Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla making noise when driving (battery/motor noise) (NOT AC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had our Tesla since 2014 and it has never made any noise when driving besides the AC cooling down the battery. Just very recently when accelerating I hear a faint buzzing noise, and when sitting in the back seats near the motors you can clearly hear a buzzing noise. NOTE: This has never been heard before and only recently has it became an issue.

I have the same issue - 85KW, 2012, 86K miles. Drive unit was replaced a few years back, this is different, front, not back. Not A/C, not some "start-up" noise. At low speeds, no radio on, a distinct sound tied to acceleration. A "whirr" or electrical sound, no through the speakers. This is not the "extreme acceleration whirr" that most of the cars have - this is at normal, if not slower acceleration. I brought it up months ago during service, but I really think they didn't try to hard to duplicate it, so many other things they were focused on. When I brought it up, the answer was a "uh, yeah, I don't think they could duplicate it". Well, I duplicated it as I drove away. It has been increasing moderately, and can't be heard as easy the faster you drive - could be just from increased road noise, or it does go away. Anyone else have this issue serviced?

I have the same issue - 85KW, 2012, 86K miles. Drive unit was replaced a few years back, this is different, front, not back. Not A/C, not some "start-up" noise. At low speeds, no radio on, a distinct sound tied to acceleration. A "whirr" or electrical sound, no through the speakers. This is not the "extreme acceleration whirr" that most of the cars have - this is at normal, if not slower acceleration. I brought it up months ago during service, but I really think they didn't try to hard to duplicate it, so many other things they were focused on. When I brought it up, the answer was a "uh, yeah, I don't think they could duplicate it". Well, I duplicated it as I drove away. It has been increasing moderately, and can't be heard as easy the faster you drive - could be just from increased road noise, or it does go away. Anyone else have this issue serviced?
I wonder if you had the problem solved/serviced. I am facing the same issue with a P60 2014. Started 6 mo ago. Noise only noticeable upon accelerating. I am just hoping that Tesla will not give the default answer "yes, that is normal" - we know it is not.