Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla makes new Model S's but can't supply parts for the ones it has already sold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a warning to anyone that plans on buying a new Model S or possibly any Tesla.

If your car breaks, you may not be given priority to fix your car over shipping a new car from the factory.

Case in point:

I have a new Plaid that we purchased at the end of June. Shortly after purchase, the windshield was cracked by a rock. After contacting my insurance company and being directed to a glass company, I was told that this part was "dealer only." I made an appointment and waited over a month. As the appointment approached, I was contacted by Tesla and told that the windshield was not available. My appointment was rescheduled, and the clock reset. I got the call again this week and unfortunately, this has now happened yet again.

At the same time, cars continue to be built:

Shareholder value is not measured by customer satisfaction, just unit sales.

Dear Tesla.. Can you please prioritize 1 (one) windshiled for me?

how long before your door handle died? sadly my driver side presents but doesnt open the door 75% of the time now... my service appt was a month out (3 weeks now)!!
It was odd. My car went in for the windshield replacement as it was scratched on the inside when I received it. This was roughly 6 weeks after I took deliver. After driving it home, I noticed the passenger front wouldn't present and the HVAC on auto wanted to blow only on my feet. It didn't grind or seem misaligned. The light on the inside door switch was also dead. It would flip flop from not presenting to occasionally presenting but then not retracting.

Mobile service came out a few days later. Could not connect to the handle to recalibrate, wouldn't respond. He replaced it with a new unit. He said the HVAC was likely a temp sensor that he couldn't service mobile. However, once the door handle was fixed, the HVAC also fixed itself.

It was odd. My car went in for the windshield replacement as it was scratched on the inside when I received it. This was roughly 6 weeks after I took deliver. After driving it home, I noticed the passenger front wouldn't present and the HVAC on auto wanted to blow only on my feet. It didn't grind or seem misaligned. The light on the inside door switch was also dead. It would flip flop from not presenting to occasionally presenting but then not retracting.

Mobile service came out a few days later. Could not connect to the handle to recalibrate, wouldn't respond. He replaced it with a new unit. He said the HVAC was likely a temp sensor that he couldn't service mobile. However, once the door handle was fixed, the HVAC also fixed itself.
In the era of networked cars, if some of the HVAC sensors or controls are on the same bus as an electrically broken door handle, then all sorts of wacky stuff can happen. Makes debugging things a giant pain unless you know how its all wired.

weird. tesla said they couldn't do a mobile service to fix my door handle (which was like a week wait for the appt) and had to schedule me at a Service Center, which is like a month out!!

It took nearly a week for Tesla to replace a tire that got a screw through both sides. That's a long time for a tire. They don't have any on hand.
You should always take your tire needs to a tire store. Tesla may have tires, but they are not a tire store. A tire store should have been able to fix your tire while you waited. Other than making you wait, it was probably fairly expensive.

HOWEVER, you might have bought a plug kit for less than $20 (which would repair multiple punctures) and plugged your own tires in your own garage. If the screw was near or in the tread, a plug is often the recommended way to repair it, and it doesn't matter how many sides the screw is in. I owned a business that ran a couple dozen trucks and vans, and we ONLY used plugs to repair tires. If a plug wouldn't fix it, we bought a new tire. We had plugs last as long as the tires. Learning to plug a tire is a five minute lesson.

Reactions: pilotSteve
This is a warning to anyone that plans on buying a new Model S or possibly any Tesla.

If your car breaks, you may not be given priority to fix your car over shipping a new car from the factory.

Case in point:

I have a new Plaid that we purchased at the end of June. Shortly after purchase, the windshield was cracked by a rock. After contacting my insurance company and being directed to a glass company, I was told that this part was "dealer only." I made an appointment and waited over a month. As the appointment approached, I was contacted by Tesla and told that the windshield was not available. My appointment was rescheduled, and the clock reset. I got the call again this week and unfortunately, this has now happened yet again.

You need to get on the phone and start calling Tesla Fremont and your own Tesla dealer every day, several times a day. Betcha they find a windshield pretty quick. Fremont has windshields, and they know how to ship them to Austin. Try to find out what the hang up is, and offer to make calls to get it cleared up. Be a pain in the patootie. Being "nice" often does not work, though it's nice you started with that approach. I live a half hour from Fremont, and I'd be happy to drop by some time and see what the problem is.

Case in point:

Try two non-concurrent accidents that took 2 and 3 months to fix while sitting in a repair shop.

I'm in Austin too and not looking forward to this kind of crap. Been waiting for my car for over 4 months now. I sold my 3 too early expecting this S to be here a month ago. I sold it with the hope I would have less build issues with S but I don't think that's going to happen.

Still haven't even gotten to see a new S in person. Hoping I don't have to have it in service for a month after I finally get it.

I'm in Austin too and not looking forward to this kind of crap. Been waiting for my car for over 4 months now. I sold my 3 too early expecting this S to be here a month ago. I sold it with the hope I would have less build issues with S but I don't think that's going to happen.

Still haven't even gotten to see a new S in person. Hoping I don't have to have it in service for a month after I finally get it.
Nope, probably won’t happen, sadly.