Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Making Unapproved Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shorty after I bought my car, Tesla took away the ability to limit regenerative braking. Most recently, Tesla decided to remove radar in favor of their Tesla vision. These changes were not mandated by a government agency, these changes were made at Tesla's whim.

What gives Tesla the right to do such things? The arrogance of Tesla is truly shocking!

It is not arrogance. As a company, Tesla has the right to make changes to their products any time they want. And Tesla has always made changes to their cars as they go, sometimes without notice. Tesla cars are constantly evolving. I understand it can be frustrating to customers but it has also allowed Tesla to innovate more quickly since they can just make a change that they need to make right away, without waiting for the next "year model" or getting permission.

Shorty after I bought my car, Tesla took away the ability to limit regenerative braking. Most recently, Tesla decided to remove radar in favor of their Tesla vision. These changes were not mandated by a government agency, these changes were made at Tesla's whim.

What gives Tesla the right to do such things? The arrogance of Tesla is truly shocking!

New features added for "free" on my 2017 vintage vehicle as part of the exact same process:

• Navigate on Autopilot (my 2017 was sold and marketed with the equivalent of Autopilot 1.0)
  • Dashcam
  • Sentry
  • Summon
  • Smart Summon
  • Spotify
  • Tidal
  • Games
  • Fart Noises (!)
  • Ludicrous+ mode
  • UI Version 8, 9, 10 and 11
  • Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, YouTube
  • Supercharging speed increase
  • Obstacle Aware Acceleration
  • Mapping Updates
  • Lane Assist
  • Cabin Overheat Protection
  • Dog Mode
  • Camping Mode
  • Etc...

I'm not a huge fan of it either. Specifically, not being able to totally opt out of software updates. On an iPhone for instance, you could just never install an update (although Apple has run afoul of this as well with AirPods software updates that make noise cancelling worse that you cannot opt out of... sigh).

If software updates were purely optional, I'd have no objection to how Tesla operates.

As long as it's the users choice I have no problem with having to switch to Vision Only for example to get all the new features. I guess there's not much incentive for Tesla to change how they operate though, it's not egregious enough to hurt sales. Sometimes it seems funny how much attention nothing burger issues like panel gaps and Elon's tweets get so much attention when there are more subtle but legitimately objectionable things Tesla does.

Tesla is not an ordinary car company. They are a technology company who makes cars. For 100 years people are used to buying a car that stays exactly the same for the entire life of the vehicle. You want performance improvements? You buy a new car. You want new technology? You buy a new car. Tesla comes along and disrupts the market with a vehicle that can change, and does change over time. When have we seen ANY car company that offers to upgrade our older vehicles with new technology to give us new features we didn't have before?!?

It's going to take time for people to realize this when they buy a Tesla - they are buying a car that is constantly changing with features. A little research before buying a car would go a long way.

they broke the XM on my Model X, and won't even pretend it's not working correctly.
You don't have to fix what you don't admit is broke!

they also stripped AP from 90 MPH to 85.

they broke the XM on my Model X, and won't even pretend it's not working correctly.
You don't have to fix what you don't admit is broke!

they also stripped AP from 90 MPH to 85.
Can get an extra couple mph out of it I think by switching to KM

Reactions: ATPMSD
You absolutely can just not install any software updates on the car. After you drive it off the lot, just never press the install button on the software that's downloaded to the car - and don't connect it to any wifi. It'll never change.

NOTE: You may never be able to take the car into service, as service may be required to update your firmware when you bring in the car, especially if it involves a government regulated safety recall that was solved with a software update.

• Informative
Reactions: loquitur
You absolutely can just not install any software updates on the car. After you drive it off the lot, just never press the install button on the software that's downloaded to the car - and don't connect it to any wifi. It'll never change.

NOTE: You may never be able to take the car into service, as service may be required to update your firmware when you bring in the car, especially if it involves a government regulated safety recall that was solved with a software update.

Hmm.

The same issue has existed with software for decades. Users complain ....understandably...when features are changed and/or removed as part of software updates.

Tesla is much the same. Your buying a rolling computer that gets updates.

The only thing you can do is read the release notes before installing an update. If you don't like what has been done don't install it. The only problem with this is that new features or efficiency improvement may be included in the update as well.

It's frustrating to lose a feature or function you use. Why not submit feedback to Tesla?

Reactions: Dewg

Grats on the new car! Technically Tesla didnt remove regen braking, just made it a lot smoother by fine tuning between the software leaving the hardware untouched; nothing is removed. I feel that the new regen pace alot smoother, and i think the reason mainly is for AP and FSD having smoother braking, the previous version are quite aggressive.

The whole decision of radar removal its also because the occupancy network are ready to take on the role of the radar, which i think if the vision software are ready i dont see why using extra sensors to do stuff that the vision are able to do. The most recent interview with Andrej (Formal AI head from Tesla) also explained it pretty clearly. Interview with Andrej

Tesla has the right to modify anything they want with their hardware and software, as long as its safe and not causing havoc on the road.

Going through govt agency is the last thing that any innovation company wants, risk assessments by many departments of basically conclude nothing most of the time.

Last edited:

Some great answers on here but the actual answer is this term you agreed to when you purchased the vehicle.

We use software in connection with the Service. We own or have rights to all such software and you do not acquire any rights in such software other than the right to use such software as reasonably necessary for you to use the Service as permitted in your Terms & Conditions. We may update or modify the software contained in your Vehicle from time to time, and we may do this remotely without notifying you or seeking your consent. These software updates and modifications may affect or erase data that you have previously stored on the equipment in your Vehicle (such as specific route or destination information). We are not responsible for any lost or erased (or otherwise affected) data and you are solely responsible for the data that you may have downloaded, uploaded, transmitted or otherwise stored from, to, on or through the equipment or Service.

You understand that software available is dependent on vehicle configuration and geographical region, which may affect your access to the Service and/or any of its features.

The good thing about Tesla is software update, new features can be added, bugs can be fixed. Many years ago, my civic frequently got CEL and been to the shop many times, until I complained to the corporate, they actually made a new computer (not using a new current gen), shipped to the dealer and finally fixed the problem. The trade off with Tesla is of course, new version of software they may remove features that they think are no longer needed, have better options, or government mandate; good thing is most of time, OTA is sufficient and no need to visit SC.

Reactions: Inci Willard