Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Maintenance [for model 3]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m very familiar with ICE cars and the typical maintenance schedule. But TESLA technology is so different and brand new to me. What type maintenance items do you all typically perform on your Tesla? These are the only things I can think of:

1. Tire rotation
2. Washer fluid top off
3. Brake replacement (though with regenerative braking this should not happen for quite a while)
4. Windshield wiper blade replacement

Brakes benefit from being cleaned and lubricated from time to time. In Texas it's less critical than here with snow and calcium but still, they might jam if they're not lubricated since they are used so little. Maybe once every 2 years for you is enough whereas it's recommended every year here. Maintained properly, they should last a long time.

Expect to change the cabin AC filters when they develop bad odors.

The rest is checking and general maintenance. For example, brake fluid needs replacement just like ICE cars. Monitor and replace after what, around 4 years ?

The rest is checking and general maintenance. For example, brake fluid needs replacement just like ICE cars. Monitor and replace after what, around 4 years ?
Car Maintenance says "Tesla recommends testing your brake fluid for contamination every 2 years and replacing as needed." Presumably, this means checking for water percentage and replacing the brake fluid if the water percentage is too high. Those in more humid areas should expect to replace the brake fluid more often.

In Texas it's less critical than here with snow and calcium but still, they might jam if they're not lubricated since they are used so little.
The brakes on a Tesla are actuated constantly. The parking brake fully cycles the rear calipers every time you park, The iBooster fully applies all the brakes any time you are at a stop light and doing a hold.

Yes, the pads and rotors may not take as much wear, but it's not like the master cylinder and brake calipers aren't being used all the time.

• Informative
Reactions: Scelto
Sure. Still, they jam in a climate such as we have here, more than ICE vehicles, so I thought I'd say. Especially the front pins seize and are broken when trying to remove them. I prefer to clean/lubricate every year, they are already difficult to remove...

Car Maintenance says "Tesla recommends testing your brake fluid for contamination every 2 years and replacing as needed." Presumably, this means checking for water percentage and replacing the brake fluid if the water percentage is too high. Those in more humid areas should expect to replace the brake fluid more often.
And conversely, those who live in drier areas may not need to check it very often at all. I've owned four Teslas, two of which were sold with over 100,000 miles on them. No car of mine EVER had the brake fluid checked for any reason, partly because I figured the brakes were hardly ever used except for the last few feet near a stop light or sign. Nearly all braking is done with regen.

...brake fluid won't stop working overnight but it doesn't mean you shouldn't get it checked. With enough water content, pedal feel could be affected and emergency braking situations could be problematic I believe. Also, humidity in those lines means they will rust faster. True for all cars. You don't see the effects yet but they might be present... Don't wait until it's too late, get it checked after a while.

And conversely, those who live in drier areas may not need to check it very often at all. I've owned four Teslas, two of which were sold with over 100,000 miles on them. No car of mine EVER had the brake fluid checked for any reason, partly because I figured the brakes were hardly ever used except for the last few feet near a stop light or sign. Nearly all braking is done with regen.
Brake fluid deterioration is not dependent on brake usage. I don't understand where people get that notion. It doesn't "wear out." If the car sat in a garage for years and was never driven you would still need to change it if you were in a humid environment.

Reactions: Msjulie and GtiMart
Brakes benefit from being cleaned and lubricated from time to time. In Texas it's less critical than here with snow and calcium but still, they might jam if they're not lubricated since they are used so little. Maybe once every 2 years for you is enough whereas it's recommended every year here. Maintained properly, they should last a long time.

Expect to change the cabin AC filters when they develop bad odors.

Having worked as a service advisor and warranty administrator for several different marques, the frequency for a brake fluid change/flush is every two years regardless of mileage.

Reactions: Msjulie and GtiMart