Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla made/fitted green reg plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. My M3 is booked in to the SC for a few things and am wondering whether to get Tesla to make/fit some green/EV number plates whilst it’s there but was wondering how much they might charge for this! Anybody had Tesla make green plates and can report on the cost?!

Thanks. That’s not too bad. I assumed the Tesla tax would make it a lot more! Can surely be had for cheaper elsewhere but for the convenience I’ll add it on to my existing SC visit.
I think £30 is pretty good - Halfords (who did mine) wanted £36 for the pair. The problem with going for cheaper options is that the green stripe might not be retroreflective (which is a requirement). Unlikely to be a problem, but I think it is better to spend a few more quid and have them done properly!

I had a service visit booked at Winchester in May and asked if green plates could be fitted during the service as an extra.
I was quoted the same "under £30".
The service required was not completed that day, in spite of me waiting in the reception for 3 hours, so it needed another service booking.
However they had replaced the plates and left the old ones in the 'sub-trunk'.
When the second booking service was carried out, this time with a loan car included, it was zero billed as being under warranty and I never got the bill for the plates and no mention of them??

They do seem a bit random in Winchester. I booked for a wheel alignmnet and they just reported the tyre tread depths and then reluctantly took it back in for a paid alignment. I booked for the bio-weapon upgrade at the same time and collected the car with just the wheel alignmnet done after 2 days using their car (which arrived with just enough charge to get to the Norton Park Super Charger)

I don’t see the point of spending money for, what appears to be, no benefit whatsoever
Indeed, why would you actually want green plates? Any low emission zone is going to go on the plate characters not look for a green bar. I'd be asking Tesla if they could fit a plate without a green bar if I had one.... Is there actually any purpose that I'm missing, it's not like you would want to differentiate yourself from the ice models like with a Volvo/Mini where the ICE/BEV car's essentially the same, as Tesla doesn't make anything other than BEVs.

Reactions: Mr H
they don't charge for the plates themselves only the fitting. £17.40.

Not a bad little earner for 60 seconds work... o_O

I didn't think £30 was bad for supply and fit - shame they spoil it by saying free plates but huge fitting cost (it literally is 30 seconds per plate, no tools needed) even if it is cheaper overall. I'd be tempted to say you would take the free plates and fit them yourself.