacers yet i also had bent rims etc i will lose my mind.

really shocked by tesla saying they didnt notice anything and honestly shocked alignment was ok. taking spacers off tomorrow so that if that doesnt fix it i can call them back on Monday. what a nightmare.

I am approaching 200k miles on wheels centered on the lugs, about 50k of which have been on various spacers. For me, spacers have never been an issue. In fact, every time I have experienced spontaneous vibrations it has simply been from loosing a wheel weight.

Unfortunately, you probably just need your wheels/tires balanced again :( .

Also… pretty provocative thread title to blame the spacers when in the actual content you admit that you aren’t sure what the culprit is 🙄 .

I am approaching 200k miles on wheels centered on the lugs, about 50k of which have been on various spacers. For me, spacers have never been an issue. In fact, every time I have experienced spontaneous vibrations it has simply been from loosing a wheel weight.

Unfortunately, you probably just need your wheels/tires balanced again :( .

Also… pretty provocative thread title to blame the spacers when in the actual content you admit that you aren’t sure what the culprit is 🙄 .
can adjust the title. was trying to see if anyone had that issue with spacers leading to vibration issues.

ive had my wheels balanced 3 times at this point. 1st time at a Mavis when i first noticed the shaking, 2nd time at another mavis when the first visit didnt fix it so i went for an alignment they also did a balance and they noticed the bends, and then 3rd time by Porsche dealership when they did the rim repair and remount.

Also today at Tesla service they were supposed to check the balance and everything so that would be 4 balances that have all not fixed the issue. Tesla also said Alignment was OK. All of which took place within 2 weeks. Based on that i have ruled out the balancing and alignment. Taking the front spacers off tomorrow and will see if that does the trick. i did get some messages from people who said they got a bad batch of spacers that resulted in the vibrations.

Can you check if the stud does not quite clear the cavity on the front wheels. I just went through on purchasing some 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers for my m3p and here is the response I got from bloxsport. I ended up going with 18mm spacers for the front. Hope this helps, see message below for reference.

"Hello Nathan,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Sorry to tell you, As our new experience, The 2020+ Model 3 NEWEST Performance version Factoryock wheels have shallow cavities on the back, the cavity depth is not enough to install 15mm thick spacers, if you want to install 15mm you should need to shorten the original stud to avoid the protruding stud touching the wheel. We sold all for 2019th or before no problem.

Is your car 2021 Performance version coming with Factory wheels or aftermerket wheels? If factory wheels, could you accept to shorten the original studs?

Or could you accept to use 18mm+20mm? 20mm+20mm? 20mm+25mm? you could measure like the picture shows in attached to confirm the thickness: Measure the distance between the tire and fender. The spacer thickness should be smaller than this distance."

Thank you & Best Regards
Jack Chen from BLOXSPORT"

Reactions: Lindenwood
can adjust the title. was trying to see if anyone had that issue with spacers leading to vibration issues.

ive had my wheels balanced 3 times at this point. 1st time at a Mavis when i first noticed the shaking, 2nd time at another mavis when the first visit didnt fix it so i went for an alignment they also did a balance and they noticed the bends, and then 3rd time by Porsche dealership when they did the rim repair and remount.

Also today at Tesla service they were supposed to check the balance and everything so that would be 4 balances that have all not fixed the issue. Tesla also said Alignment was OK. All of which took place within 2 weeks. Based on that i have ruled out the balancing and alignment. Taking the front spacers off tomorrow and will see if that does the trick. i did get some messages from people who said they got a bad batch of spacers that resulted in the vibrations.
Sorry, it was very unnecessary to be that sassy. I appreciate you taking the high road :) .

Have you confirmed stud clearance against the back of the wheel pockets? @nmyers suggestion is a good one.

Took the spacers off. Slightly better but still feel something can’t put my finger on it. I still have my rear spacers in but I shouldn’t feel that in my steering wheel/pedal. I did notice some odd marks on the spacers I’d like some feedback on. One spacer had blue discoloring on the back while the other didn’t. The other spacer had a scratched up front but the other didn’t. Photos for reference.
16CAA39F-3EAF-433D-9DA1-A40839819EB8.jpeg
B8D11910-1F40-437F-A7EC-6B2A201BBC66.jpeg

Any idea what a good price range is for forged wheels? I see some all the way up to $8k for a set. Seems wild.
@Scosta17 Wheels can be a luxury item. You can spend as much as you want to. ;) Also size matters...for how much the wheels cost.

The very cheapest way to get fully forged wheels is through certain Chinese ODM wheel manufacturers that will sell direct. You send them money (e.g. wire transfer), then they make your wheels and boat ship them to you. (Or pay up for air shipping but then you've lost out on the cost savings.) They're not doing test fitments or anything, it's up to you to make sure everything is spec'd correctly - spoke clearance, barrel clearance, lug nut seats, center bore, etc. Not difficult per se but I've seen a few reports where some stuff went wrong. Some people on these forums are running such wheels. I was not comfortable with this though. I think price (with boat shipping) for 18x8.5" might come out to around $1200-$1500. (I never got a quote for such wheels, and you won't find a preset price list on a website as you're making a custom order.)

Next cheapest fully forged wheels for a Model 3, from companies that actually design + operate + sell here in the US (but not manufacture here!) are around $2k USD for 18x8.5" . There's only two brands I know of selling proper Model 3 including M3P fitments at that price range (no centering rings or spacers needed) - Titan7 and Martian. This is what I went with, I'm running 18x8.5" Titan7 wheels on my 2021 M3P. Both Titan7 and Martian have larger width and diameter available too, for more money.

If you want made-in-a-democracy fully forged wheels, that will be another jump in price. This was my preference initially but ultimately the cost just wasn't worth it for me and my budget.

If you want fully forged wheels from a top tier brand, that will be yet another jump in price, and can easily get you into the $8k+ bracket you mentioned. I'd love me some BBS FI-R but can't remotely justify spending that much on a set of wheels, there's so much more I'd rather do with that money (including simply saving it).

The best, cheapest forged wheel deals are usually when a car comes with forged wheels from the factory, and you can find used sets practically oozing out of Craigslist for cheap. For my last ICE car I picked up a set of forged BBS wheels for $500 to use as winter wheels. ;) Sadly there's no such thing in the Tesla world, as Tesla seems to think "performance" wheels should be giant heavy fragile cast junk.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
had the wheels balanced twice just to double check it. thinking it might just be a bad pair of spacers. mentioned it in another reply but did see a post saying they needed to replace their spacers. i just got 25 to replace the 20 in the rear. going to move the 20 up to the front and put 25 in the rear and see if that does the trick.

Any photos of this? Are you lowered?