TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla making noise when driving (battery/motor noise) (NOT AC)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by D3monw3st, Jul 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. D3monw3st

D3monw3st New Member

I've had our Tesla since 2014 and it has never made any noise when driving besides the AC cooling down the battery. Just very recently when accelerating I hear a faint buzzing noise, and when sitting in the back seats near the motors you can clearly hear a buzzing noise. NOTE: This has never been heard before and only recently has it became an issue.

2. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

What does service say?

3. D3monw3st

D3monw3st New Member

Haven't talked to service yet, though I will give them a call as soon as they're open.

4. hiddengems99

hiddengems99 Member

I have the same issue - 85KW, 2012, 86K miles. Drive unit was replaced a few years back, this is different, front, not back. Not A/C, not some "start-up" noise. At low speeds, no radio on, a distinct sound tied to acceleration. A "whirr" or electrical sound, no through the speakers. This is not the "extreme acceleration whirr" that most of the cars have - this is at normal, if not slower acceleration. I brought it up months ago during service, but I really think they didn't try to hard to duplicate it, so many other things they were focused on. When I brought it up, the answer was a "uh, yeah, I don't think they could duplicate it". Well, I duplicated it as I drove away. It has been increasing moderately, and can't be heard as easy the faster you drive - could be just from increased road noise, or it does go away. Anyone else have this issue serviced?

5. SC2018

SC2018 New Member

I wonder if you had the problem solved/serviced. I am facing the same issue with a P60 2014. Started 6 mo ago. Noise only noticeable upon accelerating. I am just hoping that Tesla will not give the default answer "yes, that is normal" - we know it is not.