Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla making Model 3 regen braking stronger via OTA update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’re all different of course but I’d like to see regen equivalent to my wife’s Bolt. Love that hers will bring the car to a complete stop. I also love the accompanying battery boost.
Having the Bolt come to a complete stop with the accelerator pedal alone does not equate to stronger regen. Where in the Tesla the region vanishes when the speed is too low, the Bolt at that point applies brakes. There is no accompanying battery boost to the braking scenario, I’m afraid.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
That's how it is shaping up, certainly. I never realized that the RWD regen was lower than the AWD. And now I guess they're at parity? I'm ready to have a third level in my AWD.... or as other suggested, how about just a sliding bar, and let me choose where I like it best?

Reactions: windgrins
AWD here w/ 42.3 this morning. At higher speeds it feels to me that the regen onset is slowed down. The car definitely feels more like it's coasting when going > 80 km/h and taking your foot off the pedal. Prior to this FW release taking my foot off would almost feel like you're pressing the brake. Now it feels much more gradual. I switched between LOW and STANDARD settings. The low is definitely lowest, and the STANDARD feels less than with 39.x firmware.

AWD here w/ 42.3 this morning. At higher speeds it feels to me that the regen onset is slowed down. The car definitely feels more like it's coasting when going > 80 km/h and taking your foot off the pedal. Prior to this FW release taking my foot off would almost feel like you're pressing the brake. Now it feels much more gradual. I switched between LOW and STANDARD settings. The low is definitely lowest, and the STANDARD feels less than with 39.x firmware.
That's not brightening my day even a little bit! about to head out for a 400-mile weekend, so will have plenty of time to test the new 42.3. I can't believe it would be dumbed down! Gah.

agree, feel like it doesnt kick in as hard at highway speeds, but kicks in harder at lower speeds.

42.3 update this morning. RWD. Butt-accelerometer estimate is 10-15% increase in regen. Feels better IMO.

+1. 10-15% increase, feels better. I agree.

And is it mentioned in your release notes? No mention of it in my all-wheel-drive. I have not actually driven the car yet ...

RWD only.

Non Tesla owner here but recently took a 2018 Leaf for a spin. It had the Epedal that brings the car to a complete stop. Anything like this on a model 3 Tesla. I kinda like the one pedal driving.

It's pretty close man. Unless you have to panic stop there's no real reason you can't get away with OPD in the Tesla Model 3. You still have to brake for final stoppage, but the brake will hold for you once you've stopped and you can let go.

+1. 10-15% increase, feels better. I agree.

RWD only.

It's pretty close man. Unless you have to panic stop there's no real reason you can't get away with OPD in the Tesla Model 3. You still have to brake for final stoppage, but the brake will hold for you once you've stopped and you can let go.

Thanks for the reply. We are in Palm Springs for the winter. We are going to wander down to the EL Paseo Tesla centre and book a test drive. We are an all EV household now but want to be well informed for the next EV. We have driven an S and an X, neither of which we can afford. The three or the Y might be a nice fit though. We were impressed with the new Leaf though. And it has a heated steering wheel. :).

agree, feel like it doesnt kick in as hard at highway speeds, but kicks in harder at lower speeds.
After 150 miles of driving on the update, I agree that this is a good description. A bit less regen from high speed, and a bit more aggressive at low speed.

Non Tesla owner here but recently took a 2018 Leaf for a spin. It had the Epedal that brings the car to a complete stop. Anything like this on a model 3 Tesla. I kinda like the one pedal driving.
As mentioned above... many of us are effectively "one pedal driving" all of the Teslas. All of the Teslas operate the same basic "one pedal" way, and none of them will reliably bring the car to a complete stop like the new Leaf and the Bolt both do. Of course this absolutely *could* be done, but at this stage Tesla has designed it to allow the driver to operate the friction brakes when desired. In my daily, regular driving, it is rare that I use the brake pedal more than a couple of times in my 3.

What I'm not clear about on the Nissan and GM systems is if the final slowing includes any energy-consuming motor slowing, or if when slower than ~ 5mph, the brakes are used exclusively. Because of the seamlessness of the stop in those cars, I'm inclined to believe that some active motor slowing is used. So basically "anti-regen" if you will.

Thanks for the reply. We are in Palm Springs for the winter. We are going to wander down to the EL Paseo Tesla centre and book a test drive. We are an all EV household now but want to be well informed for the next EV. We have driven an S and an X, neither of which we can afford. The three or the Y might be a nice fit though. We were impressed with the new Leaf though. And it has a heated steering wheel. :).

Nothing beats the styling of an S or a Model 3 imo. I look forward to seeing the Model Y, I hope they move away from the continious contour of the X. That's the ugly duckling I think.

Leaf is a great car. You'll have a hard time finding any car ever made with a lower cost of ownership over time than a Leaf imo.

Congrats on being an all-EV household! The new Leaf is a fantastic car, if the range is enough for your daily needs. The 3, however is... well, you've driven the S and X... the 3 is a more nimble, right-sized S, IMO. About 1.5 months and 2,000 miles into my 3, and I'm still astonished at what this car can do... and what it represents. But yeah, about that heated steering wheel.... :)

We have a 2016 SV Leaf. 30 KWh hour battery. Serves all our needs...presently...but early retirement in 3 or 4 years will bring the need for longer range and maybe the need to pull a 1550 pound pop up trailer. The 3 or Y would definetly be a better fit.

Hey. Another question for you. The newer leafs have the colusion avoidance auto braking thing etc. I have been playing with the configurator on the Tesla website. Do I need to select EAP to get that facility? Also a deal breaker for my wife. We would probably get it anyway. Seems kinda cool...but pricey.

Hey. Another question for you. The newer leafs have the colusion avoidance auto braking thing etc. I have been playing with the configurator on the Tesla website. Do I need to select EAP to get that facility? Also a deal breaker for my wife. We would probably get it anyway. Seems kinda cool...but pricey.

No, you don't need to get EAP for automatic emergency braking. It's a standard feature.

Most people perceive it as "automatic braking" and I'd like to make it clear it's not necessarilly going to stop a collision. It's going to soften the collision for your safety.

It also has an adjustable alarm that you can set for auditory collision alerts.

When they screwed up LR regen last time, it was the same thing, you wouldn't notice regen much at all above 60 miles an hour but then it picks up as your speed drops. It makes it difficult to drive at high speed at safely because you do not have the showing effect on the pedal when you need it. I assume that is why the upcoming track mode have stronger regen as well.