Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla making CCS adapter for fast charging interface

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a really good question. It doesn't seem like there is anything to keep the vehicle from requesting more than 450 Amps. Although that might actually be ok at Electrify America. I think their "350 kw" stations are really only 350 amps, and can only really do 350kw on a 1000 volt system.

I'm sure someone will come along to correct me if I've messed up the details above. :)

You know what? I think your right! I had forgotten that the 350KW rating was at high voltage vs the 250 KW rating of the V3 superchargers being at high current! This should be safe on any Electrify America charger :) Now I am even more eager to see a real world test and review!

The CCS charging infrastructure is "clunky" in operation, but the stations tend to be closer together than Tesla Superchargers (since they were originally envisioned for shorter range vehicles). If you have 24 EA chargers on a stretch of highway you have 6 stations with 4 chargers each that are less than 100 miles apart (coverage of 600 miles).

It is my impression that with Superchargers, those same 24 chargers would be at two stations, perhaps even all at one station, giving much less road coverage, but more capacity at each station... is that correct?

Keith

The CCS charging infrastructure is "clunky" in operation, but the stations tend to be closer together than Tesla Superchargers (since they were originally envisioned for shorter range vehicles). If you have 24 EA chargers on a stretch of highway you have 6 stations with 4 chargers each that are less than 100 miles apart (coverage of 600 miles).

It is my impression that with Superchargers, those same 24 chargers would be at two stations, perhaps even all at one station, giving much less road coverage, but more capacity at each station... is that correct?

Keith
I think that's how it should be, given the range of most EV's right now. In my experience traveling down from IN to NC and back, however, it felt like CCS chargers (EA, EVgo, Chargepoint) are really much more sparse than the supercharger network.

Screenshots from Plugshare below:

Orange is CCS/SAE (DCFS only), Green is Tesla Supercharging. Note the abnormal amount of orange around cities, that is usually because of the Delaer chargers (Nissan, GM, Volkswagen), cannot figure out how to filter them out...
1622566248354.png
1622566679267.png

Overlay with both. I can't quite figure out how it decides to include/exclude some...
1622566767021.png

Would be cool if someone could access the data for all the locations and calculate the average distance between CCS/SAE chargers vs Tesla Superchargers

Attachments

• 1622566310895.png
    1622566310895.png
    572.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 1622566418055.png
    1622566418055.png
    459.8 KB · Views: 48
Guys, this "new" adapter looks very interesting. Waiting to see it properly tested:

Rich
It's for the US but they can't even get a guy speaking English in the video, or show it being tested in the US? Looks sketchy to me.

It's for the US but they can't even get a guy speaking English in the video, or show it being tested in the US? Looks sketchy to me.
Since this seems to be a purely hw connector without any CPU/MCU (why is it $525 though if that's the case... should be $100-200 or so) it assumes the Tesla will natively do the CCS protocol. No idea if the US spec Teslas can do that (the European ones will).

That also begs the question why the other CCS adapter (Setec) is there which certainly does some kind of protocol conversion as its firmware is USB-updatable.

BTW: all prices seem outrageous on this website (evhub.shop)

Last edited:
I think that's how it should be, given the range of most EV's right now. In my experience traveling down from IN to NC and back, however, it felt like CCS chargers (EA, EVgo, Chargepoint) are really much more sparse than the supercharger network.

Screenshots from Plugshare below:

Orange is CCS/SAE (DCFS only), Green is Tesla Supercharging. Note the abnormal amount of orange around cities, that is usually because of the Delaer chargers (Nissan, GM, Volkswagen), cannot figure out how to filter them out...
View attachment 668419View attachment 668422

Overlay with both. I can't quite figure out how it decides to include/exclude some...
View attachment 668423

Would be cool if someone could access the data for all the locations and calculate the average distance between CCS/SAE chargers vs Tesla Superchargers

A lot of the "city clustering" of CCS is due to EVGo, For example, St. Loise has loads of CCS stations in and around the city and about half of them are EVGo.

My goal would be to use Superchargers when ever possible, but a reasonably priced CCS adapter would really fill in some gaps.

Keith

PS: Yeah, that video was sketchy AF... I really can't wait to see an independent test / review.

Still no news on the South Korea front.... Tesla of course is taking their sweet time to release their official adapter. Curious if we'll see it at all this year.

I'm holding out for the official unit, even if it's from SK. There's a good chance Tesla will sell the exact same model in SK and here in North America (if they ever release one) so that increases the chances of official support without having to re-buy the adapter.

I just don't trust the stuff coming out of China. It might work, but there's no chance it'll keep working if Tesla changes something or updates something, and who knows, Tesla might even try to pull some card about it voiding battery warranties or some crap.

If the adapters are passive, they should be no more than maybe $200 to $250. The level 2 adapter is $70 and already likely has a nice profit margin for Tesla. This is pure cash grab from the aftermarket guys, probably because of low volume sales. Also, did you notice that it’s out of stock?

Reactions: FMinMI
You know what? I think your right! I had forgotten that the 350KW rating was at high voltage vs the 250 KW rating of the V3 superchargers being at high current! This should be safe on any Electrify America charger :) Now I am even more eager to see a real world test and review!

Keith
I think that is probably correct for EVGo. They are much more like an urban network that supports travel within cities from what I've seen.

For EA, I don't think it is true. Their stations here are much more sparse than the superchargers. They do cover I26 better, for example, but that placement actually just leaves them with different gaps (I77, some parts of I20, and, uh, the whole east coast of NC).

In North Carolina, the state is doing a pretty good job of throwing >$100K per stall for 50 KW chargers in strange places, though. 🤦‍♂️

Guys, this "new" adapter looks very interesting. Waiting to see it properly tested:

Rich
Well, for my 2016.5 MS, it is not usable. I am surprised there are differences in the charge port between pre and post 2020 MS cars in the US...

Well, for my 2016.5 MS, it is not usable. I am surprised there are differences in the charge port between pre and post 2020 MS cars in the US...
It's not the charge port, but additional charging hardware that isn't present on older vehicles. Older S & X in Europe can be upgraded relatively inexpensively to use CCS charging so theoretically, older S & X in the US could be upgraded as well eventually.

I'll chime in here on Setec Power CCS adapter as I have been using it exclusively on my 2021 Model Y.

I live in NYC and I have an EA CCS adapter downstairs from me. 150W stations.

Confirming it works. Takes some getting used to as the CCS cables are very heavy and the adapter is about 5 lbs on its own because it has a battery pack built in.

Feel free to ask questions.

I'll chime in here on Setec Power CCS adapter as I have been using it exclusively on my 2021 Model Y.

I live in NYC and I have an EA CCS adapter downstairs from me. 150W stations.

Confirming it works. Takes some getting used to as the CCS cables are very heavy and the adapter is about 5 lbs on its own because it has a battery pack built in.

Feel free to ask questions.

Have you done any charging speed testing? I would love to see a video of 10% or less up to 90% or more using this adapter.

Keith

That's a really good question. It doesn't seem like there is anything to keep the vehicle from requesting more than 450 Amps. Although that might actually be ok at Electrify America. I think their "350 kw" stations are really only 350 amps, and can only really do 350kw on a 1000 volt system.

I'm sure someone will come along to correct me if I've messed up the details above. :)
I believe Electrify America’s “350 kW” dispensers actually can do up to 500A for at least 10 minutes (despite some of the cables being rated for 400A continuous).

So here's a dumb question. For the major non-Tesla networks - namely Electrify America and Chargepoint - how does the charging connection work? Do they have a combination of CCS and J1772 connections at each charging station? Or are some one and some the other?

I believe Electrify America’s “350 kW” dispensers actually can do up to 500A for at least 10 minutes (despite some of the cables being rated for 400A continuous).
Some of the highest power EA stations are listed as 320 KW, others are labeled as 350 KW Is that a labeling convention difference or a real difference with some rated for 800V at 400 amps (320 KW) and others rated at 1000V at 350 amps (350 KW)?

I wish manufacturers of CCS chargers would just list max amp and voltage available. Very frustrating in the Bolt to pull in to a 50 KW station to discover it is rated at 500V at 100 amps.... gives around 37 KW on a 400V system like the Bolt has. Other 50 KW CCS are actually 400V at 125 amps, this provides 45 KW to a Bolt.

Keith

So here's a dumb question. For the major non-Tesla networks - namely Electrify America and Chargepoint - how does the charging connection work? Do they have a combination of CCS and J1772 connections at each charging station? Or are some one and some the other?
We can't give any whole definitive answer since you are asking about multiple networks like Chargepoint and EA. Every company has their own decisions and priorities and those are even different in different states and different sites. The only way to find out what they have it to check the map listings, either on that network's website or app, or probably much more simply, on the Plugshare app, which includes all of them from the various networks.

For EA, those sites I think are all DC fast chargers and relatively few with any J1772. But that's a bit unique. For most of the other networks, like Blink Chargepoint, EVGo, Semacharge, etc. they seem to be much more J1772 all over the place and sometimes at the same sites with their fast stations and sometimes not.

Reactions: MP3Mike
We can't give any whole definitive answer since you are asking about multiple networks like Chargepoint and EA. Every company has their own decisions and priorities and those are even different in different states and different sites. The only way to find out what they have it to check the map listings, either on that network's website or app, or probably much more simply, on the Plugshare app, which includes all of them from the various networks.

For EA, those sites I think are all DC fast chargers and relatively few with any J1772. But that's a bit unique. For most of the other networks, like Blink Chargepoint, EVGo, Semacharge, etc. they seem to be much more J1772 all over the place and sometimes at the same sites with their fast stations and sometimes not.
Ok, I've looked at PlugShare and it's a little inconsistent with what they have at various sites. There is an EA charger at a mosque near me - free - that I keep meaning to check out, just to try it out (I have an account set up). The last 2 times I've gone there, they have both been occupied by cars of Orthodox Jews with New York plates. Which I find very ironic and kind of funny..... :cool:

Reactions: qingshan