TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Tesla Maintenance

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Sarperman90, May 23, 2016.

1. Sarperman90

Sarperman90 New Member

May 23, 2016
    Hello Everyone,
    I am a mechanical engineering student and I am doing some research on EV maintenance. Would you please answer a few questions of mine :)

1-) Is it possible to bring my Tesla to an independent service center and get it maintained or serviced? If so would it be cheaper? Any real experiences on this topic?

2-) What are the most common problems in Teslss after the warranty is over, what parts you had to change most and where have you done it, in official tesla service or in an independent service center? Pros and cons of servicing in Tesla Official service or in an independent service?

3-) How long can you access the diagnostics of your Tesla with the app, what is the level of detailed information you can reach, can you monitor how good is your brake pads etc. or is it only very general information?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers,
    With kind regards,
    Mustafa Sarper
    Btw I love TEsla and I hope one day I can own one and maybe even work for them :))
  2. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

May 16, 2012
    1) use search function

2) ditto

3) ditto
  3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Mar 8, 2012
    1) Some things such as tires and alignment can be done elsewhere. It may or may not be cheaper. There are a number of threads on this topic.

2) Most Teslas are not out of warranty.

3) There are no diagnostic displays available to the owner from the App. There are some owner created diagnostics that have their own threads.
  4. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

Feb 13, 2013
    2) As Jerry said, there isn't much reporting of out of warranty experiences, yet. I'd speculate Model S's become black swans, where a few types of very expensive infrequent repairs create a demand for serviced, or refurbished products, like the $5,000 master control unit. A market that doesn't exist, apart from part-outs. Batteries and drive units have a ways to go under their own warranties. Brakes and suspension are easy, and straight forward. Diagnostics are locked up. You won't have "engine light" problems, but you can't go buy an OBD-II Bluetooth reader and link it to a phone app, like 'Torque', or through a USB to a laptop, either. Right to repair states get access to most non-drive related manual info (some of us living in them have this), but these laws can be construed as a burden only for franchised dealers (as written) and we may never see tools for drive related issues.

TMC still lacks an "out of warranty" sub-forum, or "Technical" sub-forum for the Model S. There still isn't enough, to me, to suggest out-of-warranty ownership won't be a bumpy ride, for a while more. More like a dice-roll. Three years could cost a couple thousand for two people, and $10,000-15,000 for a third, is kind of how I'd approach it. No matter what experience you have, or independent you work with, you have almost no net keeping you from an undeveloped, post-warranty Tesla operation. Limited cars also limit how quickly alternatives will come along. We'll see.