Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla made a *HOUSE CALL*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had the WEIRDEST and probably coolest auto maintenance experience ever with my Model Y, and thought I'd share it here. I got my MY in September, and from the beginning, I was noticing a weird, chemically, hot-battery smell outside the car when I would drive with the windows open, which would get stronger the longer/faster I drove (and who doesn't drive their new Tesla fast juuuuuusssst a little?). I popped on here, and folks told me that the smell was not normal, and that I should log a service appointment with Tesla, which I promptly did. Well, rather than telling me to come to the service center, they booked a "mobile service appointment," which I then noticed was AT. MY. HOUSE. Okkkkkk. They gave me a 6 hour window when they might come and told me to have the car somewhere outside, which I did. Of course, they came during the one 30 min period that I had to be away from the house, but the technician called me, and said, "Hey, I'm not totally sure what's wrong with your vehicle, so I'm just going to go ahead and replace the battery." Me: "The battery..... you mean, the thing that basically IS the engine? Do you need me to run home for that?" Him: "Nope. I should be done in 10 minutes." And, HE WAS. Total cost = $0. Not entirely sure whether to be freaked out that my car was probably in such imminent danger of exploding that they sent someone to my house with a new battery, or impressed that they could essentially change out the engine in 10 minutes, but either way, I REALLY wish I'd been there to see it now.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
It was most definitely the 12V battery.

You would not transport the entire battery pack or be able to change it in a driveway in 30 minutes, nor would Tesla do that without multiple confirmations from the Mother ship that it is a bad battery pack (at the Service Center)
True. It was the 12v, so not quite as major, but still cool/odd to have a service appointment complete in my driveway in 10 min, without me having to be there. Anyone else experience "mobile service" on their Teslas yet?

I came from several years with the Genesis brand. Not sure how this works in the US but in Canada they come and get your car and leave you a loaner. In other words I can tell them I will be at work, they bring me a loaner and take my car. When it is done then they bring it back and take the loaner back no matter where you may be located. This goes on for 5 years and includes everything, even oil changes, all complimentary! Must admit it is a great service compared to the average vehicle. Tesla is sort of half way there.

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 8.42.17 AM.png

Reactions: jsight and alexcue
Given a choice of repair in my driveway or leave me a loaner, I'd take the driveway repair every time. So I don't agree that Tesla is halfway there.

Just wait till cars drive without drivers. Then we'll "send" our car to the repair shop for a just in time repair. Oh, and I think Tesla oil changes are "complimentary" and free too. Radiator maintenance and a host of other things come to mind as well.

I came from several years with the Genesis brand. Not sure how this works in the US but in Canada they come and get your car and leave you a loaner. In other words I can tell them I will be at work, they bring me a loaner and take my car. When it is done then they bring it back and take the loaner back no matter where you may be located. This goes on for 5 years and includes everything, even oil changes, all complimentary! Must admit it is a great service compared to the average vehicle. Tesla is sort of half way there.
In the early years, Tesla did something similar for the Model S. They would bring a loaner on a flatbed, drop it off and pick up your car. After fixing it, they would bring your car back and pick up the loaner.

Given a choice of repair in my driveway or leave me a loaner, I'd take the driveway repair every time. So I don't agree that Tesla is halfway there.

Just wait till cars drive without drivers. Then we'll "send" our car to the repair shop for a just in time repair. Oh, and I think Tesla oil changes are "complimentary" and free too. Radiator maintenance and a host of other things come to mind as well.
Point is if they cannot repair your car in the driveway which may be the case most of the time, then you need to go to the service centre with your car.