Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla making CCS adapter for fast charging interface

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume the ability exists for Tesla superchargers to communicate with non-tesla EVs?
I think that at the moment it's very unlikely that the superchargers support CCS as a secondary protocol (outside of the EU). There really is no point to do that as you can't connect it to a CCS EV..

Charging rates are not a problem as the vehicle will only draw the current it can handle.

Reactions: Rocky_H
IIRC, one of the requirements Tesla had when originally asking for partners was that the cars could handle the high charge rate for the congestion concerns mentioned.

Folks, they get it. While many may think they are brilliantly uncovering unintended consequences of opening up, they've first principled through this long ago. In fact, these concerns were heard from some S/X owners when anticipating sharing "their" network with a slew of new model 3 owners.

So if Tesla opens up, I suspect Bolt and other slow charging vehicles would either be excluded, or priced in such a way as to discourage all but non-taper level charging. (like idle fees - ie- 70 cents/kwh above 50, $2 below 50)

I assume the ability exists for Tesla superchargers to communicate with non-tesla EVs? I also wonder if they would have to absolve Tesla of any battery damage claims when signing up for an account. I assume it is up to the car to tell the charger what rate it can accept?

Current Bolt max rate is just 55kw. 50kw for i3 and Leafs with the smaller pack. Konas and Niros are 77kw.

Maybe they could be limited to 50% if the bank of chargers is full (and of course idle fees).

Tesla could do all kinds of things, they have a very powerful integration of software and their hardware. The problem would be communicating that clearly to non-Tesla EV owners. I can't imagine the number of frustrated owners you would have that try to plug in and can't get a charge going... seemingly randomly, when they see other Bolt or non-Tesla owners charging there and maybe they charged there the day before and it worked fine. That would be a messy communication issue; owners usually don't read or follow emails or paper mail all that well. If Tesla could flash a notification on the screen in the car that only 4 stalls are available for "General EVs" or something and then show the status of them that would be a huge help, however, that would require the integration/changes of 3rd party software and server side APIs.

Somehow I suspect dumping a geo-location list of the supercharger sites as an overlay on the nav map would be far easier (and most likely already what they do for 3rd party chargers) for these other companies and no one would spend the effort or time (read: wouldn't care) to make it more informative.

I just see that back when it was growing would have been the time to allow everyone else on without any limits.

Now that the ownership numbers are much higher though I feel like core changes need to be made to from the foundation and probably completely on Tesla's side of things since 3rd parties are likely not going to work that hard on supporting it, even if they want the partnership. (Think about how they're pricing the EVs and getting press on them but then completely dropping the ball with their dealer networks a lot.)

Maybe Tesla could force them to use a Tesla branded app to "activate" the supercharger and for billing. That could get customers used to looking at the app and then you could use the app to clearly state superchargers are unavailable if more than 50% full (or whatever) and then provide the live view of it; unfortunately that encourages owners to grab their phone while driving...

IIRC, one of the requirements Tesla had when originally asking for partners was that the cars could handle the high charge rate for the congestion concerns mentioned.

Folks, they get it. While many may think they are brilliantly uncovering unintended consequences of opening up, they've first principled through this long ago. In fact, these concerns were heard from some S/X owners when anticipating sharing "their" network with a slew of new model 3 owners.

So if Tesla opens up, I suspect Bolt and other slow charging vehicles would either be excluded, or priced in such a way as to discourage all but non-taper level charging. (like idle fees - ie- 70 cents/kwh above 50, $2 below 50)

Until there are charging solutions on literally every corner (and not just SoCal) we have to constantly remind them that the superchargers are capacity constrained. While I think Tesla is still on track for "doing the right thing" and building out capacity issues we can't let them think they've "caught up" and can relax a little. We might be fine right now, but a year or two from now we might be right back in the issue of a "mad dash" to fix capacity issues. Honestly I'm a little surprised they're still building 8 spot locations (even if it is V3 speeds) and not 12 to 20 spots as the new minimum amount.

In a lot of locations 8 cars needing to charge at once on a holiday weekend or something seems pretty likely and while I don't think I personally would mind waiting 5 or 10 minutes on the very odd occasion, it should be pushing towards never waiting. (I can't remember the last time I waited for a gas pump when I still owned a gas car, even during busy holiday travel. Mainly the times I've seen people waiting it's because the station was 10% cheaper than the ones across the street, etc)

Honestly I'm a little surprised they're still building 8 spot locations (even if it is V3 speeds) and not 12 to 20 spots as the new minimum amount. In a lot of locations 8 cars needing to charge at once on a holiday weekend or something seems pretty likely and while I don't think I personally would mind waiting 5 or 10 minutes on the very odd occasion, it should be pushing towards never waiting.
Most of the time this is dictated by how many parking spaces the shopping center or business is allowed by law to give up. You all want them marked exclusively for the use of Teslas instead of for the business' customers, but if they do that, they must be subtracted from the amount of parking spaces they have, which must be matched by a certain ratio to their retail square footage.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
Oh, ok. Well, it wasn't my intent to be redundant, simply to point out that an adapter DOES exist (third party or otherwise) and, since there was no reference to it on this thread, it seemed like perhaps not everybody on this thread knew about it. Sorry to offend with something that was apparently common knowledge to everyone here.

I am generally just interested in the electrical and charging stuff, so I go through the "Battery & Charging" in the Model S, X, 3, and Y sections because there is so much in common across all of the models, and then I go to the Supercharging & Charging infrastructure and then the North America subsection there. And then I check my regional ones of Northwest and Mountain.

Post has been pretty quiet about the 'soon to be released' Tesla OEM CCS1 adapter in Korea (not the Setec one).

Any news to report from those in the know over there?
I have a Korean friend over there and he mentioned in late March “Tesla Korea has filed the paperwork for the KC certification of the CCS1 adapter last week. The process takes upwards 45 days.”

He followed up with his personal opinion that he thought late May might be when the Tesla Korean version would show up...

I have a Korean friend over there and he mentioned in late March “Tesla Korea has filed the paperwork for the KC certification of the CCS1 adapter last week. The process takes upwards 45 days.”

He followed up with his personal opinion that he thought late May might be when the Tesla Korean version would show up...
Was wondering if your friend heard anything new...

Guys, this "new" adapter looks very interesting. Waiting to see it properly tested:

Rich

• Informative
Reactions: Fourdoor and mspohr
Guys, this "new" adapter looks very interesting. Waiting to see it properly tested:

Rich
That does look good, hoping for independent testing to verify capabilities. This looks like a "dumb" adapter (pass through style). If it is rated at 160 KW, you could use it on a 150 KW Electrify America station, but I wouldn't recommend plugging it in to a 350 KW Electrify America station... the car will request 250 KW thinking it's on a V3 supercharger and overload the adapter.

Keith

That does look good, hoping for independent testing to verify capabilities. This looks like a "dumb" adapter (pass through style). If it is rated at 160 KW, you could use it on a 150 KW Electrify America station, but I wouldn't recommend plugging it in to a 350 KW Electrify America station... the car will request 250 KW thinking it's on a V3 supercharger and overload the adapter.

Keith
That's a really good question. It doesn't seem like there is anything to keep the vehicle from requesting more than 450 Amps. Although that might actually be ok at Electrify America. I think their "350 kw" stations are really only 350 amps, and can only really do 350kw on a 1000 volt system.

I'm sure someone will come along to correct me if I've messed up the details above. :)

Reactions: RTPEV and MP3Mike