Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla made my car slower after they repaired it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2018 P100D and the axel broke after 10,000 miles. I took it in for service and after they replaced both axels under warranty I noticed that my car is slower. At first I was thinking it was all in my head but today I had to take my car back to tesla for something unrelated and the loaner they gave me is my same car with very similar miles on it and it is why faster then my car! Has anyone else noticed or heard of tesla doing this to anyone else?

I asked Service and they said everything looks normal to them but a month before the axel broke I took it to the track and the 0-60 was 2.2 / 2.4 at 95% state of charge. A week or two after they replaced the axels I went back to the track and my 0-60 was 2.8 / 3.0 at the same state of charge. I know it doesn't sound like much but when you have the power then it's gone its extremely noticeable.

I have 2018 P100D and the axel broke after 10,000 miles. I took it in for service and after they replaced both axels under warranty I noticed that my car is slower. At first I was thinking it was all in my head but today I had to take my car back to tesla for something unrelated and the loaner they gave me is my same car with very similar miles on it and it is why faster then my car! Has anyone else noticed or heard of tesla doing this to anyone else?
When you say they replaced the “axels” do you mean they replaced the drive units?

If so, did they install a performance drive unit in the rear? I believe they are different (at least they were back in 2015).

• Disagree
Reactions: gaswalla
thats a big jump in loss of performance...i would ask them what changed electronically when they worked on your car...or is tesla throttling the power to prevent future axle issues?

i had a p100d and the best i could do was a 2.6 0-60 but i never really tried to get better...good luck. keep us updated.

I think your right about tesla throttling it
we had a discussion on the forum awhile back about how nobody except the car magazines ever saw a mid 10 second 1/4 mile out of there p100d, all of us were in the 11.0 range...and 0-60 2.5-2.7. wondering if yours was on the original tune and they never updated it or it didnt get updated for some reason...these cars are very consistant running 0-60 1/4 mile etc. that big of a loss would need to be explained...

now that i have the plaid though and run 9.4 on cold streets at over 150mph i feel better about it...lol

Reactions: Jpandes