Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla making buyers sign promise not to resell?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just heard this from someone I know. This is in Canada, if it makes a difference:

Model Y, ordered in Sept last year. Finally ready for delivery this week. Buyer had already made up their mind that they didn't want the car, but had a private buyer lined up due to the price difference beween then and now. However, when they went to take delivery, Tesla asked them to sign a legal document declaring that they would not resell the car for 12 months. They refused, and Tesla would not release the car.

This is the first I've ever heard of this. It doesn't even seem legal to try to stop you from reselling your own property, but they are spooked that Tesla may try something like preventing the VIN transfer to the buyer, etc. It just seems very sketchy.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it legal in Canada?

First. GOOD. Stops people from buying to flip them.

I hadn’t heard they were requiring people sign something, but Tesla has long had a policy against buying cars for resale and has on at least 1 occasion banned someone from buying Teslas.

I suspect banning buyers is about the limit of what they can legally do. GM is apparently cancelling warrantees on the Hummer. I know Ford has some kind of anti-flipping policy. It’s bad for the brand and bad for people who are legit buying cars.

This is the first I've ever heard of this. It doesn't even seem legal to try to stop you from reselling your own property, but they are spooked that Tesla may try something like preventing the VIN transfer to the buyer, etc. It just seems very sketchy.
The order agreement that they agreed to when they placed their order clearly says that you can not purchase for resale. (At least in the US.)

So that is sort of duplicative. In the US they have have been perma-banning people from ever buying a Tesla again if they are caught selling a vehicle shortly after they bought it.

Reactions: Ogre
Just heard this from someone I know. This is in Canada, if it makes a difference:

Model Y, ordered in Sept last year. Finally ready for delivery this week. Buyer had already made up their mind that they didn't want the car, but had a private buyer lined up due to the price difference beween then and now. However, when they went to take delivery, Tesla asked them to sign a legal document declaring that they would not resell the car for 12 months. They refused, and Tesla would not release the car.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it legal in Canada?
If you pay for the car, you own it. It’s your property. This is complete nonsense and is nothing but a scare tactic.

I know Tesla wants to ultimately “rent” vehicles and software license to us, but that just isn’t how it works.

No matter how good the vehicle may be, owners will not stand for this.

FYI, got a bit more info, and yeah, it was that clause in the standard sales agreement that says you aren't buying the vehicle to resell. I think they were somewhat naive and just informed the Tesla rep upfront that they were there to pick up the car but were going to sell it right away - i think they even had the buyer with them. They didn't order it initially to flip, just changed their mind on the car (they wanted something 'quiet and comfortable' - thought the Y would be that, but it definitely isn't).

FYI, got a bit more info, and yeah, it was that clause in the standard sales agreement that says you aren't buying the vehicle to resell. I think they were somewhat naive and just informed the Tesla rep upfront that they were there to pick up the car but were going to sell it right away - i think they even had the buyer with them. They didn't order it initially to flip, just changed their mind on the car (they wanted something 'quiet and comfortable' - thought the Y would be that, but it definitely isn't).
Our 2021 Y is quiet and comfortable. Too bad they lost out on a great ride!

Didn't know Tesla had an anti-flipping clause, learned something today.
I am so glad the are blocking resale at the time of delivery. Just like the GTA condo flipping investors, this is creating artificial shortage and causing pain to genuine buyers. I know some people who have booked up to 3 Teslas and are selling the booking to make the profit on the cost difference. The buyer is made to pay the full current price for the "privilege" of getting the car 5-8 months earlier. I hope all these people get screwed.

I am so pissed off. The MYLR I booked in August has an EDD of Feb to April 2023! At the same time, I keep seeing the registration resale offer in forums and even Kijiji! They all say due to unavoidable circumstances they are selling it, but they are all scalpers. If this was a genuine person, they would sell it at the sale price at the time of booking.